Incompatible with ultrawide (e.g. 21:9) monitors

by flatpackmeerkat

Original Post

Incompatible with ultrawide (e.g. 21:9) monitors

★★★ Newbie

Product: Command & Conquer Remastered
Platform:Steam-PC
Summarize your bug Incompatible with ultrawide (e.g. 21:9) monitors
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use any monitor with an ultrawide resolution (in my case 3440 x 1440).
What happens when the bug occurs? During actual gameplay, the screen will have black bars on either side of the screen because the map is limited to a 16:9 ratio. The sidebar (if displayed) will occupy the black bar on the right side of the screen but the left side is always black.
What do you expect to see? The map should fill the entire screen

There does not seem to be any support for ultrawide monitors, the map seems to be limited to 16:9 ratio and the sides are just padded with black bars. The situation is worse for people with really wide (e.g. 32:9) monitors.

Message 1 of 5 (3,338 Views)

Re: Incompatible with ultrawide (e.g. 21:9) monitors

★ Pro
@flatpackmeerkat
This is because not many people are using Monitors that are like that. Even films generally don't support that type of Ratio.
Message 2 of 5 (3,301 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have this issue too. I have an 21:9 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor.

Game settings do detect the resolution correctly and the correct aspect ratio is shown in menus. Actual in-game map however does not fill the entire screen and black bars are visible inboth sides.

The issue is not only with ultrawide monitors, but also with any monitor with aspect ratios other than 16:9. If say 16:10 or 4:3 screen is used, it has black bars on top and bottom. The in-game view seems to only support 16:9 aspect ratio.

As this should be a "remastered" game, I'd expect it to function with modern PC hardware. The game was after all advertised with high resolution graphics. Most other games released in recent years also do support ultrawide just fine (specially other RTS remasters like Age of Empires I&II Definitive Editions).

Based on recent hardware surveys not that many people have those 4K screens either (for which the game is advertised). Actually there are practically as many ultrawide users as there are 4K users, at least based on public Steam HW survey. When other non-16:9 resolutions are taken into count, there are acutally more users with incompatible aspect ratio screens than there are users with advertised 4K monitors.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Message 3 of 5 (3,236 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im pissed off becouse y play on a 4:3 monitor. and i also have black bars.

How they messed up the original aspect ratio?!

Message 4 of 5 (2,395 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same thing is happening for me. Its completely put me off playing the game. Back to Age of Empires then!

Message 5 of 5 (2,381 Views)