by Blood0rchid

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Garbage Cans (outdoor) not working

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.28
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Pet Stuff, Cats and Dogs and Camping
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just try to interact with the outdoor garbage cans.
What happens when the bug occurs? The first error is that the outdoor garbage cans cannot be interacted with. If I have one on my property, my sim will eventually get the Negative Moodlet because of bad surroundings and I cannot get rid of it. The only way to fix this is to sell the garbage and buy another. The second error is anytime I do throw away something in the outdoor can (usually from outside repairs to sprinklers etc) right after my Sim dumps the trash - they get a the action in Queue to empty the INDOOR trash can! Even if it is empty!
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to empty the outdoor trash can, so it isn't providing negative moodlets...
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

The Garbage cans outside on my camping Lot CAN be rummaged in and interacted with... but at home it is a No Go.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 22 (15,462 Views)

Re: Garbage Cans (outdoor) not working

Hero
@Blood0rchid Do they show as full as in this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-External-Garbage-Cans-filling-up-without-needed-lot-Trait... ?

The other sounds like this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Sims-obsessively-take-out-trash/td-p/6683692/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 22 (15,440 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@crinrict  Neither of those issues.

The actual outdoor container looks empty with the lid closed and no garbage around.  Hovering over it shows no choosable options either...I cannot do anything with it. 

I have to sell it, and buy a new one (which ends up having the same problem eventually)  I have tried all the outdoor bins, none work properly.

for the second issue, as an example, I was upgrading the sprinkler on Sunday and had my sim throw away the garbage pile from it after rummaging for parts.

She threw the pile in the outdoor bin, and right after added an action to empty trash (before the other Queued actions I gave her) inside.

I had to manually cancel that action to get her to do what I planned for her.

It happened again when I asked her to dispose of a dead plant... she threw it out then added an action to empty the indoor trash again...

This only happens when she empties something to the OUTDOOR bin...

Message 3 of 22 (15,382 Views)

Hero
@Blood0rchid So more like this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Trash-Cans-Stop-Working-on-Some-Lots/m-p/9305638 ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 22 (15,367 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@crinrict No... my indoor trash cans work. My outdoor trashcan works as in my sims can put stuff into it.
My outdoor trashcans do NOT work as in I cannot select any actions with them.
And when my sim uses the outdoor trashcan, it will ALWAYS queue up the action to empty my INDOOR trashcan....
Message 5 of 22 (15,331 Views)

Hero
@Blood0rchid Well, at the end of the day it's probably all the same issue with missing Eco/Lot trait

Not going to add this as separate thread for now. If the bug other bug gets fixed, please let me know if you still see this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 22 (15,326 Views)

★ Novice

Hello. Was this bug fixed? Because I'm having a similar trouble right now: June 27, 2021.

I'm playing on my Windows PC. I have all the expansion packs (only bought Eco Lifestyle, Snowy Escape and the game pack Realms of Magic at June 22 or 23), almost all game packs (except Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Star Wars and Home Decorator) and also the majority of the stuff packs (except Backyard, Bowling, Laundry, Moschino, Knitting and Paranormal).

For some reason, 90% of my households can't interact with the outside trash bin. When I hover the mouse over it, it's greyed out and I can't select the item. I can still shift click to debug and pick it up or delete/sell on buy mode, but I can't make my sims interact with them. If I remember correctly, I've been playing this since 2018 or 2019 and this bug only ocurred now (I was on a gaming hiatus from 2019 to 2021). I've been playing for more than a week, and I believe this bug only appeared after I bought Eco Lifestyle (plus Snowy Escape and Realms of Magic).

The Sims still can throw the trash outside automously, but once they do, they will get a prompt to empty the indoor trash can (even when it's already empty...). Once, after playing after a few hours this saturday (June 26), the outside trash bin wasn't aknowledged by the game at all and my sims couldn't throw away the trash and clean the house anymore. It wasn't overflowing and even deleting the old one and buying a new one didn't work. At that time I thought it was a mod conflict (it coincided with the moment my Sim received a cleaning push from a mod). That's when I realized I couldn't interact with the bin even after making a backup folder and restarting anew without any mods at all. I remember that a week ago I could still kick the trash cans, put it back in place, etc... And now I can't even click on them during gameplay (I can only select them during construction mode).

I've already followed all the steps to try and fix my game: make a backup folder, empty the EA folder, reinstall Origin, repair the game, I even uninstaled the whole Sims 4 game and spent hours to download everything again (minus Eco Lifestyle, just to test if it made a difference). Nothing worked. Sometimes a household will be able to interact with the outside trash bin: once when I started a new game with a random pre-made Sim, another when I loaded a veeery old game. I don't know why it worked once in a blue moon, but when I tried to put back all my saved lots and households, the bug appeared again. Since I was too busy trying to get my sims to interact with the garbage cans again, I haven't played for consecutive hours, so I don't know if the 2nd problem of the trash can being completely ignored by the game will happen again or it was some mod issues.

Message 7 of 22 (13,782 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Blood0rchid I’m now having the same issue where my sims are acting like there’s no trash can available when they would previously use the outdoors one.
Message 8 of 22 (13,695 Views)

★★ Apprentice

July 2nd, 2021 here. I have been also experiencing this issue on my PC game recently (64bit not legacy ed.), maybe for about a week? (No mods). Randomly, the outside trash can just stops working. I'll go to have my sim empty the indoor trash and it says there needs to be an outside bin. There is one. But I can't interact. Debug reset usually fixes it, picking it up and placing it again, deleting and replacing it. But it happens continuously as I'm playing, not just like when loading into a game or coming back from a lot (which would make more sense, like a genuine cause and effect): I'm talking 3 times within 40 minutes (real time) of playing strictly live mode in the house. Whether I just opened my game, or whether I've been in-game for hours. Happened a few times with the indoor ones as well (namely the barrel style trash, which is the only one I use and can report on) but not as frequently. Go to clean a toddler's potty and it says there's no available trash can. Upon inspection, the can is not full and cannot be interacted with. Same fix as outdoor can, but I don't want to keep interrupting my play to debug all my bins. Maybe related: also experiencing this issue with wash machines and dryers. Necessary items such as these appear to keep going bunk with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Hoping the team can find the cause of this bug. I can list my packs and such if necessary, I'm happy to help define this issue. Potentially relevant: I place most items when building with alt-place rather than snap, but still follow the natural alignment of the grid (where the item would snap to, I alt-place it in the same spot). Not sure if that has anything to do with it (probably not)? Cheers~

Message 9 of 22 (13,676 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Could anyone experiencing this issue possibly share a save file where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much!

Instructions for sharing your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 10 of 22 (12,701 Views)