by braulyoko

Original Post

Family Tree Missing Members [TS4] [Please help!]

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Español
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EP: Eco Lifestyle, Discover University, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get To Work. GP: Realm Of Magic, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat. SP: Paranormal, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, Moschino, Vintage Glamour, Romantic Garden, Spooky, Cool Kitchen. K: Courtyard Oasis.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to any family with at least two generations deceased.
What happens when the bug occurs? When you check the Family Tree, some members are missing (Specially first generation members).
What do you expect to see? No member should be missing in the Family Tree/Genealogy.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Hello, everyone!

I was minding my own business about to move out Ajay Loner from Strangerville to Oasis Springs, because I wanted to move Bella Goth where he was staying. I'm trying to recreate The Sims 2 lore on my Sims 4 save. So, I casually looked into his family tree and found this:

TS4Error02a.png

Three of his grandparents were missing! There must be a mistake here..., I thought. So, I went to the Beaker's house and, for my surprise, it went the same with Circe and Loki:

TS4Error02b.pngTS4Error02c.png

I thought it was something to do with the ghosts' thing that I read that they had a limited lifetime. So, I checked Nervous Subject's too because his was one of the first family trees I rebuilt, and to my surprise, the only missing relative was one of Ophelia's granparents:

TS4Error02d.pngTS4Error02e.png

So, I was panicking if I lost all of my deceased sims graves, so I made Ajay visit the Graveyard:

TS4Error02g.png

Unfortunately I couldn't revive any of the ghosts to reconnect them to the Family Tree with the MCCC (or couldn't figure out how to), but at least their names were on the graves. Lastly, I went to the Goths because they were the last family (or maybe it was the Capp/Monty, I don't remember well at this point lol) I rebuilt their genealogy and same:

TS4Error02f.png

It was very disappointing and frustraiting for me finding out this because I put a lot of effort into it, and I was about to rebuild the Landgraab's and Alto's genealogy. So with this issue, I'm not sure if it's worthy Frown 

Is there anything I could do to recover all my family trees? I'd be thankful if someone could tell me.

Greetings to all!

Braulyoko

Note: I already disabled the MCCC and the bug still occurred.

Message 1 of 6 (4,099 Views)

Re: Family Tree Missing Members [TS4] [Please help!]

★★ Guide
@braulyoko Hi, I believe this has to do with EA’s culling system. In the past, the same has also happened to me. Every time there is a new patch, save games with ghosts in the family tree, get culled. Ever since this happened to me years ago, I’ve been using a mod, MC Command, to stop ghosts from the family tree and even unplayed sims who aren’t living in the world, from getting culled whenever the game or a patch felt like doing so. At this point, those sims of yours may very well be lost unless you have them saved somewhere where you can bring them back, add them to the family tree and then kill them again... as harsh as that sounds. If you have a previous save, you could try saving them from that, too, if they are still there.
Message 2 of 6 (4,016 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi, @thecharsims! Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I don't have a previous copy of my save game Frown Guess I'll have to do this all again 😭😥😅

Message 3 of 6 (4,006 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@braulyokoYea, no problem. So sorry about that. A tip of advice though, it’s something that I do in my own game as a precaution. For future gaming, every now and again, just save your sims to the gallery. I have so many versions of my sims saved to my gallery that it’s nostalgic lol But it helps in situations like this in the event you have to go back and grab a copy of a sim. I did this with my first heir. She and her husband was deceased and they were culled after a patch. Since I had a version of them in the gallery, I was able to add them back. I’ve done the same for their 4 kids who also went off to have families. I’ve saved every gen including toddlers on up. Even when the toddlers aged, I saved again when they were children... so on and so forth bcus you never know. It’s a pain but it’s almost to be expected. Good luck to you. I hope my advice helps. Oh! And definitely get Mc Command. They have an option that stop sims from being culled.

Message 4 of 6 (3,983 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I just realized I didn't change the settings for avoiding culling at the MCCC 🤦🏼‍♂️ I thought it only affected families I never played with or ghosts, but keeping them in the genealogy records. I immediately changed it.

Thanks for the advice @thecharsims ! I have a question though, for example, if you save a family with a deceased generation in the gallery, do you keep the graves at the alive sims' inventory? When placing back, do the graves keep the deceased sim information? Do I make sense with my questions? lol 😅 Thanks in advance! :D 

Message 5 of 6 (3,941 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@braulyokoYea, the culling system is such an annoying feature. I lost sims very early on thanks to EA due to a patch. The only way to avoid sims, both played and NPC sims from getting culled, is to place them in your played households category from "Household Manager". By marking them with a heart, you guarantee their safety. As for ghosts and their graves getting wiped, it'd be safer to still use MCCC, also. I haven't had an issue since. Actually, that's when I came to the realization that patches will clear out all ghosts even in your family tree, including their graves. I was upset about it but was thankful I had back up saves with the sims that were culled, though it meant having to kill them myself. Honestly, I have a whole other family tree issue with that same family I speak of. It's just so annoying overall, how badly the sims team really messed up when it comes to the family tree.

Anyway, you're very much welcome. Your question makes sense lol As for saving sims to the gallery, all of their inventory items will be purged. Honestly, if you put 2 very close friends in the same gallery save and place them down in a new world, their entire relationship drops a good 85%-90%. Like, introductions have to be made all over again if you place sims separately. Same thing goes for spouses and their children, except they will have a small amount of relationship. The only thing that sims keep when you save them to the gallery is, their skills and whatever job they had.

Message 6 of 6 (3,902 Views)