Game crashes when I try to adjust certain relationship in CAS

by Deylt

Original Post

Game crashes when I try to adjust certain relationship in CAS

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi Wink

I updated my game to the latest version. The one fixing the issue with relationships (the 9/9/14 one). However, some of my relationships were still messed up. I tried a bunch of things to fix it and I think it is probably best that I give a detailed version of what I did to get to the point where my game is crashing. I experimented quite a lot.

First, there's currently 7 Sims in my household and there's a total of 4 that have errors in their relationships. The two parents are considered brother and sister of their two children. The two parents are original Sims created by EA. There might be an issue also with the children being half-brother and sister.

When using cas.fulleditmode, some relationships were greyed out and were just uneditable stating that I can't edit preexisting Sims. There were also some relationships status that were unavaible. So, by exemple, while I was able to edit the relationships of the father to his son, there were no option to set it to father. It was either roommate or brother.

After that, I uploaded the two children to the gallery into a separate household and redownloaded them to remerge it with my current household (without the children). Doing so would make the option to set it to father available, but clicking on this option would do nothing.

The last thing I tried and this is when my game crashed three times in a row was to upload in the gallery the four Sims separatly and redownload them in my household. Doing so, there is two things that made my game crashed. First one was selecting the Father relationships from the child relationships menu. This made my game crashed instantly. I then tried to go the other way around. First, I selected the daugther (I went with the Mother then...) from the Mother relationships menu. This didn't make my game crashed. The game crashed when I clicked on the Edit Relationship menu of the child that I picked the Mother.

Apparently the game has trouble to accept something as half-brother or half-sister. It seems to consider that if two members of the household had a child together, then they had all of them together. Trying to adjust one of them seems to automatically adjust all of the other relationships with this in mind. This might be what makes the game crashes somehow. However, the crash seems to only really happen when I adjust the original Sims created by EA. 

I hope this will help Standard smile

Message 1 of 8 (674 Views)

Re: Game crashes when I try to adjust certain relationship in CAS

Hero

It is possible that this has to do with trying to fix a bugged game.

Can you try a new game for testing purposes and check if the same actions also crash your game ?

@Deylt 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (670 Views)

★ Novice

Hi and thank you for your response! Standard smile

Thanks for the answer. You are right. I could not get my game to crash with a new game, but that's mainly because the actions that would get my game to crash do not do anything. Even if I was using the same household downloaded from the gallery. However, I still can't get my relationships right, because the game won't allow me to set half-brother or half-sister. I recreated a similar relationships pattern in another game and the game generates the relationships right (being the half-brother are considered brother and sister), but there is no ways I can get to the same pattern in CAS.

Message 3 of 8 (666 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

So basically moving forward if you recreate the same issue, you cannot reproduce the bug, but you're unable to fix your pre-existing household, and when you try to upload those bugged Sims to the gallery, your game crashes.

Is that correct?

If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 4 of 8 (664 Views)

★ Novice

Not exactly. Sorry, English is not my first language.

1. If I recreate the same issue in a new game file I cannot reproduce the bug, but I can recreate the bug anytime in my actual game file.

2. I am, indeed unable to fix my pre-existing household. There is some relationships that are simply uneditable regardless of what I do. Selecting the proper relationships either does nothing, either it edits some other relationships wrong. This last part clearly has to do with the fact that, in CAS, setting a child to two parents will lead the game concluding that his siblings have the two same parents. So, it's impossible to set half-brother or half-sister in CAS.

3. My game crashes when I try to fix this pre-existing household doing some manipulations throught the gallery to have access to the Edit Relationships options in CAS. By dowloading the Sims from the gallery, there's the option to edit the relationship. That's what I was trying to take advantage of to fix them.. These manipulations go like this:

1. Load my actual gamefile and select my household from the edit household menu within the manage world options.
  2. Break my household apart and upload Sims with bugged relationships all in different household (So one household for each Sims that have a bugged relationships. That's important to actually make the game crash).
  3. Reload my game with the full household and go back in edit household.
  4. Remove the broken Sims
  5. Download the Sims uploaded in step 2
  6. Try to edit the relationship of these Sims to what it should be. This is when the game crashes. There is certain relationships that I can edit and that do not cause the game to crash. The one that cause crashing is when I try edit the relationship of the children to their parents. From the Father, I can set the child to be his son, but from the child I can't set the father as his father. It makes the game crash.

Hope that's clearer Standard smile

Message 5 of 8 (661 Views)

Hero

Did you try if it works with the relationship cheats: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/children-are-their-parents-sibling/ ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 8 (652 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for your help, but sadly it's not working. It does nothing with the bugged relationships, while it works with the non-bugged one..

Message 7 of 8 (646 Views)

Hero

Have no other idea sadly.

Maybe cut your losses and start a new game ? Or check the backups if one is working.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 8 (638 Views)