by ArchXDiablo

Original Post

[GTW] Doctor Career is completely borked

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? ALL
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By playing the doctor career.
What happens when the bug occurs? -Pregnant emergency forces the random sim to keep the baby, therefore the town ends up with a bunch of random NPCs with random babies. It draws from a pool of random genetics from townies. -Doctors don't do anything, they cycle between the computer and analysis table. Useless. Also you have to engage with them before transferring cases. (It seems within the code that it is a requirement for the doctor to know the patients beforehand, otherwise no interactions are available) -Your sim may get stuck in a patient's bed after administering the cure. -Orderly doesn't do anything other than cleaning (no interaction with patients) -Receptionist does not do anything but sit there, does not admit patients.
What do you expect to see? -Pregnant scenarios should not make the sim keep the baby. -Doctors should talk to patients, help with diagnosing. -Orderly should talk to patients when there's nothing to clean. -Receptionist should admit patients when beds are available.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I've been playing the doctor career for a while now. I am amazed at how useless everyone is. No one does a thing, no one helps, about the only useful thing anyone does is the orderly cleaning. Awful all around, and clearly has to be bugs within the code as I highly doubt anyone at the studio intended for it to be like this, or at the very least I'd hope so. 

Message 1 of 19 (4,110 Views)

Re: [GTW] Doctor Career is completely borked

[ Edited ]
Champion

When the pregnant sims not showing up bug was around, I did get a bunch of townies that became pregnant and then kept the babies instead of showing up at the hospital - but that hasn't happened to me at all since they fixed it.

I haven't really played Doctor much recently, but when I did, there were house calls and outbreaks rather than pregnancy emergencies, so I can't check. Haven't seen any new babies recenly though.

Message 2 of 19 (4,060 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@simvasion When they fixed the pregnant sims not showing up, they changed the code and now the game thinks it's a normal pregnancy and they keep the babies. Afaik that was not the case before (at least when the pregnant sim actually showed up)

Ideally I'd hope this is not by design as it wasn't coded that way before. I love the doctor career but if doing that will result in 10+ newborn babies at random, then I'll just have to resort to using a mod that stops pregnancy emergencies from happening completely.

The rest of the issues though, very annoying. I like how in the scientist career I could ask co-workers to give me collectibles, analyze plants, crystals, experiment, invent things. I was expecting the doctor career to be more involved with the NPC workers but nope, seems the same check for "Does Sim X know Y" is in place. This is the same issue with retail and employees not doing retail interactions properly, the game has a check in code that if the target sim does not know the NPC, they cannot do the interaction. This should not be the case for doctors though, as you can diagnose and examine patients without knowing them.
Message 3 of 19 (4,050 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm sorry @ArchXDiablo, do you want to explain that again? Your issue is with the pregnant sim not showing up as I understand, but do you get the goal to deliver the baby? Or that doesn't pop up either? 'Cause that's my issue, I never get the goal (and therefore no pregnant sim obviously).

And I know I have newborn babies in my town all the time since I use MCC, townies love to procreate lol! One heavily pregnant sim even showed up to the hospital once, but as a normal sick patient...

Anyway, truth is I just want to know if I should be patient or if I should just skip to level 9 because the career is broken...

I went to the hospital for at least 4 work days since having the "deliver a baby" task, now the performance is fully green but I still haven't completed the task. I get house calls, and I got an emergency surgery one time. Also, I'm using a download hospital lost but everything works fine, patients show up fine and can use all/most utilities, so I don't think it's related either.

Message 4 of 19 (4,022 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Cinthilaa No, the issue is that when the pregnancy emergency pops up, the pregnant sim keeps the baby. This was not the case before they fixed the issue of pregnant sims not showing up. I do get pregnancies at my hospital but having the random sim keep the baby is flat out undesirable and I end up having to cull them myself. If the random pregnant sim is a service sim, then the game will unassign the NPC job and generate someone else, bloating my unhoused population.
Message 5 of 19 (4,001 Views)

★ Apprentice

I actually just recently completed the doctor career. For me, I wasn't getting any pregnant sims either, but I waited until my bar was all the way up for promotion availability and that is when the pregnant sims started to show up for delivery. Not sure if I just lucked out with that one, but I would say, try to raise their promotion bar all the way and if you still don't see them coming in you may have to skip it for now. I, also, use MC command center and other cc. Some things I noticed was that the other employees do not do much. The nurse's just stand around talking to patients, but rarely ever do anything else apart from cleaning and fixing broken objects. It was annoying while they are talking to a patient and I want to help that patient nurse was usually in the way and I had to repeatedly queue it or just move onto another patient. Sometimes I would be helping a patient and I would bring them to get and xray done and afterwards when they were back on the bed a nurse would go talk to them and I wouldn't be able to help them any further.

