by PuppyofJam

Original Post

Mentor instruments doesn't show up

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.83.24.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them except Bantu, knitting and interior designer
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? What? Play my game on my PC I guess.
What happens when the bug occurs? Mentor acting. There is not option to mentor on the instrument being played. My Sim has maxed all the instruments.
What do you expect to see? Mentor piano or mentor guitar or mentor violin
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

My Sim just started the musical genius aspiration.  She has maxed all the musical instruments.  She first tried to hire a pianist and when that didn't work, she added him to  her household.  That didn't work, so I restarted the game and tried again - both with the added household member and the hired pianist.  She can only mentor acting.  An in-game screenshot doesn't capture the dialogue, but I'm sure you can picture it.  It's a normal dialogue window that opens up, but instead of mentor whatever instrument is being played, it only offers mentor acting.  Oh I also tried disabling autonomy.  

Edit By Crinrict:  Adjusted Title to better reflect the issue

Message 1 of 8 (7,683 Views)

Re: Only Mentors Acting

Hero

@PuppyofJam 

Do you have an option that says just "Mentor".  Sometimes, the option does not show up on the first menu and you have to click More Choices one or two time to find it.  For the instruments and pretty much anything else other than Acting, that is the option you need to use.  And to be able to Mentor a skill, the sim must be level 10 in the skill.  

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 8 (7,657 Views)

Hero
@PuppyofJam Did you click on the Sim while they were practicing music ? Also how is the relationship ? I think that also plays a role,

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 8 (7,635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

No.  Only Mentor acting. I did it exactly as it's supposed to work.  I hired a stranger to play piano at a party and tried mentoring them.  Then as I mentioned in my post, I added them to the household and maxed our friendship.  

(CM: Multiple posts merged. Check out this post for tips on how to edit and add more to a post.)

Message 4 of 8 (7,588 Views)

Hero

Did a quick test and it does show up for me

Had my Sim play the guitar (the one with low skill) and then clicked on her with my high skill Sim and go the option

Bild_2022-02-02_172416.png

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 8 (7,564 Views)

Champion

@PuppyofJam Hello!  I agree with @crinrict here.  The sim who is learning must be practicing / playing the instrument.  Then make the mentor sim active (click on the mentor sim thumbnail) and click on the learning sim to get the mentor option.

In this image the sim on the left is the active sim and the sim on the right is the one learning violin.  The menu shows the active sim's options when clicking on the sim practicing violin.

Mentor.png

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 6 of 8 (7,501 Views)

Re: Mentor instruments doesn't show up

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4

Platform: PC

Hello! I'm sorry if this is a bit late. I had this dilemma too.

Sim 1

Guitar Skill - 10

Piano Skill - 4

Sim 2

No musical skills at all

I wanted Sim1 to finish the aspiration so I made Sim2 practice the piano. I kept looking for the mentor option however, I just couldn't find it. So I had this idea to make Sim2 practice the guitar instead. When I selected Sim1, that's when the mentor option popped up. Hope this somehow helps!

Message 7 of 8 (3,840 Views)

Re: Mentor instruments doesn't show up

Champion

@P0wderedxSugar    Hi!  I'm glad you were able to figure that out.  Maybe you noticed it already but I wanted to clarify, just in case, that a sim has to have level 10 skill for an instrument in order to mentor others on that instrument.  That's why your Sim 1 was able to mentor Guitar but not Piano, since they're only level 4 there.  Happy Simming!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 8 of 8 (3,735 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help