Franchise mode - Players who have a great season do much worse next year

by 13JOHNNYHOCKEY13

Original Post

Re: Franchise mode potential bug

★★ Pro

@TwoHeadedTOM I definitely hear ya. All I want as well is for this mode to be in an enjoyable state and it still isn't. 

Unfortunately, this year they have been playing from behind since the release and each month they have had to fix game breaking bugs. Scouting, chemistry, edit lines, trade values and the record book have all had to be fixed this year so its safe to say the pandemic has hit this mode extra hard. 

Message 41 of 148 (1,139 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm a broken record on this:

the easiest catch-all solution to all their non-gameplay bugs (many of which they've had in previous games, so it's not just Covid) is maximum customization.

Allow us to not only edit position in Franchise mode, but also roles... even names, faces, nationality, ratings, potential. Allow us to force trades and make CPU-CPU trades; allow us to block CPU-CPU trades (that way we could have CPU trades turned on, thus allowing some realism, while merely vetoing the most outlandish trades; I'd honestly not do that, I'd just spend several hours going over rosters at the start of the preseason, then again at the deadline, and make several targeted trades. It'd be less realistic, but more satisfying for me, and that's more important, honestly. But I absolutely think other players should have that option even though I, personally, wouldn't choose it.) Allow us to veto retirements, or force retirements.

Being able to edit those would solve problems with positions being wrong (like right-handed defenders being listed as LD, or defenders with the now-outdated "D" and no secondary position, or goalies with secondary positions), it'd allow us to fix those infuriating bad names (like the Polish-born Greg Liston and Marvin Jones not having traditionally Polish names)... we could just jump into a Franchise mode without having to spend hours fixing their inaccurate roster ratings; we could just fix a couple players' ratings/potential here and there as we notice them, in between games. We could fix ratings to reflect what their development was to counter-act the buggy decline. We could fix positions for players that've spent several years at RW; it's dumb that one year at LW in juniors means you're a LW even if you spend over a decade in the NHL as a RW. Sometimes forwards get moved to defense, and vice versa, yet EA thinks that we shouldn't be allowed to do that. ("If it's in the game" * you, I guess. Because we don't want to allow you full control, because you may, *gasp*, "cheat" and have a good time. I mean... I'd do it largely to make the game *more* realistic, but even if I cheated in every possible way... so what? It's a video game, the point is to have fun, right? If that's fun for somebody, then why does EA feel compelled to police how they enjoy it?)

And again, we should even be allowed to edit stats. I just want it 99% because I create a player that I draft in year 2 or 3, and I want his juniors stats to be what my Be A Pro got, rather than the underwhelming simmed stats... but also: at the moment both Sami Vatanen and Ryan Suter have a combined 0 goals and 2 GWGs in my Franchise, and uh... I guess that's an impressive ratio. That needs to be fixed. And even if EA fixes it *moving forward*, there's no way they'll be able to retroactively fix GWGs. But you know how it *could* be fixed? Maximum customization.

It wouldn't solve *every* problem, but it would solve *so many* of them, and in the easiest way possible for them and the most satisfying way possible for us (because we'd be able to choose which solution works best for us).

Message 42 of 148 (1,134 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Also, this is off-topic, but...

why do players have silhouettes rather than faces? I mean, I get it with the relatively few players who are real but for whatever reason don't have portraits, but... your Be A Pro has a portrait, right? Clearly they have the technology to do that. So why don't all created players (both player created and CPU-generated prospects) have that feature? Why is it that the game essentially condemns you to have a team that is 90%+ silhouettes by year 15-20 of your Franchise mode? It's not functionally important, but... it's just dumb. It's easily fixed.

Message 43 of 148 (1,136 Views)

★★★ Guide
@SchulzEricT Wow this game is a joke. What is the point of playing if the generated players don’t even develop properly? And what’s the point of playing, if we can’t FIX the generated prospects, by EDITING the players since EA took that feature away. What stupidity. Why are the offline players always shafted? Screw HUT, and their gambling mechanics with their loot boxes. I paid for this game, I expect to be able to PLAY the game, after TWO ENTIRE MONTHS. Yet I cannot because it’s bugged right out and unplayable. This is a joke. Don’t worry about sounding like a broken record dude. That’s what I’ve been sounding like for a month and a half, and still I haven’t seen any results from EA. No notable bug fixes (oh yay, record book is fixed, great, that really made FM unplayable..) what a joke
Message 44 of 148 (1,120 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Beauts90 I can't believe this game is so worthless right now. Thanks for simming for us, appreciate it. Really saves the rest of us from wasting our time on this laughable pile of garbage they call a game.

Can’t believe it’s still like this.

