by EA_HighCommand

Original Post

Inconsistent translation of ship and character names

★ Guide

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Android Phone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Samsung S7
OS Version na
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode )
What type of issue do you have? Translation Errors
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Summarize your bug A year or two ago an update was released, which translated english names into the used mobile language. E.g. for german: AAT became "GAP", Vaders TIE advanced became "Turbosternenjäger" (something I have never heard or read in my own language, despite my own 40+ books in the star wars universe), and so on. Personaly I think, these translations are not necessary and are not even used in our language, but okay. What I want to pinpoint is the usage of this tanslationstyle in swgoh: In the picture you can see as an example the 5 capital ships in the game. The new Negotioator was translated with "Unterhändler" (just heard Negotiator in the german clone wars series, but okay), Home 1 is the "Heimat 1". But Executrix is not translated (would be Ausführende) and Endurance neither (would be "Ausdauer", "Geduld" or something like that). Same for othe ships, like TIE-Reaper (would be something like "Mäher), Slave 1 ("Sklave 1"), Silencer ( e.g. "Dämpfer"), and many more. The same might be true for the character naming: Commander Luke Skywalker should be "Kommandeur Luke Skywalker", Count Dooku -> "Graf Dooku", Rebellenscout and so on.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? see the two example pictures, in which english and german names are completely mixed
Connection Type Mobile
Please select your region Europe
Country germany

examples

incionsistent.PNG
incionsistent2.PNG
Message 1 of 3 (232 Views)

Re: Inconsistent translation of ship and character names

EA Live QV Team

Hi @Xhedao and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We check with the team if this is intended.

Message 2 of 3 (220 Views)

Re: Inconsistent translation of ship and character names

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Thanks! 

For the characters it might be not that bad, as Colonel and Commander are ranks ant titles in the original country and of course they are not the same in another country. Even if there is a translation, in the translated version the meaning would be different of Count.

So they might be considered as personal names and usually they are not translated.

But this is also true for ship names and there even worse. Nobody would translate a person or ship with the name "Hope" in any language, even if it is possible ^^ We would call her still "Hope" and not "Hoffnung", even if the meaning is the same ^^

Or the other way around: The german female name "Heide" can be translated into "Pagan", the german male name "Kai" would be "Quay" and a few more example are there. I do not think, that in the USA you would translate our names, or? Standard smile We are still called as we were named, right? Wink

Just as an additional reasoning.

Message 3 of 3 (199 Views)