[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Android Phone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Not device specific
OS Version Newest Android OS
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode ) 145242577
What type of issue do you have? Gameplay
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Summarize your bug Bug in GAC matchmaking appearing when matching opponents outside Divisions based on a lower opponents tier/number of defensive placement requirements.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves?
Connection Type Wifi
Please select your region North America
Country United States

I would like to bring to attention what I believe to be an unintended bug present in the newest implemented match making system. I have a very PvP oriented account focused on mods and top meta characters. In the old match making system I won 99% of my Grand Arena battles because TW and GA are the two aspects of the game I enjoy most, and I have meticulously developed my roster to cater to those modes, I have great mods and teams compared to anyone else who has invested a similar amount of time and money into their rosters as myself.

However; with the new match making I believe I've run into an unintended matchmaking bug. Because I am being placed in matches against Div 1 opponents whilst being a division 2 player I am falling into the category that matches Lower GP players vs Higher GP players on a lower bracket of teams they can field. Since I have a total of 60 G12+ characters, I am being matched on only those 60 against individuals ranging from 400-600 Character GP and approximately 1 million over all GP higher then myself. The bug that I've noticed is that while some stats are comparable (number or zetas, Mots) I'm being matched against individuals that have significantly more G12 characters. Usually 20-30 more then myself. The systems matches us on my lower amount of high end Characters, but not in any way taking into consideration the huge discrepancy in number of top end meta teams available to field by my opponents.

This places me at a huge disadvantage because I usually have 2-3 less fully maxed out meta teams against every opponent I am facing. I am forced into a situation where I either have to place very noncompetitive and low geared teams on defense and give up a bunch of banners for free, or placing too much defense and not being able to clear the enemy board due to the extra meta with high gear.

I am a very savvy player that understands the game dynamics very well and these match-ups I am facing are virtually impossible to win when facing other savvy players with that large of an advantage. I have gone from winning almost every match-up in the previous matchmaking, to losing 90% of match ups in this new match making, because I am forced to compete vs a 2-3 meta team advantage against players that have upwards of 90 gear 12/13 characters, while i am in the 60s. If my roster was being matched on 80 Characters I would not be matched vs these opponents, but since the system is defaulting down to only 60 characters required in the Division 2 bracket which I am in, and I am being matched up against opponents that belong in the Division 1 bracket, its simply isn't taking those extra squads into consideration creating an extremely unbalanced match-up.

This has been a very discouraging and disheartening change in the game that has turned my enjoyment of SWGOH into resentment. SWGOH is a resource management game, but this new system punishes players for being very good at resource management . I have been handicapped for being a savvy player who has spent money and time smartly to develop a competitive roster, I can't imagine this being an intended effect so I am certain this is a bug in the system.

I have already missed out on rewards and zetas from the past two GAC iterations, and the current one doesn't seem to be any different. Even more important is the lack of enjoyment in a mode that was previously my favorite.

Please take a look at this issue in GAC. Although I fall into a small percentage of players with the level of time investment and focus I have put into my roster, from speaking to other savvy players, I know I am not the only one facing this bug and it has definitely ruined the enjoyment for me in one of the funnest game modes.

GACmatchup2.PNG
Message 1 of 4 (432 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Matchmaking bug in GAC

EA Live QV Team

Hi @Lothar582 and thank you for your detailed report.

Division 2 players have to set 8 defense squads, the same as division 1 and therefore the top 80 characters are considered to calculate your viable GP (plus some other criteria) for the matchmaking. The matchmaking across divisions is not a bug but intended under specific circumstances. We think the new matchmaking calculation so far is providing more close matches and improves the overall experience.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (384 Views)

All Replies

EA Live QV Team

Hi @Lothar582 and thank you for your detailed report.

Division 2 players have to set 8 defense squads, the same as division 1 and therefore the top 80 characters are considered to calculate your viable GP (plus some other criteria) for the matchmaking. The matchmaking across divisions is not a bug but intended under specific circumstances. We think the new matchmaking calculation so far is providing more close matches and improves the overall experience.

Message 2 of 4 (385 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi there

i have experienced a similar issue, being placed against a division 4 character when I am in division 5, meaning without even starting they have 8 squads set out and I have six, so even if neither of us were to battle they would win by a clear amount...

this is the second time this has happened to me.

Message 3 of 4 (317 Views)

@liamtaylor2137 Hey can you provide the ally code for yourself and your opponent for review?

You responded to a year old thread. Back then cross-division matching was allowed but now it shouldn't happen.