by Gold_ViperIII

Original Post

Game chat not turning on

★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Gold_ViperIII
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Wraith
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Bloodhound and octane
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Main menu
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. I turned on Game chat on the PS4 party settings but did not turn on in game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? None, it happened as soon as I logged in
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 17 October 2019
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
How severe is your issue? Minor impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The game chat in game does not turn on
What should be happening instead? The game chat should be turning on so I can speak with my teammates
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Join a PS4 party 2. Login to Apex Legends 3. Turn on Game Chat in PS4 party settings 4. Apex game chat not turning on

I wanted to switch to game chat to speak with a teammate so I turned on Game Chat on the PS4 party settings but game chat on apex didn’t seem to turn on with it. I tried to look for settings to turn on game chat manually but couldn’t find any way to do so. 

Message 1 of 3 (212 Views)

Re: Game chat not turning on

★★★★★ Novice

The in-game chat system is a whole host of mess and should be relatively easy to fix, the main issue with the chat is that the game has too many "new" chat windows.

There is Group chat (pre-made team before ready)
There is Squad chat (Selecting Legends)

There is In-game chat (playing a round on the map)

They are NOT linked. Each one presenting a new clear chat box with no history of what happened in the previous. Now, regarding your bug.

It is caused by having any of the 3 chat windows open when the game switches you to the next. The next one won't work.

Simple fix, don't use in game chat windows.
However inconvenient it may be.

Alternatives - Origin Chat - Steam Chat - Discord - Teamspeak - Most alternatives require you to be playing with people you know.

Message 2 of 3 (163 Views)

Re: Game chat not turning on

★ Novice
@Pojop1 Thank you, I realized this as I was able to speak with my teammates once I actually joined a match.
Message 3 of 3 (149 Views)