Re: [OPEN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

by Nighteyes420

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Splicing can produce a new harvestable, but there's supposed to be a lower chance that it does this. This is by design. For example, grafting a rose to a grape for bonsai buds will have the plant produce roses OR grapes OR bonsai buds, with the bonsai buds having the lowest chance.

So if you're not seeing the new harvestable, I think it might just be a case of bad luck Standard smile

EDIT (crin): 

If you're unhappy with the design choice, please use this threads to voice your concerns

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943341/feedback-updated-gardening-system/p1
Evolving too slow and grafted plants not happening after gardening patch
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/942707/evolving-too-slow-and-grafted-plants-not-happening...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 21 of 82 (24,621 Views)

Hero

Thank you Nick.

I'm going to mark this one as By Design for now.

For everyone not happy with this, I encourage you to create a feedback thread at the officials or the AHQ Game Information forum.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 22 of 82 (6,789 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@SimGuruNick wrote:

Splicing can produce a new harvestable, but there's supposed to be a lower chance that it does this. This is by design. For example, grafting a rose to a grape for bonsai buds will have the plant produce roses OR grapes OR bonsai buds, with the bonsai buds having the lowest chance.

So if you're not seeing the new harvestable, I think it might just be a case of bad luck Standard smile

My issue with this change is it also lowers the change of getting other things that depend on having one of the spliced harvestables.

---
Bird of Paradise = Chrysanthemum + Tulip
Bonsai Buds = Daisy + Strawberry
Bonsai Buds = Grapes + Rose
Cowplant Berry = Snapdragon + Dragonfruit
Death Flower = Orchid + Pomegranate
Dragonfruit = Strawberry + Snapdragonf
Grapes = Bluebells + Strawberry
Orchid = Lily + Snapdragon
Parsley = Basil + Sage
Plantain = Lemon * Pear
Pomegranate = Apple + Cherry

---

I like the five step evolution idea in the upgraded gardening system but thought it was supposed to make things easier.
Not happening and leads to frustration.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 23 of 82 (6,782 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@EuphorialQueen Rare seed packets, available in Build/Buy, were added to help with this. Standard smile

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 24 of 82 (6,771 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@SimGuruNick wrote:

@EuphorialQueen Rare seed packets, available in Build/Buy, were added to help with this. Standard smile

I understand the intent of the rare packets. Heart I am grateful they are available. Getting ONE Bonsai Bud /maybe/ for 250 simoleons or worse paying 1000 simoleons for two magic beans .. ?
I love this game and I am not going anywhere. I just don't want it to be impossible to complete certain goals within the limits set by the game.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 25 of 82 (6,758 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@SimGuruNick wrote:

@SimGuruNickCan you explain why you decided to change this? Just to make it more difficult? Also why was this not spoken about when describing the gardening changes? I don't really see the benefit in turning splicing into a grind or making your sims pay for the seed packets (unless you knew what you were getting like in real life).  It definitely hasn't made it more enjoyable for me - it's just turned gardening (which I found fun) into a horrible grind for a 5% chance of getting a dragon fruit or orchid XD and don't I feel pathetic for even caring about this Devil

Message 26 of 82 (6,643 Views)

Re: [BY DESIGN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

★★★★★ Apprentice

I spliced cherries on apples. Only got cherries and apples even though this recipe is supposed to unlock pomegranates. The type of plant type was spliced, apples, cherries and pomegranates though. Same happened with snapdragons and  strawberries but for this one I got one cowplant, not sure if it was from the plant or if I got it while fishing.

Message 27 of 82 (6,609 Views)

Re: [BY DESIGN] Splicing doesn't produce new harvestable

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@SimGuruNickCould you please clarify re: splicing new harvestables - when you create the plant, is it a chance for a new fruit/flower to be produced daily, or is it just once per plant?

Eg. If I graft Strawberries to Snapdragon to try for Dragon Fruit, do I have a low chance of producing a dragon fruit each day? Or is it one and done, this plant produces Strawberries/Snapdragons, please try again with a new plant?

ETA: And if it is a daily chance, would it be better to leave the plant un-harvested across several days, to avoid the daily reset on produce from affecting it?

I'm sorry if this is just me failing to understand something obvious, but I'm very confused. I really think further clarification added to the Lessons would be a great idea.

Message 28 of 82 (6,605 Views)

★★ Novice

Can you please share on how to have better luck then?

I've been playing 2 ingame sims weeks and haven't got a single spliced harvestable. 

Is there a better chance if we wait sims days for more harvestables to be on the plant or is it luck overall?

I'm honestly not a fan of this change purely because it's turned gardening into a grind now instead of fun. Love all the other changes though Standard smile 

Message 29 of 82 (6,550 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Great for you to finally let us know about this nerf. 

I am so glad my garden was super well established before this last patch/expansion as they sure did nerf garden splicing. And worse they did it with zero communication. Greenhouses are now mandatory for year round profit as most plants only produce one season a year yet require 3 seasons worth of care, splicing is a bad joke, and well seed packets are random and the best way to get rare seeds. This is by design but very annoying making gardening less fun. This isn't counting the forever watering/weeding/spraying for bugs bug, the can't buy the rare seed packets bug or the disappearing scarecrow bug. I used to enjoy gardening and every non-apartment living sims family had one but at this time I am frustrated with it.

This lack of communication added to lack of communication on other areas of the game like say cheats, sure is frustrating. Nerfs aren't fun, but sometimes needed, but surprise nerfs they tell use about a week or so later, after we spend time trying to fix (clearing cache files, repairing the game, looking for fixes on the forums and the like) the intended nerf thinking it is a bug, that is not acceptable. Some goes with the cheats nerf.

The way they handled communication for  the last few patches and Seasons is very irritating to say the least. Now at least we know and can move on. Sure wish they put this is the patch notes. 3 or 4 sentences would have saved everyone some time. I am not happy with how this information was released.

Message 30 of 82 (6,523 Views)