Message 6 of 19 (3,984 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I do get pregnant sims, but they keep the babies instead of just being a random emergency for the sake of doing your job.

At the beginning the nurse was talking to patients and cleaning, now they just clean and chat up the doctor.

The receptionist is useless, does nothing with the line of patients. Reminds me of Scientist career having a useless receptionist but hetere it should be crucial to check in patients much like how when you bring a pregnant sim to the hospital you check in at the front desk.

Message 7 of 19 (3,971 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah honestly I'm bothered by that as well! My sim is running all over the place and they don't do squat, can't even sign in patients or something, so they all go away after a little while 'cause they are sick of waiting, and sick PERIOD!

I really do feel like doctors, nurses, assistants and whatnot should at list sign them in, take them to a bed. At the moment they are just a bother 'cause when they are talking to patients, you can't treat such patient, when they're "analyzing" stuff, you can't actually use the machine to analyse a strain and treat a patient... All they do is bother my sim, prevent her from working. Compared to the vet career, I can't help but be disappointed by the other active careers 'cause you just realise that the colleagues are paid to chill lol. Detectives spend their days playing on computers and chatting, same really for the scientists, and well... I've said my piece about doctors.

So can we please get an update, some sort of improvement ?

I still don't know about the level 8 situation with the task to give birth to a baby though, I had to start a new save to see if that would fix another issue I have with family trees. So I started the career again, and went ahead to download a brand new fancy hospital. But since that new lot, the game has been lagging during her active work days. The sims sort of freeze and I have to pause for a minute otherwise I can't cue in interactions... there is no cc in there but it's a pretty big hospital so I'm guessing it has to do with all the objects and decorations. I deleted the 3rd floor but it's still freezing at times.

Message 8 of 19 (3,912 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So much wasted potential. Orderly is only good to make my sim stuck at a patient bed when i cure them since they immediately queue up the make bed interaction not allowing my sim to move so I have to interact with him to cancel it. Nurses just chat up to patients blocking me. A nurse should be able to at least get a swab for me. A receptionist should check in patients when beds are free. At this point I'm seriously considering just getting some free time to see if I could mod it as such, this is a 2015 pack so I have little hope for anything to happen.

Message 9 of 19 (3,872 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've been looking for a mod improving the doctor career for weeks but there's none out there... Terrible really !

I don't expect EA to fix that career either, it's too late, they've sort of moved on from all the things they messed up with the 4 and are working on the Sims 5 so...

But I still don't understand WHY, as they added the new Vet active career with cats and dog, didn't they update all active careers to follow the same pattern? People have been complaining about Get to Work since the game got out, they know players are disappointed and expect more from the franchise... And we know it's possible since they figured it out with the Vet career, animals and patients function exactly the same!

I do feel like the vet career is incredibly easy compared to the doctor career though, regarding diagnosis. If you do all the tests, you've only got one option left so can't really mess that up! But with the doctor career, man it's a struggle...

For some reason I'm stuck at level 5 with my new sim, she can't figure out the right diagnosis and her performance has dropped drastically. I keep checking the doctor career guide to make sure I look for the right symptoms, but often I have to chose between two diseases at the end, but they don't really show distinguishing symptoms so I end up winging it and...getting it wrong lol. Apart from physical marks and stripes and stuff, patients don't show much symptoms I feel, maybe it has to do with the career level I'm at, 'cause when I was having the issue with no pregnant sim showing up to give birth (at level 8), the patients definitely showed symptoms... 

Anyways, If you're working on a mod and I can help in ANY WAY, let me know! I actually can't mod but I can test lol

Message 10 of 19 (3,851 Views)