[FIXED] Updating video card driver causes options to reset

by GothicSimmer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Updating video card driver causes options to reset

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

It seems like in The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval, updating your video card driver resets some options in The Sims 4. Switching computers or even changing video cards has the same effect. It can be a pain but at least it doesn't reset everything like it did with The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval.

When I updated my NVIDIA driver, Vertical Sync, The Sims 3 Camera, and Traditional Social Menu were disabled although I had them enabled previously. Also Tutorials were enabled despite being disabled. I believe this may existed since TS4's release. However, some options in The Sims 4 are not affected like Aging, No Autonomy for selected Sim, and Windowed Mode.

I think the reason some options reset is when the lastdeivce in Options.ini happens to be different, it checks the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files and resets the Graphics options to the default according to the two files but it's not coded right so game settings also revert to defaults. Usually this is fine when you change computers or change video cards but the game doesn't differentiate driver versions so even updating the driver resets some TS4 options like the ones I've mentioned above.

Message 1 of 10 (2,908 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Updating video card driver causes options to reset

Hero

Hi @GothicSimmer @Phantomlover1717 @JasonVega2 @RolandasR1

According to my information, this should actually be fixed now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (3,274 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

That is normal and not a bug. Each time you change video, the game should reset everything, so you could adjust from the beginning. The game doesn't know how good it will be for you, so it sets everything to minimal, and you could play around with the settings.

Message 2 of 10 (2,897 Views)

Hero

Also believe that's how the game was designed cause as you said, it was the same for Sims 3.

I've nonetheless forwarded this to see if it can be changed (actually before you posted this cause it was starting to really bug me too) but I won't add it to the list.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 10 (2,891 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

This is something that has bothered me with all the TSM, Sims 3, and 4. I can understand that the graphics settings might need to be reset, but the camera capture settings, edge scrolling, horizontal/vertical flip - and (at least in the case of the Sims 3) - Sims lifespan, seasons settings, and population control settings? Really? How does your graphics settings *possibly* affect whether you have edge scrolling turned on, the length your movie capture settings, or your Sims' lifespan?

Message 4 of 10 (2,883 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have the same thing, thought it was normal...
It resets the resolution, The Sims 3 mouse.

Edit: had to update just now. It starts in windowed mode, I never play in windowed mode. 
And it turned the tutorial back on. The Sims 3 mouse is off. And the resolution is one size smaller.

I remember having the same with The Sims 3, mainly with the resolution, that got so much smaller. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 5 of 10 (2,874 Views)

★ Guide

@Phantomlover1717 wrote:

Have the same thing, thought it was normal...
It resets the resolution, The Sims 3 mouse.

Edit: had to update just now. It starts in windowed mode, I never play in windowed mode. 
And it turned the tutorial back on. The Sims 3 mouse is off. And the resolution is one size smaller.

I remember having the same with The Sims 3, mainly with the resolution, that got so much smaller. 

I had the same symptoms except being on Windowed mode probably because I was on Windowed mode when I reported this. I might test this on full screen when a new driver is released.

The Sims 3 is more painful where in addition to resetting resolution to 1024x768 (and defaulting to full screen) and graphics settings, every single setting (Aging, camera, Memories, Lessons, etc.) would be reset to defaults.

Message 6 of 10 (2,837 Views)

Hero

Hi @GothicSimmer @Phantomlover1717 @JasonVega2 @RolandasR1

According to my information, this should actually be fixed now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 10 (3,275 Views)

For me it is! Party hat

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 8 of 10 (2,805 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Tested this one today and it is definitely working correctly now. Large smile

Message 9 of 10 (2,781 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Unfortunately this seems to be an issue again. I just replaced my graphics card and now the Sims 4 is starting in windowed mode instead of windowed full screen, turned tutorials back on, etc etc, and it keeps reverting every time I boot up the game. As some of the graphics settings require restarting the game, it then undoes all the changes, and turns into an endless loop of frustration. Any idea how I can fix this? Is there something I can do with my drivers? I would really like to be able to set my graphics settings correctly and not have the game revert them to default every time I boot the game up. 

Edit - deleting my options.ini folder seems to have fixed the problem and I can edit my settings again. 

Message 10 of 10 (2,486 Views)