Fps suddenly decreased dramatically in match

★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia RTX 2060 super
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16 GB 3200 Mhz patriot viper
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Dr. Duckling
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Valkyrie
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In the entire map
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. During the whole gameplay
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? This started occuring recently
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 31.10.21 19:45 to 20:30 Central Europe Timezone
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Little to no impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? I get lower fps than i'm supposed to i usually get 165 fps constantly no issue at all but now i'm getting to be entirely accurate in lobby 120-130 fps in character selection + settings 165 fps (pretty useless honestly) in match in the plane/jet/spaceship 100-110 fps during flight ~60-70 fps when landed it fluctuates between 110-120 fps
What should be happening instead? I should be getting 165 fps constantly the bare minimum i used to get was 155 fps
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? you type in cmd sfc /scannow is the my only assumption as to what could've caused the issue the only "tinkering" which i did to the system (entirely automatic command) due to my windows keyboard not working which was just a function of the keyboard manufacturer which was possibly to enable/disable by pressing fn + f10

couldn't add screenshots due to steam screenshots not showing fps

Message 1 of 25 (934 Views)

Re: Fps suddenly decreased dramatically in match

Community Manager

Hi @AinzOolgon

Is your frame rate uncapped? If so, can you try setting a cap to test and see if that makes a difference? I've seen some cases where that can help with issues like this. 

Kent.png
Message 2 of 25 (878 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@AinzOolgonI am on 5700XT = comparable card, same thing since day 1 in March this year:

- ship looking forward with "cloud" or "exhaust effects" = 80-100 fps, looking back 143 capped
- drop ~100 fps
- game as long as no glowing effects are present stead 143 capped
- as soon as someone drops armor or there is any other glowing - the same 30-40 fps drop instantly
- in some random places I also get 100-120 fps e.g. KC map middle room in Labs or looking into loot pill

It is just the game and it's (not) optimization I am 90% sure.

p.s. I also hear from people that somehow single-core CPU performance affects this - one guy said that he switched from 3600X Ryzen 5 to 5600X and his FPS went up by like 30 or something while the rest of the hardware remained the same. And the only thing that really changed was the single-core performance as e.g. neither my CPU nor GPU is utilized by Apex even close to 100% or thermal throttling. And the most amazing fact was that he is playing on 1080 GPU or something that is far more limited than yours or mine.

Message 3 of 25 (860 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent i honestly don't know how to check that, could you guide me how to do the test and i'll preform it and see if fps were capped
Message 4 of 25 (829 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@AinzOolgon 

Origin:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

Steam:

Screenshot_3.png

Accordingly, if you have there a command +fps_max XXX then the number you see is the max FPS game will render. Even if your GPU can push more it will not do that.

If you don't see such lines assuming there will be none given you don't know where to look for them, the game has uncapped FPS = GPU will push as many FPS as possible at all times.

Message 5 of 25 (821 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Eshshshss thank you i'll try it out
Message 6 of 25 (818 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent another user showed me the method and i did it, despite capping it at 60 it went up to 80 maximum, and was constantly fluctuating from 79 to 80 fps, didn't help i'd say since i wasn't getting any decent frames compared to originally
Message 7 of 25 (811 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @AinzOolgon

Thanks for giving that a shot! 

What does your hardware usage look like while Apex Legends is running? Are you seeing anything weird there? 

Kent.png
Message 8 of 25 (773 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent while playing the game the hardware usage is fully utilized so i don't think it's a hardware problem in particular, if it's a software problem i'm yet to try and redownload the gpu drives from nvidia
Message 9 of 25 (760 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent just to inform of my latest "testing" i've reinstalled nvidia drivers for geforce 2060 super and it went well and all but i still get 60-80 fps (i got higher previously after lowering the spot shadow detail but i got 165 fps previously even with that on very high)
Message 10 of 25 (714 Views)