Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] "Examine water" not working

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.52.100.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to a lake or pond and click "Examine water"."
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims examines water but no information shows up.
What do you expect to see? I click "Examine water", my Sims inspects the lake/pond, and a pop up appears to give me information about the fish in the lake/pond.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This only started for me after the latest update. I was able to use the "examine water" feature successfully once, and then after that it hasn't worked since. I am able to catch fish though, so at least that still works. Anyone else having this problem?  

Message 1 of 8 (1,762 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] "Examine water" not working

[ Edited ]
Hero

Sims can now see their recorded findings in the Notification Wall when performing “Examine Water Thoughtfully” on the Fishing Board.

Fixed in Patch 1.59.73

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 8 of 8 (1,222 Views)

All Replies

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (1,703 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

We've had trouble reproducing this one, could anyone share a save file? Thanks so much for the help! http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 3 of 8 (1,658 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi SimsGuruNick, I have a file of a savegame which shows the same problem. I've uploaded it here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HHhuiGC_O0L0ej2FACHQ6UqjWIX8tiMm 

Message 4 of 8 (1,598 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] "Examine water" not working

★ Apprentice
@crinrictdisaceter My sim fishes a lot and I have not ever got “examine water” to work for me.
Message 5 of 8 (1,545 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

There are two different "Examine water" interactions. One triggers a notebook entry tns while the other tells you to try again later if your fishing skill is low (no message if you succeed - just a hidden commodity getting reset).

Message 6 of 8 (1,536 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I have the same issue, although "Examine Water" or "Examine Water Thoughtfully" (when focused) doesn't always fail, it does seem to fail most often when my sim already has the available fish in their notebook. So, if you learned about the fish from another fisherman or already caught the different types of fish in that spot, it seems to fail most of the time. It feels like a 100% failure if you use the same fishing spot every day - in one save where my lot has a fishing spot right next to the house, my low level fishing skill sim learned about all the fish there from his level 10 fishing skill partner through discussion. It's fairly annoying, because the interaction takes so long, and you don't even get a default message. The action completes, and the sim just stands there.

My level 10 fisherwoman never gets any response, as she's learned about every fish already. It would be nice if there were some default messages about the available fish like there used to be (fish here prefer medium fish as bait, etc). As it is now, the interaction takes so long and it's wasted time. Could be related - every single entry in my notebook says the fish "can be caught without bait". I don't see any info about preference of bait until you catch something, then it lists what you caught it with. So there's something missing or being skipped in the information process for fish.

@SimGuruNick - I've uploaded a save for you to see the issue. In this file, Tane has level 6 fishing skill; Sefina has level 10 fishing skill. They are standing next to a fishing spot. Queue "Examine Water Thoughtfully" for each Sim. Sefina will run through the animation and then just stand there, no message about the fish. Nothing happened 100% of the time I tried. Tane will run through the animation and occasionally return information about the Kissing Gourami. Action failed about 50% of the time. 

Spoiler
Message 7 of 8 (1,522 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Sims can now see their recorded findings in the Notification Wall when performing “Examine Water Thoughtfully” on the Fishing Board.

Fixed in Patch 1.59.73

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 8 (1,223 Views)