I’m confident as wel, that they are aware of the problems. But I am not confident whatsoever that we will be seeing any fixes that will make the game mode playable, any time soon. Maybe once the game hits the 4-6month old mark. Hopefully.
Message 45 of 148 (1,129 Views)

★★ Pro

I was personally excited when I saw that they introduced the ability to choose your draft class quality this year. Ever since they introduced scouts I have found it too easy to build strictly through the draft and there wasn't much need for trades or free agents other than placeholder spots while your prospects develop. I get that most guys like just drafting/developing and that's cool too, at least we had options this year. Now of course what is happening is not a good thing and is clearly a bug as putting up good stats need to grow appropriately, especially the franchise and elite potential players. I have yet to be able to test out the different options to see if there are in fact or prospects that don't develop into what they are supposed to or these options only control how many elite players are in later rounds. Once the turnover of real players is complete, it seems the mode will be basically over (so 8-10 years...), but I am still going to get into a franchise now and see if I can notice if this is happening to all cpu generated players if of course I get that deep into it before the next patch. (the roster turnover may just be too much for me to handle as well, we shall see)

Message 46 of 148 (1,082 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Beauts90 yeah it doesn’t make any sense for players to get negative NATURAL growth when putting up a good season and getting an overall boost. And then dropping like crazy before they halfway through the next season.
If the prospect quality only controls how many elite players are in the later rounds, then that’s stupid. It should be overall. Instead of the top 15-20 being elites, make 10ish elites, and top 6/top4s instead, and have them actually develop instead of hitting a wall at 79-82.
It’s definitely too easy to get good prospects every, especially the elite goalies of nhl 19&20. Always draft 1 or two elite goalies every year it was dumb.

When I finish my set and get days off, perhaps I’ll try and run some sims and record some data too. It’s a good idea, and props to you for helping out man. Maybe if we keep talking, and trying, EA will do something.. doubtful, but maybe.
Message 47 of 148 (1,074 Views)

★★ Pro

I will say this. I am more than ok with prospects not reaching their potential. In fact, I encourage it as long as its reflected in their stats which is not the case we have here. In real life there are way more players drafted that don't pan out than those that do including some higher picks. If I pick a guy with franchise potential first overall I'm ok if they don't develop into a 95 overall and I'm even ok if they are a complete bust as long as the reasoning makes sense and its not due to a bug. If they only put up 20-30 points a year I don't think they should grow very much at all. You don't want stats to matter and would prefer if your players always developed? Great, give us the option to turn it on/off or have difficulty settings. As @SchulzEricT has been saying, give us more options on how we want to play the game.

Message 48 of 148 (1,069 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Beauts90 I think we’re mixed up here, I’m at work and rushed replies. I’m happy with prospects not working out. But I mean the prospects that are top 4, top 6 seem to never pan out, only the elites so. They should make top 4 and top 6 more impactful. And they should lessen the amounts of elites.

If prospects don’t put up points, they shouldn’t grow. But they also shouldn’t NOT grow, because they don’t put up points. If that makes sense. There needs to be a balance. But yes @SchulzEricT has always hit the nail on the head. Let us customize the game so EA doesn’t have to try and balance everything because they clearly are inept at doing that
Message 49 of 148 (1,068 Views)

★ Guide

Yea confirmed, after a few seasons in young elite potential computer generated players have extreme negative natural growth at times. This is ridiculous. They only somewhat fixed the trade value. I still see unrealistic high and low values appear for players but it's not enough to really bother me; like I got 1.1m Logan Stanley 24 Top 4 Med potential for free (I gave them a 6th rounder and they called me a gift horse or whatever)  then his value jumped within a week to almost half. There's no Jay Beagles at full Connor Mcdavid value and vise versa anymore. 

Screw it, not buying these games release day, I'm not buying these games at all anymore, they got my 80 bucks CAD and that's the last of it. My friends usually buy the new one on Xbox anyways and we play versus time to time so I'll just do that. Even though I like hockey a lot more than basketball, I'll probably jump on the NBA 2K bandwagon. The difference in the quality of the 2 games is HUGE, especially when it comes to their Franchise mode. The amount of customization available to team's trade, free agency strategies, actual game strategy, player attributes, player personality, peak range of potential, player growth, decline, training effects, fatigue, you name it they have everything and more... oh yea and you can edit a player's height, weight & age (not in franchise), roster sharing too. I don't even know how to go about it so I mostly leave it at default but I wouldn't if it were an NHL game.

EA NHL will never do what 2K does, they will continue to do what they do year after year. By buying EAs game I'm just supporting their product and I don't want to see it continue so I'm not buying them anymore. I'll start supporting 2K as the potential competition instead. If EA NHL sales drop enough that can invite competition and that's what I want to see. To me I see it as low risk (because their product sucks and it's getting stale for me, especially with the direction they've taken) high reward (because of what it could potentially be, the equivalent of 2K). When EA NHLs product sales drop they'll either change for the better (not) or invite competition (please do). 

peace 

Message 50 of 148 (1,063 Views)