Re: Game Closes When Switching Between Apps

by Trouserdeagle

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game Closes When Switching Between Apps

★★★ Novice

Starting yesterday, the game completely closes if I switch to another app, then back to the game.  This could have *significant* impact if I were to switch between apps or allow my screen to lock during a battle or event.  This is on a Pixel 6 device with the latest June update.

Message 1 of 14 (1,280 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA Live QV Team

Hello @gregwillms 

Thanks for the report. Please try the Basic Troubleshooting Guide to fix your issues. Usually, these changes are related to the app cache and data.

View in thread

Message 2 of 14 (1,237 Views)

All Replies

EA Live QV Team

Hello @gregwillms 

Thanks for the report. Please try the Basic Troubleshooting Guide to fix your issues. Usually, these changes are related to the app cache and data.

Message 2 of 14 (1,238 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've tried all of that, including deleting the app, restarting my phone, and reinstalling the app.  

Message 3 of 14 (1,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I also have this issue since a few days ago on my Pixel 6 with the most recent update.

Unsurprised to see the usual "please try these troubleshooting steps" response trotted out again. Maybe instead you could take some time to actually investigate the reported issues in your game instead of ignoring them.

I can't tell if this is an issue with the app or an issue with the most recent Android update, but I'm reasonably certain it started before I updated with the June update.

I have cleared all app cache and data, reinstalled the game. 

The issue only happens with GOH. None of the other games I play daily suffer from such aggressive memory management.

Edit: I updated Android to the June update on Monday June 6th but looking at Discord I was complaining about this issue the day before I updated.

Message 4 of 14 (1,200 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have this same problem on a Pixel 6 Pro with the latest Android updates. If you do as much as try to answer a text message or take a phone call it runs the risk of closing the app.

What I see on the screen is that it appears to try to rotate something to portrait mode, then back to landscape mode as it exits the SWGOH app and returns you to the home screen on the phone.

No other apps do this, it is not something solved by the trivial troubleshooting steps proposed by EA support above.

I have uninstalled the swgoh app completely, rebooted the phone, reinstalled swgoh and it still occurs.

I have tried to clear data/cache and and it still occurs.

I have tried disabling Android System WebView and reenabling it as suggested elsewhere on the internet.

Message 5 of 14 (1,096 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've also noticed the portrait/landscape thing but I do wonder if that's just looking for a pattern and I just hadn't noticed it before. It doesn't seem to have a bearing on whether the app will close in the background or not, after testing a bit today. It just seems completely arbitrary, but there are some apps that are much more likely to force SWGOH to close when switching to them - Discord, for example, will close the game in the background almost every time when switching between the 2.

Message 6 of 14 (1,075 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Android Phone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Pixel 6 pro
OS Version 12 latest version
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode )
What type of issue do you have? Gameplay
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Summarize your bug Game relaunches when switching apps.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves?
Connection Type Wifi
Please select your region North America
Country Uk

I'm having all of the above problems. Force restarting the program when switching and the portrait landscape issue as well. I am using a pixel 6 Pro with the latest updates and this has only happened. Since the game has been updated. I have removed the game and the phone behaves flawlessly Ergo, The problem must be the game. I have not got this issue on any other applications at all.

If I uninstall the game and use discord and the camera app and dozens of other applications, I can switch between them without any of them needing to be relaunched. 

As soon as I install this game the issues reoccur. It must be interfacing with the memory somehow either for notifications or something else, but it is definitely causing issues.

• Edit: I hard reset my phone and reinstalled everything from scratch and up until I installed the game, As soon as that happened this iss
Message 7 of 14 (1,051 Views)

★★★ Novice
@grumpybear9000 I'm starting to think that the android update is what's causing this. I also play DC Legends and it happens with that game too. So seems like maybe any app using a substantial amount of memory is no longer able to tolerate switching between apps.
Message 8 of 14 (1,043 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Ugh. Now that would be a pain. Because it doesn't half knacker the battery constantly loading the game. 

I don't play another other games but use high memory applications and looking at memory usage it doesn't seem to tickle the 12 GB I have, so I'm not entirely convinced there isn't an issue as well as something else. That said, you may be right so not sure what we can do but it's a pain.

Message 9 of 14 (1,039 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

BuT hAvE yOu TrIeD tHe BaSiC tRoUbLeShOoTiNg GuIdE

Message 10 of 14 (1,020 Views)