by Bearpal64

Original Post

Household Sims won't autonomously Repair Objects

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and Dogs, Vampires, Eco Lifestyle, Dine Out, Holiday
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have multiple Sims in a household and wait for something to break. Have the Autonomy on Full for nonplayed Sims.
What happens when the bug occurs? The object will break, and Sims that aren't being played will refuse to fix it (some mop up the mess it creates instead of fixing the thing). They'll try to use it and whine that it's broken.
What do you expect to see? Even if I'm not currently playing a Sim, they should eventually repair the object instead of just ignoring it.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The Paranormal Stuff pack came out.

I was playing the Asylum Challenge for the first time, so all the Sims were Erratic.  I'm able to force the played Sim to repair the object, but stuff is breaking faster than it's being repaired.  

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted title

Message 1 of 13 (2,572 Views)

Re: Sims Won't Repair Objects

Hero
@whitejade1979 Are those broken objects objects that shouldn't break cause they are upgrade to unbreakable or come unbreakable or just any object ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (2,543 Views)

★ Apprentice

They're any object. Specifically, objects in the kitchen or plumbing category break far more often, despite being used as much as the electronics.  Not sure if it's related, but Sims keep cooking without eating the food they already made (probably not, but maybe?).

Message 3 of 13 (2,524 Views)

Hero
@whitejade1979 With not played Sims do you mean other Sims in your household or NPCs ? You can fix stuff if you direct them too ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (2,509 Views)

★ Apprentice

So far (since I don't like townies), I've only tested with other Sims in my household.  To get Sims to fix things, I physically have to click on their tab, click on the object, and say "Repair" before returning back to my Sim.  Since I'm playing the Asylum challenge, only one of my Sims has ever fixed anything.

Message 5 of 13 (2,491 Views)

Hero
@whitejade1979 Do any of them already have the handiness skill ?

Haven't played a multiple Sim household since the patch so can't say if it's happening for me.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 13 (2,482 Views)

★ Apprentice

As far as I'm aware, none of them have the Handiness skill except my played character.  That could be it- none of the other characters will use the Woodworking Table either.

Message 7 of 13 (2,466 Views)

Re: Household Sims won't autonomously Repair Objects

★ Pro

@whitejade1979  My guess on the repair issue is that it is probably by design, although I don't know for sure since I don't code. In normal gameplay with a household of 8, the simmer would probably want to direct who is to make a repair. Leastwise, I think that would be the norm so the player could have whichever sim they want to build handiness skill to have that opportunity. LOL, to say that actually directing only one sim in a household of 8 while the other 7 run amuck, like in the Asylum Challenge, probably isn't the typical way a household of 8 would be handled by the average simmer. Standard smile

For the food issue, there is a bug report for that here:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sims-cook-but-don-t-autonomously-eat-cook-more-eat-quick/...

I think the reason you aren't seeing the other sims auto use the woodworking bench is because sim's obsession with that object was fixed in a March 2017 patch. Perhaps they tuned down the appeal of the table too much but the auto use was so bad at the time I remember having to put the woodworking bench in the household inventory after having a sim use it to keep usage manageable. If you want to read through that old thread to see what simmers were encountering it is located here:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-Sims-Obsessed-with-Workbench/m-p/5675325#M29453

Good luck in the challenge! It looks like it could be full of chaotic situations but also a lot of fun.

Message 8 of 13 (2,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@dolldrms1 Mine have been doing it in the past with no issues.

@whitejade1979 Try if they start if you give them at least handiness level 1

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 13 (2,427 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@crinrict If you have Get Together and set it as a club approved activity (repair) they definitely will do it when things around the lot break.
Message 10 of 13 (2,418 Views)