by LionheartedLight

Original Post

Facial Reconstruction Causes Crash

★★ Novice

Product: Mass Effect Andromeda
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
What edition do you have? Deluxe Edition
Physical Disc or Digital version? Disc Based Install
Summarize your bug Attempting to open the Facial Reconstruction feature on the Tempest causes my game to crash.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How long has this issue been happening? Always Happens
Which single-player mode are you playing? Standard.
Please select your region
Run the www.speedtest.net network benchmark and post your upload and download speeds.
What company provides your internet service?
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to open Facial Reconstruction.
What is the AMD or Nvidia Model Number of your graphics card?
Please enter memory size in GB.

Attempting to open the Facial Reconstruction feature on the Tempest causes my game to crash.

I use a PS4 on the current patch (Andromeda is in its latest version/has no pending updates, according to my PS4). I've tried to use Facial Reconstruction at least twice; the patch messed up the appearance of my Sara in an NG+ and initial CC could not fix the issues (increased scar intenseness and lipstick brightness) so I tested Facial Reconstruction with my standard (non-NG+) Scott save. The game starts to load the CC screen and then crashes.

I hope we can find some answers to fix the problem!

Message 1 of 16 (7,241 Views)

Re: Facial Reconstruction Causes Crash

★ Guide

Seems like there was an error for you when the game updated.
It may be worth attempting to repair the game (not sure how that's done on PS4) or reinstalling it.

Message 2 of 16 (7,168 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Hey,

In attempting to solve this issue I actually ran into another issue (and the original remains unsolved).

I deleted the game and reinstalled it. Before doing so I backed up my save data onto a USB drive. When Andromeda was ready to launch, attempting to load saves prompted an error: "The data required to load the save file is still being installed. Please wait until it is available."

Obviously until I fixed this, I couldn't test the Facial Reconstruction Suite issue post-reinstall. So I got to work troubleshooting. I went digging in threads and learned that uploading save data to the cloud, then downloading it, would solve the issue. I don't have a PSN plus subscription, so I tried downloading save data from my USB instead. This didn't work so I activated a free trial, uploaded to cloud, then started downloading but cancelled because I was worried about breaking the max saves rule (I didn't overwrite when downloading USB, just copied, because I didn't know if replacing would harm my progress. If I didn't overwrite with the cloud saves too, it would exceed 40 save files).

I entered Andromeda and loaded a game, which surprisingly worked. I tested this on two Ryders, and loading both saves worked. Assuming I had fixed the issue, I again attempted to use the Facial Reconstruction Suite. My game still quit.

So the original issue has not resolved itself, unfortunately. At least my saves are working again!

I came across another thread here ( http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/With-the-new-Facial-Reconstruction-in-1-08-unable-to-change/m-p... ) in which another PS4 user and a PC user are experiencing the same crash. (These error reports seem to be replies to a thread about beard sliders.)

Something I noticed about the other users encountering this Facial Reconstruction crash is that they are having this crash when attempting to use the feature with Ryders created AFTER the patch. The PC user says that their pre-1.08 Ryder was able to use the Facial Reconstruction Suite without game crash. The PS4 user has only attempted to use it with a Ryder created post-1.08.

Sorry for the very wordy response, I'd just like to resolve this issue as soon as possible so I can fix some aesthetic concerns with my NG+ (I created my NG+ from a pre-1.08 Ryder but started the NG+ after updating to 1.08, but have not tested the Facial Reconstruction Suite with her yet)!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I tried the Facial Reconstruction Suite with my pre-1.08 Ryder and it did not crash the game, but editing the lipstick and scar features caused them to skyrocket in opacity/intenseness when I returned to the main menu of the Facial Reconstruction Suite. Attempting to change these sliders has consistently yielded no effect; they stubbornly ignore my attempts to return them to lower opacity.

Yet Another Edit: Troubleshooting seems to be my new hobby. After trying the Facial Reconstruction Suite again with my pre-1.08 Ryder, the opacity issues seem to have resolved themselves.

However, trying the Facial Reconstruction Suite with my post-1.08 Ryder still crashes the game.
Message 3 of 16 (7,159 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey, I'm the PS4 person who also had this issue. I had originally created my post on it's own, as the PC user had, I believe, but the next day, it had been combined with that beard slider post. Not sure why. They are very different issues.

Hope a solution to this comes up soon. The facial reconstruction bug basically makes it unusable, assuming it happens to many people creating characters after the latest patch.

Message 4 of 16 (7,150 Views)

★★ Novice
Yes, absolutely. When I tried making another new Sara Ryder post-1.08, the CC was also being very uncooperative with the sliders, and behaving like the in-game CC opacity issues I mentioned above. This was for a brand new Sara, as well, so it was very frustrating that I couldn't get the look I wanted, especially considering that the bug with the Facial Reconstruction Suite crash makes it impossible to edit Ryder on the Tempest.

I'm hoping this gets resolved soon so we can both have a better Andromeda experience!
Message 5 of 16 (7,145 Views)

★★ Novice

Have this exact same problem on Xbox One, was hoping it would have been fixed by now, the patch has been out for long enough

Message 6 of 16 (7,058 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Well here we are, it is MID JULY and this issue still hasn't been fixed

Get your * together, Bioware.

For the record, I have a PRE 1.08 Ryder. I am in podt game, I used the facial reconstruction bay, and my hair ended up being some BRIGHT PASTEL BLUE I did not pick. My character's face looked fine in the creator, but once out of the creator the hair color changed AND his eyes were more narrow and honestly look kind of slanted. Now any time I go back in, it starts to load the CC and then crashes.
Message 7 of 16 (6,983 Views)

★★ Novice

Not sure if it's worthy of reviving a 'dead' thread but I'm having the same issue on PS4 here in October. Has anyone found a fix for this yet or are we SOL? 

Message 8 of 16 (6,647 Views)

★ Guide

I was playing mass Andromeda  last night  on my xbox one  I don t have this problem  because my game don't have any updates to it  . I have the disc version of this game 

Message 9 of 16 (6,637 Views)

★ Novice
November 2017; Same issue; PS4; I started the game post-patch, so my Ryder is completely post-patch (every save). Every time I try to use the facial reconstruction suite in the Med Bay the game crashes. Seems I’m stuck with neon hair. This seemed to coincide rescuing the Salarian Arc.
Message 10 of 16 (6,401 Views)