by Jungle-Beard

Original Post

Lag Switch Abusers

★★ Guide

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Jungle-Beard
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In game, anywhere on the map
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Playing the game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Constantly
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Players are abusing lag switches to temporary stop their connection to kill people around corners, or through doorways without exposing themselves. Thus giving them a free kill, and no risk
What should be happening instead? Once a connection is stopped, it should auto boot the abuser, and not attempt to try and reconnect the user to the game.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Simply play a match. Or if you want to see how it works, just build or buy a lag switch for the PS4, and see how easy it is to abuse.

By using a lag switch, a player is able to disrupt uploads from the client to the server, while their own client queues up the actions performed. The goal is to gain advantage over another player without reciprocation; opponents slow down or stop moving, allowing the lag switch user to easily outmaneuver them. From the opponent's perspective, the player using the device may appear to be teleporting, invisible or invincible, while the opponents suffer delayed animations and fast-forwarded game play, delivered in bursts.] Some gaming communities refer to this method as "tapping" which refers to the users "tapping" on and off their internet connection to create the lag.

The term "lag switch" encompasses many methods of disrupting the network communication between a client and its server. One method is by attaching a physical device, called a hardware lag switch, to a standard Ethernet cable. By flipping the switch on and off, the physical connection between the client and the server is disrupted. The designers of video game console hardware have started to introduce built-in protection against lag switches in the form of voltage detectors, which detect a change in voltage when the switch is flipped. Some manufacturers have taken counter measures to bypass or trick this detector. This can also be achieved by simply unplugging the Ethernet cord going to the client, causing a disruption in the player's internet connection. Other methods, called a software or wireless lag switch, involve using a computer program. In this method, the cheater runs an application on a computer connected to the same network as the client. The application hogs the network bandwidth, disrupting the communication between the client and its server. However, one cannot do this for an unlimited amount of time. At some point, if no traffic is being received, most game clients and/or game servers will decide that the connection has been lost and will remove the player from the game.

More advanced methods are firewall or router rules that apply bandwidth shaping and network latency, a cheat is able to adjust limits on both bandwidth and latency to stay relevant to a P2P network yet have considerable advantage over other players.

Message 1 of 6 (8,695 Views)

Re: Lag Switch Abusers

Hey there

It can be frustration to die to something that looks fishy.

If you think someone is cheating, like using a lag switch. You can report them here.

Please note not everything is as it seems, a player could have a bad connection or yha... things happend.

Reporting is never a bad thing to do, if the player isn't cheating his account will not be actioned.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 2 of 6 (8,675 Views)

★★★★ Guide

That's the thing about lag switching.. The goal is to simulate a laggy connection 

Message 3 of 6 (8,323 Views)

★★ Novice
@Jungle-Beard It's has gotten worse. I encounter lag switching every game. I can still kill them, but I also take cheat deaths from it too. I guess it's about time to hang up my champion gear and head for GOW5
Message 4 of 6 (8,135 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Jungle-Beard Just had this happen to me, too. What I at first THOUGHT to witness was lag on the user's end. Then I saw NO LAG at all whatsoever... He was using it to run around as a distraction so his team mate could kill me. His team mates were not using a lag switch, so (again in the same match I have downed both of them), while the "lag switcher" was up and about healing whatever chip damage I did to him. I could hear him healing to full health, and as I saw him move around during the fight I had with his team mates he was not lagging. However, whenever he interacted with me, whether being a distraction or a 1 v 1, he started to lag... like crazy teleport lag. AND accurately hitting with his peacekeeper, as Bangalore. Pretty sad. Also thank you for thoroughly explaining "Lag Switching".
Message 5 of 6 (6,980 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

There is no report function for PS4. The only report function is PSN, which you can only report messaging, and profile names. Nothing else.

Message 6 of 6 (6,959 Views)