[FIXED] Trees display "winter" shadows in summer, without leaves

by bsozz

Original Post

Re: Trees display "winter" shadows in summer, without leaves.

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@SimQARobo  has there been any progress on this bug? It's been two weeks and I was just curious. I haven't been playing because I'm concerned this might be one those bugs that can't be fixed on existing saves.

Message 41 of 71 (1,307 Views)

EA Sims Team

@manzana0807

I'm not allowed to say if or when the issue will be resolved.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 42 of 71 (1,290 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I've talked to 8 people on Twitter who have the same bug, all of us have an AMD GPU.

Message 43 of 71 (1,201 Views)

★★★★ Pro
Has anyone informed AMD about the problem? Perhaps they can or even must fix it in a driver update.
Message 44 of 71 (1,188 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

This is not AMD's problem. This is something that Maxis caused with the Seasons patch and they need to fix it.

To me this is no different than other bugs over the years that have affected different cards and chipsets. The one I can think of most recently is a problem with the Backyard Stuff slide after it was released. I can't remember the exact bug, but I remember reading that it affected certain Intel chipsets. Maxis fixed it.

I can just about guarantee you that all of us with this bug are probably on different drivers anyway. In my experience over the years, upgrading drivers sometimes causes problems that didn't exist before. I know in my case that every newer AMD driver than the one I'm on causes my GPU to crash.

It's pretty ridiculous that I can play Fallout 4, a notoriously poorly optimized game, on high-ultra settings, and have no problems. Whereas, Sims 4, and its increasingly bad bugs on top of its poor optimization is enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on this game over the last nearly thirteen years and I've never regretted it till recently. I've always been able to tolerate the bugs, but I was so excited for Seasons, and I've hardly played it at all.

The response that @SimQARobo gave me really upset me. I've spent my entire working life with the public and I would never imply to a customer that a problem they have may never be resolved. I can understand not being able to provide an ETA on a fix for a problem, but implying it may never be fixed is disheartening and as a customer who's invested a lot in this franchise I felt like I was just being brushed off.

I'm sorry to write something so long and get so emotional, but I'm just really unhappy with the state of Sims 4 right now. I feel like if the Game Changers were complaining about this it would have already been fixed by now. I'm just beyond frustrated.

Message 45 of 71 (1,182 Views)

★★ Guide
Most of us have invested a lot of money in this game and just want it to work as expected; the "if or when" response felt kind of dismissive. Being primarily a builder, I take a lot of TS4 screenshots and I can definitely confirm that the AMD shadow issue started with this patch: UPDATE: 07/31/2018 - PC 1.45.62.1020/ Mac 1.45.62.1220.
Message 46 of 71 (1,136 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I'm 100% with you guys. I work for a company that develops business management software and my response to the last official word from EA was the same as yours. I can't imagine acknowledging an issue such as this and then offering no firm answers to my customers as to how or when or if it will be fixed.

It's unacceptable.

Message 47 of 71 (1,116 Views)

★★ Pro

Definitely unacceptable.

When you're like me and have spent 20+ years working with the public and have always been taught not to respond in such a manner, it's a bit mind-boggling to see a large corporation like EA/Maxis evidently instructing their employees to respond to customers so dismissively. Obviously they're not concerned with their reputation, when they should be. I tried so hard not to lose my temper, but that was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I know if I ever responded to a customer that way I'd have some explaining to do to my superiors. It was just really disrespectful. And for me, it was the sign I needed to wise up and stop throwing money at this game.

Message 48 of 71 (1,104 Views)

★★ Novice

Are you serious?? 

Message 49 of 71 (1,097 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Trees display "winter" shadows in summer, without leaves

★★ Guide

@SimQARobo  While it isn't something that directly affects gameplay, it definitely detracts from the overall game experience, breaking immersion and ruining screenshots (especially if you are a builder). I'm very active on Twitter, and I know there are more people affected by this issue than the 15 people who have clicked Me Too on this thread - I've been doing my best to direct them here. Since it was introduced in this patch: UPDATE: 07/31/2018 - PC 1.45.62.1020/ Mac 1.45.62.1220 and seems to only be affecting AMD GPUs utilizing different driver versions- is there anything more that can we do to help you and your team facilitate a fix for this bug? 

Message 50 of 71 (1,006 Views)