Frameless glasses lenses appear black instead of clear

by Lyoufln

Original Post

Frameless glasses lenses appear black instead of clear

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, Parenthood, Toddler Stuff, and Laundry Day Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go into CAS, and put the frameless glasses on a sim (glasses shown in picture below), then go into Live Mode.
What happens when the bug occurs? The lenses appear black (like sunglasses) instead of being clear.
What do you expect to see? Clear lenses in both CAS and Live Mode.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I updated my computer recently, but I think the most recent patch is more likely to have something to do with it.

I've repaired my game and restarted Origin, but the lenses are still black.

The glasses having this problem are circled in yellow (my sim typically wears the 4th swatch, which is brown). I put a different pair of glasses on my sim's wife and her glasses didn't go black. Just seems to be this pair doing it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.57.00 PM.png

Glasses in brown swatch as they appear in Live Mode.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.43.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.43.40 PM.png

Message 1 of 14 (6,918 Views)

Re: Frameless glasses lenses appear black instead of clear

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @Lyoufln 

Is it just that brown swatch that does it for you ? All age groups ?

I tried the brown one, the white one and the blue one but with an elder and all was fine

Swatch.jpg

Might be a mac issue. What graphics card do you have ? Are you on Laptop mode ?

Tagging @Bluebellflora 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 14 (6,870 Views)

@Lyoufln 

I've just tested the brown frames on a male sim on my Mac and they show up as normal. Please can you provide more information about your Mac and game. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 14 (6,848 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict Yes, I am using Laptop Mode. I tested the frames in brown and green. They both show up with black frames.

@Bluebellflora Here's my Mac specifications:

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 12.32.22 PM.png

I'm going to test those frames again and other glasses too!

Message 4 of 14 (6,835 Views)

Hero
Could you turn laptop mode off for testing ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 14 (6,832 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict

I don't think turning laptop mode is possible for the time being. My game runs on all low graphics (except for view distance) and I fear that turning off Laptop mode will cause it to crash immediately.

However, I just went in-game to test a few things. The adult male sim affected by this is named Roman. Roman's glasses have black lenses no matter what pair he wears. I "Saved As" his file and tried again, but the lenses were still black. I tested a different adult male sim in the same save file (Spencer) and all his glasses showed up clear, as they should be:

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.04.15 PM.png

I tested this stuff in a different save file. I tested various male townies (adult and young adult) and all their glasses appeared clear and perfectly normal. Could an issue like this just affect one sim?

Message 6 of 14 (6,827 Views)

Hero

Hi @Lyoufln 

Could you upload the faulty Sim to the gallery or does that fix him ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 14 (6,763 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict That's a good idea! I'll test it. Standard smile

Message 8 of 14 (6,755 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hey @crinrict, I tested the faulty sim (Roman). I saved his household and set them in a different save file. His glasses were still black. Then, I uploaded them to the Gallery and re-downloaded them into my game. His glasses were still black!

Roman's teenage son's glasses were perfectly normal. I guess he just isn't meant to wear glasses!

Message 9 of 14 (6,738 Views)

Hero
Is he still in the gallery ? I can check in my game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 14 (6,717 Views)