Game freezes but game doesn't crash

★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RTX 3060
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? The_Asian_Glow
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Origin's overlay(freezes with this overlay, EA overlay(also freezes)
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Any Legend
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Any legend
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In Game, Main Menu, Character Select Screen
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Just regularly playing the game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Only started happening in season 13 + 14
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 8/26/2022
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? My screen freezes, but not the game. I can still do inputs and I will hear audio feedback (ex: screen is frozen but i can still voice chat to my teammates that I need to restart the game, I can hear gunfire, walking, my teammates talking, I can hit ESC to hear the UI but can't see it, I can select Legends while the screen is frozen). The game doesn't crash, but the display freezes. This happens in character select, the lobby, and in game. the only fix that works at the moment is restarting the game and rejoining. I tried repairing and reinstalling the game.
What should be happening instead? The game shouldn't be freezing.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know. It just happens randomly after having the game launched for about an hour or two.

Game doesn't crash, but it freezes if that makes sense.  Display is frozen, but game still plays with audio and everything.  I can move, shoot, select options, and voice chat.

Message 1 of 5 (501 Views)

Re: Game freezes but game doesn't crash

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@The_Asian_Glow 

Seems like a power handling issue.

If your have overclocking set, just set it to normal.

In your NVIDIA Control Panel:

1.png

set it to "Prefer maximum performance". If on a laptop, set it to "Optimal power".

Then restart your computer.

Message 2 of 5 (469 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Wolferato 
I appreciate the response.  I checked my 3D settings and unfortunately, I already have it on max performance.

Message 3 of 5 (445 Views)

★★★ Guide

@The_Asian_Glow  Maybe this:

1. Open %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local\videoconfig.txt.

2.Try running with these 2 specific settings in

"setting.nowindowborder" "1"
"setting.fullscreen" "0"

or the other way around

"setting.nowindowborder" "0"
"setting.fullscreen" "1"

Lastly, you could delete this file and run with default settings. If this solves the problem, you can then adjust the setings in-game step by step, back to your prefered settings. This way if the issue pops up, you would discover which setting is the culprit.

Message 4 of 5 (435 Views)

★ Novice

@Wolferato After testing my game on fullscreen, the game still freezes.  I did discover though but switching from windowed to fullscreen over and over again, it plays 1 frame of the display(spamming ALT + Enter).  

Message 5 of 5 (338 Views)