Re: Game crashing to desktop when launching story mode

by YankeeOneSeven

Original Post

★★ Novice

For me, Mission 2 crashes at the end, right after the main objective is complete and we're approaching the star destroyer. Silent crash to desktop, no error. I'm playing in VR. This still happens after the 1.1 patch.

Message 31 of 44 (674 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue. At the end of mission 2 I crash to desktop. I'm playing via Steam VR. 

Message 32 of 44 (655 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Watzadonasaur Have you had any success? I cnat even get the game to run and I have the same GTIX 1080
Message 33 of 44 (630 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Watzadonasaur Same here, did you find a solution?
Message 34 of 44 (614 Views)

★ Guide

Another guy with the same problem.

This sounds familiar. I can t play the game even with tips like lower rez to 1920x1080 and lower volumetric detail to low. Waiting to be fixed......

Message 35 of 44 (598 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I've a similar bug. Mission 2 loads up fine, plays through fine but just as the newly captured star destroyer turns on the imperials ships which jump in...game crashes to desktop. Tried in 5+ times now, crashes each time.

Message 36 of 44 (586 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Exact same problem as most people here are reporting. Crashes to steam home (from VR) as soon as the newly captured star destroyer destroys the 3 ships.

Message 37 of 44 (584 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I had the same problem, crash to desktop just after starting the mission.

However, I was able to fix the problem and get past the crash.

I have an Intel 9900k with 32GB and an RTX 2080Ti FE and a 5120x1440 ultra widescreen monitor. I have all the graphics settings maxed out, and I've been playing on a borderless window with HDR enabled. This hasn't been a problem on any of the other missions or game modes until the Yavin mission.

Here is what worked for me: I switched to Full Screen mode and lowered my resolution. I found that when I reduced by resolution to 2560x1440 (keeping all other settings at max), I was able to load and play the Yavin mission. Just as an experiment, I changed back to 5120x1440 in the middle of the mission (in case the bug was only related to the start of the mission) and the moment I changed, instant crash to desktop.

After the Yavin mission, I switched my resolution back to what it was (5120x1440 borderless window) and everything is great again.

My guess is that there's a bug in the Yavin mission that causes the game to attempt to use much more RAM than it needs (my video card has 11GB of RAM, enough to play just about every game made today at Ultra) and that's causing the crash.

So, you might be able to make it through the mission by lowering your resolution or graphics settings (texture resolution? SSAO? Shadows? Not sure..) and playing through.

The good news is that it only seems to be this mission with the problem, so you can restore your settings after you get past it (or after EA fixes the bug...)

Good luck!

Message 38 of 44 (539 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Mine crashes every time after the yavin mission 

Message 39 of 44 (480 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I can't even get to Mission 2.  I crash in the tutorial.  I finally managed to get past the fleet flyby by turning volumetric settings to low, but it hard crashes with no error message after only a few minutes; changing volumetric simply delays the inevitable.  In practice mode it crashes after my first kill.  Sometimes it crashes to desktop, sometimes it crashes the whole computer, and I can't tell what triggers the difference. The last full computer crash it did set my resolution down to 1280x720 and produced graphical glitches when I set it back to 1920x1080; I had to restart the computer again to fix it. 

Processor: Ryzen 3600
GPU: RTX 2080
RAM: 16GB DDR4

Edit:  I would attach the crash dump files that I just discovered the game has been putting in my documents folder, but apparently the files are not a supported type for attachment.  Which makes no sense, but whatever.  Hope this gets patched. 

Message 40 of 44 (439 Views)