Re: [OPEN] Sims sit somewhere else or stand instead of eating at table

by ShellSh0ck

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

The behavior around eating desperately needs an overhaul.  Dining table objects need to be updated with some kind of "pull" to the sims to go sit at the nearest one when they have a serving of food.  As it is, sims either stand around by the fridge/food stall or they go all the way across the house and up the stairs so they can sit wherever another sim is, even if that sim is asleep. 

The behavior priority is clearly in no way based on convenience/distance/logic but is 100% motivated by "Where is the nearest sim?"  That makes absolutely no sense and wastes tremendous amounts of game time, especially in multi-story mansions.

If I have to choose between eating with another person or eating at a table, I will go sit alone at a table, not grab my salad and go upstairs to sit in the room with someone who's playing a computer game.  Maybe if the sim has the Outgoing personality trait they can be this codependent about eating, but otherwise, just SIT THEM DOWN AT THE NEAREST EATING SURFACE please.

Message 71 of 120 (1,880 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

For me it also happens that sims will constantly be moving from chair to chair. Doesnt bother me if they are in their house, but it also happens on cafe/bar/restaurant lots and it's annoying

Message 72 of 120 (1,816 Views)

★ Guide

Replying here because the problem got worse after the newest patch (Knitting expansion update). Usually my sims relocated a bit after taking food from the fridge but now they just stay in front of it, blocking anyone else from getting food unless I tell them to move somewhere. It feels random, sometimes some of my sims sit down nicely (even direct themselves to the table even if they are on the other side of the house) and some just stay and block the fridge. Haven't taken notes yet if they are always same ones that keep standing or if there is any "logic" behind this.

So yeah, when you are directing 6 sims to eat all together after they have woken up in the morning and they just randomly block anyone else from the fridge, it get REALLY annoying fast to tell them all one by one to sit on the table while others are waving their hands in the kitchen and yelling that they can't reach (or then just cancelling the whole thing on their way because of this).

Message 73 of 120 (1,748 Views)

★★ Guide

This has gotten worse for me recently too. 

Message 74 of 120 (1,716 Views)

Champion

I’m not 100% sure about this but I think it’s related to food that has the other bug where it never finishes getting eaten and/or has no expiration. It seems like my Sim just stands right in front of the fridge not letting anyone else eat (and taking forever to eat himself) almost every time when he grabs bugged leftovers, but only occasionally with working leftovers.

Although I’m not actually sure which is cause and which effect here. Or if they’re both effects of something else.

And he still rarely chooses the table, even when he does go sit down - usually walks past the table to the couch to watch tv or the stairs to go up and sit on a bed... once he walked past both table and couch to stand in the middle of the bathroom next to the dirty litterbox and eat. He did have cleaning the litter box queued up for next, but they weren’t simultaneous nor could he do it while holding a plate, apparently. So he passed table and couch to eat in the bathroom, then instead of washing his plate in the sink right next to him, or putting it down on the counter, any of the tables in the nearby living room, or taking it back to the kitchen, he went over to the office to put it down on the desk. Then returned to the bathroom to actually clean the litter box.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 75 of 120 (1,692 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Sozki Same here! I never had this problem before and now suddenly my Sims refuse to sit down. I manually need to tell them to do so otherwise they block the way to the fridge and no one else can grab food.
Message 76 of 120 (1,679 Views)

★★ Apprentice
For me it's always that one Sim will stand in front of the fridge to eat, then the other Sims can't get food, really frustrating when you're trying to get all my kids up for school. They will usually sit if I tell them to sit after they pick up the food, although sometimes then they will put the food down first. Doesn't happen everytime, can't see any obvios trigger
Message 77 of 120 (1,636 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Fridge blocking is real.   I've had my Sim autonomously eat Cowplant cake because another sim was standing in front of the fridge eating.

Do you hear me EA??? SIMS ARE DYING BECAUSE OF FRIDGE HOGS!!!    THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

Definitely a significant spike in it's occurrence recently.

Message 78 of 120 (1,602 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Since the patch my sim will not sit down to eat anymore as well.Please fix this game devs! My sims keep cooking and won't sit down and eat. Maybe some great mod creator has some amazing fix out there. I just want to play my game without a ton of issues.

Message 79 of 120 (1,537 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yep. Ever since the "Knitting" patch my sims stand in front of the fridge eating. I can't believe it's back again. And people used to complain about how "buggy" Sims 3 was.

Message 80 of 120 (1,500 Views)