Frame loss/stuttering around larger ships

★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? DarthZiplock
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Other
Please explain 'Other' In ALL game modes around all bigger ships (corvetterraider, light cruiser, Quasar, flagship, etc)
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. Flying past these larger ships causes frame losses and severe stuttering. There is no frame loss at any other point in the game, ever.
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. In game around all bigger ships (corvetterraider, light cruiser, Quasar, flagship, etc). This occurs most severely in fleet battles, somewhat less in story and practice mode
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Since the 1.01 update
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Can play, but it's highly frustrating
What happens when the bug occurs? The frame rate drops severely, causing complete loss of control
What do you expect to see? Framerates that stay constant like they do for the entire rest of the game. Squadrons and Battlefront II both run at perfect 60fps for me, other than the issue with these bigger ships.
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." no
What components were you using? n/a
Which customizations (if any) were you using? n/a

Now before you go dismissing my old hardware as the problem, there are other people with extremely powerful computers who also have this problem (and like I mentioned, Battlefront II runs flawless for me). This thread on reddit contains many reports and some video evidence:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/k9b7tz/momentary_fps_loss_the_first_time_you_com...

Message 1 of 8 (747 Views)

Re: Frame loss/stuttering around larger ships

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I installed a faster CPU and faster RAM and it made no difference. It’s as if the big ships are being loaded from disk when flying past. Please @EA_Atic investigate and fix this!

Message 2 of 8 (671 Views)

★★ Apprentice

On update 4.2. Still getting stutters when nearing larger ships. 

Oculus Quest 2 via Link (72 Hz res. 3920, 1984) / Rift S

Ryzen 3800x

RTX 2070 Super

SSD NVME

All in-game VR settings on LOW. Changing the in-game VR rendering resolution has no affect on the stutter. I can reduce the render resolution to minimum and it will still stutter. Happens on both Quest 2 and Rift S.

Message 3 of 8 (607 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@edgarfriendly297 

How bad is your stutter? Just some frame drops or a complete freeze? Mine is just about a complete freeze.

Message 4 of 8 (601 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Not a complete freeze, but it will last for a few seconds. 

Message 5 of 8 (584 Views)

★ Novice

I'm getting this as well, but on everything. Specifically when I move my character's head or turn my ship. I've tried turning all settings to their lowest and it still occurs. Makes the game unplayable now because I freeze every 10-15 seconds.

Message 6 of 8 (561 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@EA_Atic Can we PLEASE get this fixed instead of new cosmetics??

Message 7 of 8 (462 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@DOOBActual What you describe seems to be something different. Either you are using a very high vr resolution scaling or maybe you have problems with your gpu driver. I had the same, when a nvidia gpu driver update partly failed. I completely removed the driver and reinstalled it. Then the permanent stuttering during head movement, ship turning etc. was gone.
Message 8 of 8 (447 Views)