Re: [Common] Disappearing Sims

by praxis22

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Last night I bit the bullet and did  clean de-install & re-install, copying over only saves, tray & mods. This was surprisingly quick, and got around some text corruption issues I was having in game too, (apparently cased by the Origin client.) I test booted the game and created a new Sim, and loaded into live mode, all was working. Then I copied my data back. Once I booted back into the game I saved all my families out of household management into my local library, so I didn't lose them again.

Then I tried going into live mode, which loaded, but again with no Sims, and with holes in the live mode UI. I went back to the town page, and Sims were still present, so I tried going back to live mode, same result, so I came back out again, and this time all my Sims were gone, So tonight I'll probably have to repeat the whole process. Then start spellunking my 6GB mod dir, from reading this may be caused my mods that alter townies, pregnancy and reactions to school right?

Will update when I know more. 

Message 31 of 49 (580 Views)

Re: All Sims Disappeared; Nothing Left But Names

★ Novice

i have the same problem!!! please tell me you found a solution

Message 32 of 49 (591 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@crinrict Do you have a technical description as to what you think is actually happening?

My presumption would be that corruption is only possible of the base game save files. However given that many mods are just XML or python scripts, it leads me to think that the game''s simulation core may actually just be a giant database of some kind, and that much like any other DB the instance is being saved to disk periodically/at shutdown, and loaded back into memory at game start. If that were the case then base game corruption would indeed be possible from loading simple mods. Since there would only be a defined state at first boot.

Do you have any links that explain the games backend system at a technical level. I've got 30+ years of punching deck, and I wrangle databases semi-professionally.  I'm just looking for a way to understand the beast. Until this happened I was just thinking of this as a game, with defined data structures, but I seem to remember reading that this was a top down rebuild, and that accounted for why it was so fast to boot , (even with 6GB  of mods) unlike Sims3 which used to crawl on boot the more you loaded into it. I was getting close to 5 mins load time when last I played Sims3 seriously.

Appologies to anyone who doesn't understand any of that, I'm just trying to understand the game to better protect myself from this happening again.

Message 33 of 49 (588 Views)

Hero

I really don't know what's happening. Never looked at the code or tried to figure out how it works (there's just not enough hours in the day to do that too)

For some, removing the mods helps. I do know that pregnancy mods (which are mostly XML mod) do screw up the game but for most, it works again if the mods are taken out. 

So, either people are not removing their mods properly or something is saved. To find out, someone would need to upload a save game so I can try in my game to see if I can duplicate. 

You'll find some tech info here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions or I recommend you talk to the modders at Modthesims.

I also see an issue where errors actually carry over to other save games if you don't completely shut down your game so something is cached that causes that. Not sure if it's the autosave or something else.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 34 of 49 (575 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i cant play the game Frown

1 .  if i when i wanted to start in live mode it happens to all my sims !

2 . they live in a house or just a lot

3.played

4. all ,even baby's !

please what can i do ? i really wanna play (it happend wen i updated  )

Message 35 of 49 (569 Views)

★ Novice

All of my sims have disappeared, rendering the game unplayable. If i make a new family, it disappears as soon as i place it into a home. Ive tried making new save files, and taking out custom content but nothing works. Frown

Message 36 of 49 (568 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@smokesforharris @1-mabel-1

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 37 of 49 (562 Views)

in game bug/glitch (sims don't show up and sims not in lots)

★★ Novice

so lately i have found a glitch in the game that breaks the game...
all the sims just disappear like my taskbar where you can click on the sims to change to them but there are no sims!
is missing to show you what i mean here is picture...
(i made a random sim and opened a empty lot with no house on it but the house is still there... JUST NOT THE SIMS!)

http://i.imgur.com/KrTEZ8q
(please click the links at the bottom to see the full picture i put them on all of the pictures)

and when i restart the game say like i played for one day and then saved the game like it was perfectly fine because when i start a new sims fresh form create-a-sim it will work perfectly fine untill i restart the game this is what happens!

http://i.imgur.com/aH5fRbw

the profiles of the sims should come up on the bottom right corner but there not even thought the house is occupied...
and then i click the lot it just zooms into the lot like this picture here:

http://imgur.com/NHatfcz

see it is very frustrating and i need to find a solution now i pretty shore there are people out there that where this has happened...
i have talked to EA live chat and they told me that this is not the first case this has happened.
so they said that i should post on this forum.
if you have a solution please tell up by replying to this topic please i really need help!
thank you so much...

Message 38 of 49 (544 Views)

Re: in game bug/glitch (sims don't show up and sims not in lots)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Remove any mods you might have.

@trainset123

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 39 of 49 (533 Views)

Re: in game bug/glitch (sims don't show up and sims not in lots)

★★ Novice

sorry it still didnt work...

Message 40 of 49 (518 Views)