Re: Missing UI elements (Minimap and Compass) during gameplay.

by EA_David

Original Post

Missing UI elements (Minimap and Compass) during gameplay.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 970 4GB
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Paulanerpapi
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. -
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Steam (game is steam version), Discord
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? happens with multiple legends (all that I tested)
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? -
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Firing Ground, King's Canyon, happens everywhere
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. occurs during the whole game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Appeared during the first match I played on the day/reboot and persisted
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 21.02.21 17:00 UTC+1
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Mini map and compass UI components are missing.
What should be happening instead? Self-explanatory.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Hard to reproduce as I can't identify a sequence of events that caused it.

UI Elements like the minimap and compass are missing, refer to screenshot. Bottom cutoff is related to clipping tool and not related to the issue.

What I tried and hasn't helped:

• Re-installing the game from scratch.
  • Resetting game's UI related settings.
  • Resetting the game's video settings
  • clean installing the newest GPU drivers

Missing UI Elements

Message 1 of 16 (10,509 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Paulanerpapi,

Thank you for the report! What resolution do you have the game set to? Are you using any sort of additional command line arguments? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 16 (10,475 Views)

★★★ Novice

Game is running at 1920x1080 and I have not added any command line arguments.

Message 3 of 16 (10,464 Views)

Community Manager

@Paulanerpapi 

Gotcha, thanks!

What happens if you try starting up your PC in a Clean Boot before launching Apex Legends? If there's anything else running on the PC that could somehow be causing this that may help to get around it. 

For more details on how to set up a Clean Boot check out the EA Help website. Once you've had the chance to give it a shot please let me know. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 16 (10,433 Views)

★★★ Novice

I did a clean boot and the issue still persisted. Only had steam running next to the game. Overall very little is running on the OS because I almost only use it to play Apex and am dual booting. So it is a relatively clean windows installation.

I also took a better screenshot, because the old one had a few issues from the snipping tool.

apex-2-min.PNG

Message 5 of 16 (10,410 Views)

Community Manager

@Paulanerpapi 

Hmm, gotcha. That's pretty weird. This just recently started happening? You weren't having any similar issues before now? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 16 (10,386 Views)

★★★ Novice

It started happening on the 21.02.21 and I had any UI issues like this before.

Message 7 of 16 (10,376 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@Paulanerpapi Thanks for the post. Can you try deleting your settings file and see if anything changes?

If you go to C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\profile you can find a profile folder with UI config info, maybe something's gone wrong with that. If you delete that, does anything change? You might get a sync prompt, if so, choose the local option and it should create a new file from a default template.

If this doesn't have an impact you can try going to Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local and delete the settings and videoconfig files too, and try again. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 16 (10,331 Views)

★★★ Novice

If you go to C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\profile you can find a profile folder with UI config info, maybe something's gone wrong with that. If you delete that, does anything change? You might get a sync prompt, if so, choose the local option and it should create a new file from a default template.

Did not fix the problem.

If this doesn't have an impact you can try going to Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local and delete the settings and videoconfig files too, and try again. 

Did not fix the problem.

I went ahead and deleted the whole Apex saved games folder and which unfortunately didn't change anything either.

Message 9 of 16 (10,305 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for trying that anyway, it eliminates a lot of potential candidates. 

Have you performed a repair on the game recently? 

On Steam you can take the following steps: 

1. Restart your computer and launch Steam
  2. From a game's library page, select Manage > Properties.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files... button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 16 (10,289 Views)