by IngeJones

Original Post

[OPEN] Locked doors not working when a sim leaves the lot

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.29.3.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Backyard Stuff, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Spa Day, Laundry Day Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Parenthood, Get to Work, Strangerville, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Dine Out, Get Famous, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, City Living, Island Living, Fitness Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Lock a bedroom door to prevent access by a specific sim 2. For the chosen sim, have them go to work - away from the lot 3. When they return from their work, attempt to have the chosen sim walk through the locked door. 4. This also applies to setting the No Trespassing option on a door.
What happens when the bug occurs? Regardless of however the door is locked (either specifically choosing the sim's name, or choosing the option to lock the door for everyone), the sim that goes to work (away from the lot), is then able to pass through the locked door.
What do you expect to see? I would like to see a door which is locked, remain locked, even if a specific sim leaves the lot.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Earlier today, I tested locking doors with 4 separate sims.  In each test, here is what I observed:

1. I locked a bedroom door (using the option to prevent a specified sim from opening the door)
  2. Prior to the selected sim going to work, they are indeed unable to open the locked bedroom door
  3. The selected sim went to work, and left the lot
  4. When the selected sim returned from work, they were then able to open the previously locked door
  5. The only way to prevent this was to again lock the bedroom door, each time the selected sim returned from work.

In a group of 8 sims, having 4 which go to work away from the lot, caused the locking of doors to have no effect.  During my tests, each selected sim worked different jobs.  Regardless of how the door was locked (by specifying a name, or choosing the option to prevent access to all except another sim, such as the bedroom occupant, had no difference.  I also tried combining the different methods of how to lock a door.

The only way to prevent a sim from bypassing a locked door, after they left the lot, was prevent a selected sim from ever leaving the lot.  Many careers make this impossible.

Beyond the locking of a specified door (such as a bedroom), this also appears to affect the setting of the No Trespassing option on the front door.  I chose to allow Vampires to trespass, and disallowed all others.  When a sim left the lot (such as for a job), and they returned from work, all the No Trespassing options were set to disallow.

As noted above, I tested this with 4 separate sims, with different combinations of locking a door and setting the No Trespassing option.  As soon as a sim leaves a lot, all locked door/No Trespassing options reset to default options and the sim is then able to access locked areas.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 20 (2,791 Views)

Re: Locked doors not working when a sim leaves the lot

Hero
@TheSolidRequiem Does it only reset when they go to work or also after travelling ? Is it also happening if they go to rabbithole jobs or only for active careers where you travel with them ?

The trespassing reset on travelling and has a thread here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Door-Function-Resets-Upon-Travelling-or-Exit/td-p/...

So it might affect the lot door as well

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 20 (2,737 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@crinrict  It happen anytime Sims leaves the lot

Message 3 of 20 (2,689 Views)

Hero
@LadyDarkSorrow As in Loading screen leaves or just goes to a rabbithole job ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 20 (2,685 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@crinrict  loading screen leaves mostly, does happen when rabbit holes 

Message 5 of 20 (2,676 Views)

Hero
@LadyDarkSorrow For rabbitholes only when you lock the Sims in or also if they aren't inside the locked room as OP describes ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 20 (2,662 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@crinrict  when a target Sim locks the door on any settings then leaves lot like Rabbit hole/ screen loading those doors are no longer locked. if you have 2 Sims, sent one to bar/etc and return to 2nd Sim on home lot those doors are unlocked or reset.. if you stay on home lot and lock a townie be hide locked door, those doors will stay locked until target Sim leaves lot

Message 7 of 20 (2,640 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@LadyDarkSorrow I get the leaving lot, that's the same issue as I linked above. Guess I need to test the rabbit hole myself tomorrow as it doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: So I did some testing and can't duplicate this at all. Sims going to rabbithole jobs couldn't even go through the door if they were locked to them and if I teleported them outside and send them to rabbithole, the doors were still locked afterwards.

The Sim at the science career did of course go to work if I joined but coming back, the door was still locked as well. It's only the trespassing stuff that resets for me.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 20 (2,624 Views)

Locked doors do not remain locked

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.34
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Backyard Stuff, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Spa Day, Laundry Day Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Parenthood, Get to Work, Strangerville, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Dine Out, Get Famous, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, City Living, Island Living, Fitness Stuff, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Lock a door and then allow a sim to leave the lot, such as for a job. When they return they're able to ignore all locks
What happens when the bug occurs? After leaving a lot, such as for a job, all locked doors are no longer locked
What do you expect to see? Locked doors to work normally - regardless if they're inward or outward facing doors.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

On more than one occasion, if a sim leave a lot, such as if they go to a job, all doors on a lot are no longer locked when they return to the original lot..  Regardless of the reason they leave a lot, when they return, all locked doors are unlocked.  As a result, I either cannot have a sim go to a job, or leave the lot for whatever reason - knowing when they return,all locked doors will be unlocked. 

Message 9 of 20 (2,579 Views)

Re: Locked doors do not remain locked

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Oh that was one of the things meant to be fixed in the Nov 10th patch!  I assume you're all patched up?  Yup 1.34  you have said.  Have you tried saving your game just before travelling away from lot?

Message 10 of 20 (2,574 Views)