FM cannot edit player

by SkylerJames13

Original Post

FM cannot edit player

★★★ Guide

Can’t edit player type or position. Haven’t received any info on this in over a month. Wondering what happened to it. 

for example, say the AI generates prospects in 2028, and you draft a C PWF, 5’9, 174lbs. All his shooting stats, puck skills stats, and speed are great. But his defensive stats are lacking, face offs are poor, poor physicality. Now it makes more sense to have him as a Sniper, Winger. But alas, I cannot change his player type and position to properly align with his stats. Now I’m stuck with a power forward that should’ve been a sniper. 

Will this feature come back? Or is it been intentionally removed for some crazy reason 

Message 1 of 7 (423 Views)

Re: FM cannot edit player

★★ Pro

@SkylerJames13 yes this!! I would rather they just have attributes match their position and player type, but will settle for being able to edit them again as that's easier to fix.

Message 2 of 7 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

To some degree, I get not allowing us to edit roles; you'd be fundamentally changing how a player plays the game. A coach can maybe nudge a guy, or coach him up and improve on areas where he's weak, but I can understand how it'd be "unrealistic" for a coach to change a player who is a sniper into a pass-first playmaker. It's a mentality, not a skill.
THAT BEING SAID... there's not many grinders in the draft (in my experience, at least; particularly not at the top end of the draft). And that makes sense; few NHL grinders were grinders in juniors or college; they were all scorers who weren't good enough to continue to be elite scorers at the next level, so they had to adjust their game. Not being able to "downgrade" a player from PLY to TWF, or PWF to GRN, is definitively unrealistic.

And, I've said on here several times and will continue to preach it: it's a video game. If we want to "abuse" a customization option to "cheat", who cares? EA shouldn't be policing how we play the game. Their job is to make it as realistic as possible, then allow us as much customization as possible within that framework.
We should be allowed to make CPU-CPU trades, force retirements, edit draft classes, edit player stats (my character in Franchise mode was created to reflect my Be A Pro from NHL 12, but my CHL stats were significantly better than the underwhelming stats he simulated prior to entering the draft in my Franchise mode; I really don't see why I'm not allowed to fix that).

Greater customization would allow us to make the game *more* realistic, by having guys retire at the right time (rather than a Hall of Famer hanging on for 2-3 years in the AHL), or forcing trades that happen in real life that the game thinks is unrealistic (and that don't involved our team)... and if it makes us happy to "abuse" that customization, well... it's a video game. That's the whole entire point.

And, of course, if "realism" is all that matters, then not being able to edit position is still mind-bogglingly stupid. All left-handed defenders should be listed as LD, with RD as a secondary position; I should be able to fix that when I see a CPU-generated prospect that is wrong. If a player I draft and develops spends 12 years at RW, he shouldn't be listed as LW just because he played LW one season in juniors over a decade ago. Goalies shouldn't have secondary positions, and I should be able to fix that when I see it.

Message 3 of 7 (380 Views)

★★ Pro

@SchulzEricT I could go on for hours about what I would add or change about franchise mode, but I do think think customization is one of the better fixes. I personally want this mode to be as realistic and challenging as possible but I do know that people also want to try and build super teams and win as many cups as possible and that's ok too. I was really happy they put in different options for draft classes as that was one of my biggest complaints of NHL19 and 20. In the early goings this year with the addition of the trade deadline I find that cpu GM's are worse than ever and that is ruining the experience. Being able to force/veto trades, adding sliders for cpu trading/signings as well as being able to edit certain things would all go a long way to improving the mode.

Message 4 of 7 (366 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Beauts90 They took out so much realism from this game mode. They ruined it, along with BAP. The AI GM’s are so brain dead and make such huge lopsided trades it doesn’t even make sense. It makes the game pointless.
The severe lack of customizability makes the game mode an utter disappointment.
Still no answers yet either about trade values, inability to edit players, the braindead AI GM logic, etc.
Message 5 of 7 (326 Views)

★★★ Guide
@SkylerJames13 Regrettably downloaded the latest update just to try out the game again and give it another shot... created an expansion team, but played as Columbus.
Still can’t edit player types, positions etc. Going on 2 months soon since release and still an important feature is missing.
I mean, nhl 22 is going to be coming out roughly 10ish months from now. Is it going to be the same garbage game? Cus there’s going to be a point where devs stop addressing issues in this game. And they’ve addressed, what, two or three total issues combined for BAP/FM? And yet the game mode are still unplayable..
waiting for EA to fix their game is like waiting on hold with your credit card company or phone company. Because even after waiting forever, they don’t do anything about it or help you
Message 6 of 7 (300 Views)

★★★ Guide
@SkylerJames13 3 months and we still can’t do this simple thing that they took out for stupid unknown reasons
Message 7 of 7 (250 Views)