by AhnzoVincente

Original Post

Invisible Stair Railing/Fences Next to Platforms

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.156.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Journey to Batuu, Realm of Magic, Parenthood, Vampires, Spa Day, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, Kids Room, Free Holiday Stuff, Grim's Guitar
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Draw a room, Raise the room via platform arrows, add stairs to the outside of room leading to platform, add railing and/or fence.
What happens when the bug occurs? Stair railing or fence is invisible or does not appear.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the railing or fence apply to all areas of the fence, stair, edge of platform.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It has happened after the update that added the platforms. I have also deleted all mods and CC. I have repaired my game and tried building again in a new save file.

This seems to happen like 90% of the time. In an existing save file I tried this again with a new room and new stairs. Both of varying platform heights. And the railings and fences placed correctly. But I tried again in a different spot, with different heights, and then it didn't work correctly. This is happening even after repairing the game and deleting all cc and mods.

I am obsessed with platforms and am using them a lot. However I encounter this problem. Certain orientations of stairs next to platforms results in railings and/or fences to just disappear when placing them. I attached a few screenshots and links to gifs. If a stair is added to the platform, like I have in the screenshots, the flat landing of the stairs does not have a railing applied when I try to add one. If I try to manually place a fence, it applies to the other parts of that wall, but does not apply to the flat landings of stairs.

Edit: Additions:

I tried this again and seem to also see it happens if there is a platform also next to the stairs. Like say I add a platform as a "front porch" next to the outside stairs in my screenshot and that part of the railing disappears. But if I delete that "front porch" platform, the railing would appear.

It seems this would happen if there's a sort of mismatch in how long the stairs are between floors/platforms/etc. Because if I lower the upper platform enough, the stairs shorten, then the bottom of the stairs end up sitting flush against the edge of the lower platform (gif 3) and then the railing reappears.

GIF 1: https://i.imgur.com/i3Mj1Ld.gifv

GIF 2: https://i.imgur.com/mDpHGPk.gifv\

GIF 3: https://i.imgur.com/W1bZ0og.gifv

Message 1 of 7 (4,778 Views)

Re: Invisible Stair Railing/Fences Next to Platforms

★ Guide
@AhnzoVincente Is it similar to this thread https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Stairs-make-small-walls-around-platforms-be-see/m-... ?

If so please click a "Me too" in that thread and a moderator can merge this thread
Message 2 of 7 (4,748 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@IngeJones I read it through and saw a reply you made about sections of fences vanishing? Is what I posted here basically what you're experiencing?

Although what OP in that thread you linked mentioned, doesn't happen to me in that way, so idk if merging would help? Idk how admins determine what's similar enough to merge aha
Message 3 of 7 (4,743 Views)

★ Guide
@AhnzoVincente You've actually demonstrated a mixture of about three bugs that have been reported previously separately!! One of them looks like one I posted but was thought by the moderators to be working as designed https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/More-stairs-and-platforms-weirdness/m-p/975931...
Message 4 of 7 (4,737 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@IngeJones Oh dang! I'm excited for the platforms but the bugs have made it interesting to try to work around! I know sometimes even, if you place and raise a platform encased in a room. Then within the room make a new room (enclosed by walls basically) I've had stairs get deleted? Idk how or why to explain that one. I just gotta be careful with my wall placement and the order I place things.

Merging is fine really, I just hope devs are aware of some of these platform issues, but they're working hard already so I'm OK with waiting a bit for fixes.

I like playing with platforms now because I can create listening pits for my music and audiophile Sims 😅
Message 5 of 7 (4,695 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Something that sometimes works for me when stair railings or fences are playing up together is to delete the automatically created wall under the stairs.  Often when doing that the railings magically pop into existence again.  But this is a flakey workaround rather than a solution, since often you will really want to keep that stair wall.

Message 6 of 7 (4,662 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@IngeJones Thank you! This worked for me over 2 years later lol
Message 7 of 7 (3,326 Views)