Original Post

Accepted Solution

[IL] Odd jobs menu is blank

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.57.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know
What happens when the bug occurs? Every time I open Odd jobs, the menu is blank.
What do you expect to see? The listed odd jobs.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It started after the snowy update. It worked before then.

I have removed mods, changed saves, and nothing works. The menu comes up blank.

Edit by Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 10 (3,297 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Odd jobs menu is blank

★ Guide

It is a bug in the game and I found the solution and apparent cause. It appears that if you play multiple families as I do and you switch to another family, the game is still stuck on the odd jobs that the previous family may have had or been doing. (Maybe there are also other reasons as to why it might get stuck.)

At any rate going with this train of thought I went into the family edit screen to see which family I had previously played that might have been doing odd jobs. I did not change anything or switch (I was going to check later), but after I left the edit screen and went back to the current family... 

The next morning the pop up asking me about gigs came up. It hadn't done that since the bug. I declined but later when I checked at the odd jobs time, all of the odd jobs came up as normal.

IE - The fix for anyone having this issues is to go to the family edit screen, and then exit. This gets rid of the "stuck family, blank screen, odd jobs bug.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (3,184 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I've had this issue before with events being blank but cant remember what mod was the culprit. Best thing to do is create a Mods folder outside your sims folder game like, in your personal music file or something, somewhere you will remember where. Move all your mods and CC's out of the sim folder into your newly created Mods folder in your music folder. Make sure "ALL" mods and CC's come out. I had a rogue tshirt CC file cause issues one time. Then start adding them back one by one.  Open the game after each add and see what one triggers your issue. Also, we have had a few big patches over the last few weeks. Might be good to make sure your mods are updated.

Last, Make sure you don't have any mods or CC's accidently placed in another file by accident. 

Past this, i'm going with a corrupt file and you might need to try a repair. 

Message 2 of 10 (3,280 Views)

Hero

HI @ImMendota 

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • ConfigOverride, if you have your own configuration files.
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 10 (3,261 Views)

★ Guide

Well, I can try these things, but I run a very clean system. I disabled my mods and tried a new save and the problem persisted. I guess the next step is to try repairing the game, or just live without odd jobs. Everything else runs fine. It just seems to be an odd bug, and I wondered if anyone else has had it.

Message 4 of 10 (3,250 Views)

Hero
@ImMendota Is it happening with all Sims and also in a new save ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 10 (3,243 Views)

★ Guide

Yes, all sims in all the houses I tried. I have 72 households, haven't tried them all. But the issue happens with a new save as well as without mods. I read another post where a user had the same issue and it fixed itself, so maybe I just have to wait. Everything else in my game is smooth as glass, and I have no issues.

Message 6 of 10 (3,223 Views)

Hero
@ImMendota Did you get a chance to try repairing yet ?

I tested in my save to be sure and had lots of odd jobs showing in mine.

Would you mind sending me one of your saves to see if I can duplicate it there ? Instructions in my signature.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 10 (3,204 Views)

★ Guide

Thank you for your assistance. I will try the repair option later. I had not done it yet due to multiple reports of it taking a long time, and I wanted to enjoy the game with the new packs. If that does not work out, I will send the save.

Message 8 of 10 (3,197 Views)

★ Guide

It is a bug in the game and I found the solution and apparent cause. It appears that if you play multiple families as I do and you switch to another family, the game is still stuck on the odd jobs that the previous family may have had or been doing. (Maybe there are also other reasons as to why it might get stuck.)

At any rate going with this train of thought I went into the family edit screen to see which family I had previously played that might have been doing odd jobs. I did not change anything or switch (I was going to check later), but after I left the edit screen and went back to the current family... 

The next morning the pop up asking me about gigs came up. It hadn't done that since the bug. I declined but later when I checked at the odd jobs time, all of the odd jobs came up as normal.

IE - The fix for anyone having this issues is to go to the family edit screen, and then exit. This gets rid of the "stuck family, blank screen, odd jobs bug.

Message 9 of 10 (3,185 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I know you wrote this almost 4 years ago but what’s the family edit screen? I’m having this problem myself and I’m not sure what you meant. Thanks Standard smile))

Message 10 of 10 (633 Views)