July 2020 - last edited May by crinrict
Product: The Sims 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 18.104.22.1680
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Toddler Stuff and Kids Room Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Float on your back (Sleep, Sunbathe, or Back Float) in the ocean or a pool. Then try to use any action on a Fountain of Mirth that is placed on a buffet table (Banquetia Plateau or Fancy Feast Banquet Table).
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim walks toward fountain, but stops a few squares away. Sim waves hand indicating unable to complete. Thought bubble shows image of table the fountain is placed on (Banquetia Plateau or Fancy Feast Banquet Table). Action fails to complete.
What do you expect to see? Action completes.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure
I happened to notice this while playing a mermaid who was trying to live without any traditional housing, furniture, or appliances. This was the first time I tried to use the Fountain of Mirth as a mermaid's primary food source, so I am unsure if this would have occurred on prior versions. I tested extensively with a new mermaid sim and a new human sim using new saves with mods fully removed.
Results of my testing:
- Only affects Fountain of Mirth; food platters and cakes along outside of buffet tables and in center remain accessible
- Occurs with both Banquetia Plateau and Fancy Feast Banquet Table
- Does not occur when Fountain of Mirth is on a counter or island
- Occurs with all fountain-based drinks and foods
- Occurs with all fountain activity (Fill, Improve, Empty, Grab)
- Triggered by actions involving back floating animations in ocean or pool: Sleep, Sunbathe, & Back Float
- Not triggered by other ocean/pool activities: Gather Water, Swim Here, Swim Around, Swim Laps, Skinny Dip, Call Dolphin, & Call Azure Dolphin
- Occurs with humans who Back Float as well as mermaid actions; seems based animation rather than occult state
- Not triggered if action canceled before back floating animation starts
- Not triggered by Sleep using beds
- Fixed by traveling
- Fixed by save & reload game
- Not fixed by running Repair from Origin Launcher and then starting a new sim/save
- Not fixed with resetsim on sim
- Not fixed with Reset Object (Debug) on Fountain of Mirth
- Does not simply go away by doing other actions or waiting
Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title
I actually have this issue too but its so minor that every time it cropped up (in different saves over a span of several years) I just let it go and moved on, basically ignoring it. But after experiencing it in my game again today I was scratching my head and decided to look it up to see if anyone else perhaps experienced this issue too. I'm glad I stumbled on this really old post because at first I had no idea what even triggered it.
I'm referring specifically to my sim not being able to utilize the fountain of mirth on the banquet table from Luxury Party Stuff. I would direct her to fill the fountain with juice or chocolate or whatever and she wouldn't be able to do it as if there was a routing issue. I did have her backfloat in her pool earlier that sim-day and the realization dawned on me that that was probably what was causing it this entire time, and it floors me because I don't understand how a pool and ocean interaction could cause your sim to be unable to utilize the banquet table fountain; it doesn't make sense.
I took advice from the OP though and reloaded my save and sure enough it was fixed. I'm guessing that this is such a niche error that people don't really notice it or care when it happens like how it was for me the first few times. I don't play with the fountain of mirth often either, so that could also be it. This is a very odd bug, and yet another ridiculous bug added to the massive mound of them that this game has that EA has yet to address and sure as heck won't ever be fixing. I swear without mods this game would be an epic failure monetary-wise, because the EA team sure aren't pulling their weight at this point.
Either way, thanks OP for your results regarding the temporary fixes. Reloading a save or traveling is better than being stuck permanently with your sim unable to utilize a game object you paid for.