Re: HDR too dark in NHL 22

by crisb2411

Original Post

HDR too dark in NHL 22

★★★ Apprentice

Product: NHL 22
Platform:Xbox Series X
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Enable HDR
What happens when the bug occurs? All colors are too dark. The ice is grey instead of white. Jerseys look dull.
What do you expect to see? Brightness adjustment setting in the game.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here All modes including menus
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
What is your time zone?
What is your gamertag/PSN ID?
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

The HDR in NHL 22 makes the game look dull and lacks brightness. I used auto hdr for NHL 21 on Series X and everything was very vibrant and bright. The ice was white in 21, but the hdr in 22 makes the ice look grey. I'd like there to be a hdr brightness setting included in the game menus since this is the only game I own where the colors with hdr look dull and there's currently no way to adjust them. 

Message 1 of 163 (17,337 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi i get the Same problem on NHL 22 PS5 Edition. 
The ice look super dark on hdr and when you turn it off everything is bright Like normal. 
Please fix that 

Message 2 of 163 (17,291 Views)

Community Manager

@SourishOlive3 @OutlawedTorn 

Check the following thread for info and steps that may help here, thanks.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-News/Ice-too-dark/m-p/10843119

barry.png
Message 3 of 163 (17,266 Views)

★ Apprentice

So many have the problem. EA when do you want to see it?

Message 4 of 163 (17,261 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It's definitely not my tv.  I changed all brightness and color settings on my TV and the ice is still grey and recalibrated HDR on the Xbox menu. On NHL 21 with Xbox's Auto HDR the ice was white , but now in NHL 22 it's grey with the ingame HDR enabled with the same TV settings. I turned the HDR off in my system settings and the ice was bright white in NHL 22. I shouldn't need to turn off HDR only for this game. The game really needs a HDR nit adjustment setting in the game.

Message 5 of 163 (17,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Had the same issue with NHL 21...and NHL 20 and this was without HDR mode.

It's a bug in the game and needs to be fixed. 

Yes, I have an OLED, but the problem ONLY happens when you enter the neutral zone or are in the defensive zone. When you are at the top of the screen in the offensive zone, the game looks beautiful and there is no dimming at all.

And for whatever reason, the problem is magically fixed months after the game releases, but then starts up again when the next NHL game in the series releases.

Message 6 of 163 (17,178 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, NHL Community.

We'll need to gather some details for the team. If you can reply back with the information we're requesting it would help us out tremendously. 

• Gamertag/PSN ID
  • Platform you play the game on (Xbox One X, S, XB1, PS4, PS5)
  • What type of TV or monitor do you have
  • Where do you experience the dimming in game

Thank you for raising this to our attention. 

Blueberry.png
Message 7 of 163 (17,157 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@EA_Blueberry

PSN ID: Marvelicious845

System: PS5(also happenes on Xbox Series X)

TV: OLED CX and OLED E8 HDR Game Mode
The game dims when you enter the neutral zone and in the defensive zone when playing games in the NHL arenas, but when in the offensive zone, the game brightens up and stays bright. *This appears to not be an ABL issue*
Message 8 of 163 (17,127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

2020 Samsung Q90T QLED TV.

Gamertag - Outlawed Torn

Xbox Series X

I experience the dimming everywhere in the game. (Gameplay/Menus)

It is most noticeable on the ice where is it a greyish color inside of white as it is when HDR is off.

Also very noticeable on the player transition screens during gameplay where the colors look very dull.

I tried the Xbox HDR Calibration in the system settings multiple times, but it does nothing to help with the brightness in NHL 22. 

I messed with every TV setting (Brightness, Color, Contrast, HGIG Tone Mapping, Auto Black Levels, Eco Settings, etc) and nothing makes the ice look less grey with HDR enabled.  

I think the game really needs a HDR Brightness and Nit Peak adjustment settings in the game menus.

NHL 22 is the only game I own where there the HDR makes the game look less bright and vibrant and is lacking the HDR Brightness/Nit Peak adjustment settings in the game menus that most other HDR enabled games have.

Message 9 of 163 (17,126 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

PSN ID: iamCris2411

System: PS5

TV: LG OLED55C17LB

Same like @casdevils2k ! It's happens when you enter the neutral zone or are in the defensive zone. In the offensive zone everything is okay.

Message 10 of 163 (17,031 Views)