Game Displays Beyond Screen Safe Area (Apex Legends)

by PathofSam

Original Post

Game Displays Beyond Screen Safe Area (Apex Legends)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Slim
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? PathofSam
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In all matches and menus
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. N/A
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Every match
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Minor impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Elements both during matches and in main menus/lobby that are near the edge of the screen get cut off, preventing me from being able to see the full element.
What should be happening instead? The game should limit the elements it displays to within the specified safe area
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use the TV and input method I describe below

Hardware

TV: VIZIO VW32L HDTV20A

Input: HDMI

Console: PS4 Slim

Issue

The game displays elements that are beyond the specified safe area of my screen. Unlike other games, Apex Legends does not seem to have a way to specify the safe area of your screen. This causes the game to display elements that are partially or fully beyond your screen's size, preventing the player from being able to see things towards the edges of the screen. Even if the safe area is specified within the console's (PS4) settings menu, the game still does not change the safe area accordingly.

Recommended Solution

Either add an option to the game's video settings to specify a screen safe area OR somehow allow the game to adjust to the safe area that is specified in the console's settings menu.

Extra

Browsing through the r/ApexLegends subreddit and even here on the forums, you will find other players experiencing the same problem. It is very frustrating but is not getting enough attention.

Message 1 of 17 (37,898 Views)

Re: Game Displays Beyond Screen Safe Area (Apex Legends)

★ Novice

I am also having this issue for the Xbox One version of the game. Cuts off the names of weapons and some menu options. I really hope this gets addressed soon

Message 2 of 17 (37,404 Views)

EA Live QV Team

Is this still occurring? Can we get screenshots of what the issue looks like?

Message 3 of 17 (36,999 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Yup, there are 2 great screenshots in this post about the same issue. It's most obvious in the Kings Canyon loading screen where the 'N' is cut off.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-PS4-display-area-settings-not-working/m-p/74...
Message 4 of 17 (36,970 Views)

★★ Novice
Yep I have this problem too. It's so annoying.
Message 5 of 17 (34,957 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Have they not fixed this yet?

Message 6 of 17 (33,918 Views)

★ Novice

Any fix to this yet? Getting kind of annoying.

Message 7 of 17 (32,403 Views)

★ Novice

Mine was doing the same thing.  I went into my TV settings and switched from widescreen to full and it fixed it. 

Message 8 of 17 (31,948 Views)

★ Novice

This worked for me, thank you

Message 9 of 17 (27,028 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This issue is still happening, I'm on xbox one and when I was on my smaller TV I had no issues, but as soon as I moved to a larger tv I could not longer fix the screen safe zone. And now scrolls off of screen. 

Message 10 of 17 (17,859 Views)