Game Freeze During Character Selection

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GeForce GTX 960
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Draknost
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. Anyone. Doesn't matter.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? N/A
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? N/A
Where did the issue occur? Loading into the match from the lobby
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Character Select
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Letting my mouse run over every character as fast as possible.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? N/A - Had it happen on my first attempt to play for the day before.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 04.01.20 12:35 CST
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The game locks up during character select, the music keeps playing but the yellow bar indicating time left to pick a legend stops moving and no amount of waiting will fix it. You have to alt-tab out and use task manager to kill the game.
What should be happening instead? It should just show all the legends your mouse moves over
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Load into a game and just run your mouse in circles as fast as possible over the characters to pick from.

It doesn't have to be YOU that does this in order to make your game crash.  If I wanted to grief as many Apex legends players as possible, I'd just load into matches and start running my mouse in very fast movements over all the characters.  I'd noticed that when someone moved over a few characters rapidly in the past that my game would often freeze after, so I tested it this morning and started doing that myself, sure enough the game locked up. I've seen other people report this lock up, I believe it has something to do with how the server has to figure out what skins the player has equipped on all the characters, and then communicate this information to the rest of the squad.  Perhaps a solution would be to disallow showing of equipped skins during character selection?  Just show the defaults for all characters so that it is a uniform/known variable and not new information that needs communicated from one client to the server and then out to the other clients.  I believe the rapid changes in characters/skins and the subsequent communication between server and squad is at fault here.

Message 1 of 2 (175 Views)

Re: Game Freeze During Character Selection

Community Manager
Hi @Draknost,

Thanks for the report on this.That's actually an issue that the Apex Legends team is aware of and working on getting fixed.

In the meantime the Alt-Tab workaround that you mentioned usually helps get around the freezing and crashing after Legend select.

/Kent
Kent.png
Message 2 of 2 (119 Views)