Re: New Skintones Don't Work With Genetics (CAS or in-game)

by NhimSim

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Skintones Don't Work With Genetics (CAS or in-game)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.57.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? eco lifestyle, discover university, get famous, seasons, cats and dogs, city living, get together, get to work; realm of magic, strangerville, jungle adventure, vampires, dine out; nifty knitting, tiny living; moschino, laundry day, toddler, vintage glamour, romantic garden, movie hangout, spooky, perfect patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? create a pair of sims with different skintones, using some of the skintones added in today's patch. for me this occurred specifically with cool skintone that is 4 down 6 across in the 'cool' section. next play with genetics and create a child from this pair of sims, clicking the dice to randomize a child between them.
What happens when the bug occurs? the skintone that I specified above never gets rolled for the child sim if that parent is paired with a sim who has a different skintone.
What do you expect to see? I expect, when randomizing a child repeatedly, that both parents' skintones will show up at least once, but more reasonably a roughly even number of times.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. skintone patch (dec 7 2020)

Tested on a clean save in addition to the one I actually play in. I've primarily tested this in CAS because it's much faster than going through multiple pregnancies in-game, but after two rounds of in-game triplets without the noted skintone showing up, I have a suspicion this bug persists in-game as well. This bug does not occur if the two parents have the same skintone, nor does it occur if you're randomizing a child with only one parent.

I don't really have the time/energy to test for all the skintones but this is really something that should have been addressed before release. Also I can't really say for how many skintones this bug persists, or if I'm just very unlucky.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 22 (6,006 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Skintones Don't Work With Genetics (CAS or in-game)

Hero

Hello Simmers,

We have an important update for you to address the issues with Genetics, in which skin tones were not being applied appropriately. Thank you for your reports and assistance in tracking down these issues.

-SimGuruGnome

Fixed in Patch 1.69.59/ 1.36

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 22 of 22 (4,492 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@SerenaBeanieHaving the same issue in vanilla-game [no mods]. With one parent being very dark-skinned and one being very light-skinned the children come out favouring the light spectrum of the skin tones. Very few could be described as a mid-tone of the two and none favoured the darker spectrum

EDIT: I wanted to add a video clip showing the problem but the forum doesn't seem to allow it.

Message 2 of 22 (5,750 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Hello @NhimSim 

It would be great if you could share the video file with me, if you are willing to share instructions are here.

There are different options of sharing files mentioned in the link above. Please feel free to DM me.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 3 of 22 (5,651 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Here's the link [I hope it works] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OJsyrwV1p57PGcWQez_d2rbXYViMlxpn/view?usp=sharing

This was a new attempt with the parents having the lightest and the darkest neutral skin tone. The kids turned out all having the same very light skin tone

Message 4 of 22 (5,578 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Skintones Don't Work With Genetics (CAS or in-game)

★★★★ Apprentice

girl.pngdadMom

Dad, Mom and daughter

Message 5 of 22 (5,518 Views)

★ Guide

I tested this with various Sims of different skin color (saved with "old" skin colors and new created with "new" ones). I changed the places between mom and dad or mom/mom and dad/dad. I had NEVER a dark toned child! Sim genetics are broken for darker skin tones.

Message 6 of 22 (5,454 Views)

★★ Novice

I asked about this problem on twitter. https://twitter.com/heyob32/status/1336081127518433280

Although the Sims account said that a middle skin tone is picked, I am having a problem where it appeared only the lighter tone was working in CAS. I generated a child for a couple twenty times and each time the skin tone came out very light, even though the father had a dark, neutral skintone. Other replies to my tweet show that the problem is showing up in other games and different combinations of parents and skin tones.

Message 7 of 22 (5,368 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I tested in CAS with all undertones.  Warm gave me a middle-ish (but on the lighter side) tone for the offspring - but it was the same exact skintone, no matter how many times I tried it.  Both Neutral and Cool used the same skintone as the lighter skinned parent with every single attempt.

Message 8 of 22 (5,243 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I'm having the same issue!

Another problem is when you play genetics having a Sim with ligther skin and other with darker skin. The lighter skin will take over and you will be unable to have kids with darker tons.

I tested and that was the result I had using these 2 Sims.

Two of the kids have something between, but not darker than that.

The variety of skins we have are very limited for wheel of color I used on them both...

family.jpg

Message 9 of 22 (5,180 Views)

Skin Tone Error

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.57.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Get to Work, Seasons
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Uncertain. In my save, a Sim is pregnant with twins in a household that currently has 6 members. I have been able to reproduce this by loading a save from earlier in this Sim's pregnancy.
What happens when the bug occurs? The twins are born. The first born twin looks normal, but the second has bright red skin in his portrait. However, as a Baby, he looks normal, with the same skin tone his twin has; the redness is only in the portrait. On aging up to Toddler, however, the child with the red portrait now has red skin.
What do you expect to see? I expect the child to have a skin tone more like his parents and siblings, not bright red.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

His twin and his older brother both have expected skin tones; all 3 children were conceived and born after the skin tone update, and only the one has this issue.

Edit: Pictures of the relevant Sims.

Dad (Cameron Fletcher)Mom

The parents.

Older Brother

The older brother.

glitch babies.png

The twins as babies. Note that one (the twin in the pink bassinet) is red in his portrait but not in-game.

First TwinSecond Twin

And... the twins as toddlers.

Message 10 of 22 (4,717 Views)