Original Post

Motion controls on Switch(handheld)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Nintendo Switch
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Lonestar
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. none
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. always
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? all the time
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue?
What happens when the bug occurs? none
What should be happening instead? camera-like motion
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? just use motion controls

The motion controls is hard on handheld mode.. it acts like a steering wheel, which makes the screen hard to see and aim when tilting(steer) 

for panic button (also the porter of warframe) 
- i would like to have the same motion of the aiming (specially horizontal) to have the same aim motion on warframe where you can just tilt sidewards(or camera like motion where the camera turns where the switch is pointing to) for the camera to turn (compared to apex which you need to tilt like a steering wheel for the screen to turn)

this will make the motion controls bearable to use for handheld as the steering motion is only good on tabletop, docked, or with a pro controller where the screen doesn't move

Message 1 of 21 (3,630 Views)

Switch Motion Controls

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I just tried out the Switch version. For the hardware it runs pretty well, thanks for the effort Standard smile. As a frequent player of Switch games though the motion controls need some work. I can barely move the camera horizontally even at the default max horizontal sensitivity. There are also times where it seems like a right motion causes the camera to move left and vice-versa

Message 2 of 21 (3,205 Views)

Re: Motion controls on Switch(handheld)

★★★★ Novice

Hello. This appears to be an intended feature, as you are not the only person having this problem. I assume a patch and/or update will come soon, fixing the problem. Try scrolling around in settings and see if anything there helps you.

Message 3 of 21 (3,587 Views)

Re: Switch Motion Controls

Community Manager
@Syntheseize thank you for letting us know about this, to check are you using a pro controller or the default side controllers?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 4 of 21 (3,174 Views)

Re: Switch Motion Controls

★★★ Newbie

I was playing handheld with the joycons

Message 5 of 21 (3,157 Views)

★★ Novice

Same exact issue - with fortnite you can switch between docked and non docked mode. They only made a docked mode - which means switch lite can’t play. They need to fix this ASAP 

Message 6 of 21 (3,510 Views)

gyro

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

The new port of the game for the nintendo switch is very impressive but I've had an issue with the motion control which make the game about unplayable at the moment.

It seems the developers implemented gyro control differently from the Y to the X axe and this makes things very clunky in game. The Y motion controls uses ''pitch'' as its axis of rotation while the X axis uses ''roll'' instead of ''yaw''. This means the controller doesn't read movements of a pivot around the player from side to side only on the x axis. The only way to look left/right is to rotate the whole console on itself clockwise/counter-clockwise like a steering wheel. Having the whole display tilting from one side to another in this manner takes me completely out of the experience as I have to remember a very unnatural way to aim but only for one of the axis of movement.

I hope this issue is resolved soon as every new player on switch will have the motion controls on by default and this will most likely give a bad impression of these controls.

Will this issue be fixed with an upcoming update?

Message 7 of 21 (3,135 Views)

Community Manager

Thank you for the reports!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 21 (3,266 Views)

Re: gyro

★★★★ Novice
Message 9 of 21 (3,043 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah this kinda killed it for me before I even got started. Come from warframe where motion controls are 10/10 to this and horizontal movement is 0.1/10. Like, turned all the way up with horizontal as high as it can go, you can spin your switch or pro controller around 360° and you will have moved like 2 on-screen pixels in that direction as a result. This needs to be fixed quick, they cleared screwed something up on the horizontal axis.

Message 10 of 21 (3,151 Views)