by alexsoave

Original Post

Gate won't add to fence

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? eco lifestyle, discover university, island living, get famous, seasons, cats and dogs, get together, journey to batuu, strangerville, parenthood, vampires, dine out, outdoor retreat, tiny living, my first pet, laundry day, toddler, vintage glamour, backyard and perfect patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When I go to add a gate to a fence the gate hovers over the fence and when I click it says "must be against a fence" (I have tried several gates with several fences at different heights).
What happens when the bug occurs? I get annoyed?
What do you expect to see? The gate to go onto the fence like a door does to a wall.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Had the issue for about a month, thought I'd give it time to see if it fixed itself but I still can't add gates to fences, tried looking at the forums but only issues from 2015 and 2018 showed.

Message 1 of 12 (15,611 Views)

Re: Gate won't add to fence

@alexsoave

Have you previously built a platform on the lot and then deleted it?

In your screenshot the gate isn't over the fence. Can you create a new section of fence in the middle of a new, empty lot and see if you can place a gate?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 12 (15,555 Views)

★ Novice

Hello,

Yes I had a platform and then deleted it.

In the screenshot I've got my mouse over the fence but the gate hovered over the top of it.

On a new empty lot I placed a fence and the gate added to it correctly. Is there any reason a deleted platform affected it?

Message 3 of 12 (15,531 Views)

@alexsoave

Yes, there is a bug with platforms where even if you remove one the game can still think it is in place https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Platforms-after-deletion-restrict-object-placement... sometimes going to the map screen or exiting the game can help (I think). You may need to bulldoze the lot and terrain to fix it.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 12 (15,512 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? eco lifestyle, discover university, island living, get famous, seasons, cats and dogs, strangerville, parenthood, vampires, dine out, outdoor retreat, tiny living, my first pet, laundry day, vintage glamour, backyard and perfect patio, city living, get to work, get together, snowy escape, jungle adventure, realm of magic, spa day, Moschino, Movie Hangout, Nifty Knitting
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When I go to add a gate to a fence the gate hovers over the fence and when I click it says "must be against a fence" (I have tried several gates with several fences at different heights).
What happens when the bug occurs? Gate cannot be placed and doesn't display fence as it's being placed, distorting the fence. If placed in debug/cheat mode, it does place, but doesn't show.
What do you expect to see? The gate should go onto the fence like a door does to a wall.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I build a brand new lot from scratch. I don't have any mods and most of the packs. No platforms have been placed. I've tried removing the wall, removing the room, re-adding the room, (both with and without walls), the wall itself and the fence. I've tried base game fences with gates as well as packs, though the one I'm hoping to place is from Get Famous. 

When I've tried to place the gate, it "interlaces" with fence and doesn't place with the error: "Must be against a fence". I've also tried placing this in cheat mode and it will be placed, but it doesn't show. I've replaced the fence with a wall and have been able to place a door.

I would demolish the lot, except that I haven't been able to get my library uploads working either. I've tried leaving the lot and going back into it, and even exiting the game and returning. Nada.

Message 5 of 12 (15,485 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You just have to delete a part of the fence, add the gate then add that part you deleted back. Hope that makes sense, it worked for me

Message 6 of 12 (15,378 Views)

★★ Pro
@marisatolmich That's how I've been doing it with MOO. Of course, if you line the gate up just right, it'll work fine without have to replace the fence, too.
Message 7 of 12 (14,970 Views)

★★★ Newbie

With mine, I have a platform raised, stairs attached with a fence. The gate locks into the fence like normal, but is red and says "must be placed on fence", which it is. If it is on a flat ground with no platform, it places on the fence just fine. 

I have tried deleting part of the gate, getting rid of the stairs and trying to place the gate, and it doesnt work. I even tried to make the platform flat again and place the gate and that didn't work either. 

I bulldozed the lot, and built a wall in a square to create a room raised it, deleted the walls to avoid using the actual platform model and put fence abd tried to add gate, still no success. 

Message 8 of 12 (12,770 Views)

Gate issue

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Sp01.227
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Island living, vampires, spa day, paranormal, laundry day, vintage glamour, movie hangout, spooky, cool kitchen, perfect patio, luxury party
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Place platform. 2. Place fence on platform. 3. Try to place gate on fence.
What happens when the bug occurs? Gate turns red and error says "must be placed on fence", when the gate IS in fact, placed on the fence
What do you expect to see? The gate turn green and place on the fence.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

It seems to only happen with any type of platform. Ive tried creating a room with 4 walls, raising it and then deleting the walls to avoid using the actual platform tool, no success. 

I tried to flatten the platform, add fence and gate, still didnt work. 

The screenshots are of the platformed fence/gate issue and a normal fence and gate without a platform. 

Message 9 of 12 (12,752 Views)

Re: Gate issue

★★ Apprentice

having same issue, though i managed to workaround it, hope this will help u.

i downloaded a day care lot, trying to place fence gate, but keep getting "must place on fence" error even it is there.

i dislike foundation, so i always drag the foundation level to ground level height.

i undo this, place the fence gate (over original work/content), it worked.

then i try to lower the foundation level, but the gate hinting will be gone.

so i try another approach, lower platform (like 2 levels), then i lower the foundation level by 2, the gate will remain.

i repeat this until the foundation is at ground level height, the gate still intact. then raise back the platform level as at the foundation/ground level.

gate is intact

Message 10 of 12 (12,464 Views)