[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RX 6700 XT ROG Strix
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32 GB 3200 XMP enabled
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? R3ckl3ssF1r3
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. Issue occurs with or without teammates
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? MSI Afterburner with no OC just for the FPS
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Any
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Issue occurs with or without teammates
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Any
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. From Launch throughout whole match
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? First match (and any number of matches after)
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 31/03/21 18:00 ET
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? FPS drop to mid 40's-80's
What should be happening instead? 140 FPS Average
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a system to my specs and try running the game.

This issue occurs from the second the drop ship loads throughout the entire match. Happens Every match without exception. Changing in game settings doesn't effect the outcome. Happens if I play solo with any Legend or with teammates. In Menu and character select screens I get the full 144 FPS. I did notice in MSI after burner that the GPU doesn't rev up to full usage in match but does in menus and select character screen. I have the most up to date Driver for my GPU. I have tried it with AMD SAM on and off. Only occurs in Apex and not in any other games I play. (Borderlands 3, Civ 6, Othercide, Tomb Raider, etc.) If you require any additional info please do let me know. 

[Admin - updating thread title to reflect content of report]

Message 1 of 22 (2,612 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: FPS Drops

Community Manager

Hi @R3ckl3ssF1r3

Have you had the chance to try starting up your PC in a Clean Boot since this started happening? If there's anything else running that might be related to the FPS issues that could help narrow it down. 

For more details on how to set up a Clean Boot check out the EA Help website. Once you've had the chance to give it a shot please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 22 (2,572 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi @R3ckl3ssF1r3

Have you had the chance to try starting up your PC in a Clean Boot since this started happening? If there's anything else running that might be related to the FPS issues that could help narrow it down. 

For more details on how to set up a Clean Boot check out the EA Help website. Once you've had the chance to give it a shot please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 22 (2,573 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi Kent,

PC Spec: i7 9700F 4.7GHz, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, 16GB DDR4

I would also like to report that my Apex gameplay is constantly affected by frame rate drops as the original poster has said. This happens after about an hour's of smooth gameplay via Steam. This does not happen in the firing range or in any other games.

I have reduced the graphic settings in the menu to mitigate these issues, but this has had no effect. I have also set up a separate graphics profile for Apex on my graphic card, which also hasn't helped.

This is an issue that I have also heard others reporting.

I always clean reboot the PC for my gameplay and the only other software running in the background is Streamlabs OBS and sometimes Discord.

This issue has plagued my game probably since the Genesis update but I'm not too sure.

Please reply to me on this matter.

Regards

Borg

Message 3 of 22 (2,503 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @BorgKapy83

Thanks for sharing! 

Have you been keeping an eye on your hardware temperatures and usage while Apex Legends is running? Have you seen anything out of the ordinary there? 

Kent.png
Message 4 of 22 (2,375 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@BorgKapy83 just a game code, optimization issue - I have also tried the lowest possible settings and FPS drops still happen and somewhat randomly: sometimes drop appears when looking into an open part of map, sometimes staring into the wall/supply bin within enclosed space...

But yeah this really affects gameplay, I almost feel like capping frames to like 60 or something.

p.s. of course unless you have like 3080/3090/Radeon 6x series that can probably max out anyway seeing what streamers show on their machines.
Message 5 of 22 (2,288 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Hi Kent,

Thanks for your reply.  My apologies for my late response back.

In terms of temperature readings, I have just checked those during my latest play of the game which lasted about two hours.  During this session, maximum temperature by any of the 8 cores was 75 deg Celcius and minimum of 66.

The drop in framerate started affecting play during the final two matches.  In the penultimate game it was very short lived.  However, in the final game it was almost constant.

I have attached a short clip of the final game of my play today to illustrate the issue.  This happens under any scenario, such whether engaged in battle or not, in closed spaces and open, etc.

You assistance is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Borg

Message 6 of 22 (2,200 Views)

Community Manager

@BorgKapy83 

Thank you for following up! I appreciate the updates. 

Do you have your FPS uncapped at the moment? If so, does setting an FPS cap make any difference? 

Kent.png
Message 7 of 22 (1,989 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@BorgKapy83 typical day in Apex for me.

After I saw videos where people who are pushing 189 still get frame drops like that I just assumed/accepted that this game is not going to runs steady and everyone is having these issues = level playing field, just brace and hope for the best aka that you can hit your shots on cropping, teleporting, lagging enemy models Standard smile

p.s. my game is capped at 144 and FPS keeps dropping in random places no matter what settings I play on and no matter the temps (hardware is not thermal throttling).
Message 8 of 22 (1,901 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Eshshshss

I know this will probably sound weird, but have you tried lowering your mouse polling rate to see if that makes any difference? I've seen some cases in the past where that can help with stability. 

Kent.png
Message 9 of 22 (1,864 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@EA_Kentnot sure if I want to do that given mouse pooling rate same as FPS are an essential part of FPS games that gives players an edge or at least evens out odds vs others.

I today tried locking FPS to my usually lowest point in-game = 70, and sure enough, those were stable throughout the game, minus the consequences of course.

The main question here at least from my side is how the game works and why FPS drops appear like in the posted video - inside labs where there is no huge scenery to be rendered - or as for me when staring into a loot pill/box... I would be ok with FPS dropping when the whole map is being rendered during the jump or when looking over a big part of the map but these places...

Secondary question - why Respawn does not allow lowering graphics settings according to avoid such cases e.g. in Quake you could set crazy low map details (picmip, shadows, detail quality, etc.) that yes gave not only FPS increase but also a game advantage - better contrast, easier to spot enemies. But still, in Apex there should be at least some sort of the middle-ground here given it is ridiculous to see the current Hardware load, maxed out FPS in one place and a half!!! of the FPS figure in other places.

Currently, it just seems that either Respawn is not testing the game properly or has no clue why this is happening. Of course, if they do test the game and do not experience the same issues it would be great to have a post with all the settings for hardware and software so people can replicate and verify such secnario.

Message 10 of 22 (1,855 Views)