by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims not visible to player teleport /abort interactions

[ Edited ]

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions/packs/kits officially released as of July 21, 2021 except for Dream Home Decorator.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? To my mind, you should see it as soon as you begin to play.
What happens when the bug occurs? Describing as best I can, imagine a house with two levels. Your sim is on the first, and you go upstairs and ask them "Go here." 1. If you wait on that upper floor for the sim to appear at the top of the stairs, an unusual length of time will pass and they will finally appear on the spot to which you asked them to go. 2. If you go back to the first level after waiting but before they spontaneously appear, they will have gone to the bottom of the stairs and, as soon as you have them in view, they will begin ascending. 3. If you issue the request and then return to the first floor and have them in view, they will proceed as normal. Other notes: If they are visible to the player the entire time, they will proceed upstairs as normal. I've watched carefully since playing yesterday and, generally speaking, after the latest update, sims may be having issues completing certain actions if they are not visible to the player; e.g., if they are on the second floor and you tell them to go do something on their PC and then go to another floor of the home, then return to them after an unusual length of time, they will just be sitting down at the PC: in other words, they seem to begin only the initial action (going to the stairs, going to the computer) but do not enter into the next, different animation to complete fully the task you've requested. They begin walking, for instance, but don't enter into whatever they must do next, like ascending a staircase or sitting down to work at a PC. Hope I've explained adequately. P.S. Did a game repair, and tested my sims at another sim's house. The issue remains.
What do you expect to see? I'd expect sims to complete all actions involved in completing a task, even while invisible to the player's view.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I updated the game, if that's what you mean by a patch or change. I have the latest official update, released today or yesterday.

Regarding mods, I have made one-time use of one of them, on several occasions, to return sims to a career level before the career branch, and then have immediately removed/deleted the mod in question. Also, if the above information is not sufficient, all apologies and I can update/provide further info as requested; and thank you for any time and effort in dealing with this.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title to fit, added tag

Message 1 of 192 (7,867 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My sims won’t go up or down the stairs. They just teleport there!

[ Edited ]
Hero

• Sims teleporting from floor to floor and avoiding using the actual stairs? Not a marvel of modern science fiction novels, but should be a problem that no longer occurs after this update.

Fixed in Patch 1.78.58/1.45

If anyone still has this issue, please make a new thread, if it's jumpy animations still use this thread instead: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Jumpy-Animation-Bug-After-Newest-Patch/td-p/6876628

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 176 of 192 (4,099 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sims won't complete action if not visible to player

Hero
@goofylittlerhino I tested this with cooking food. Was zoomed on the upper floor and had my Sim make a salad .. which she did.

Are you switching Sims when you do that ? Do the interactions just drop from queue for you or are they still in the queue but nothing happens ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 192 (7,840 Views)

★★ Apprentice

happening to me too, i sent one of my sims to bed which is on the second floor and then focused on her mom who was on the first floor and when i went to go check on the sim i sent to bed, she was still walking up the stairs ten sim minutes later.

Message 3 of 192 (7,810 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm also having this issue. I will task my sim with something, move to another sim for a bit, go back to the first sim and they will only just start doing what i tasked them to do or will have completely ignored my task and do something on their own. 

Message 4 of 192 (7,789 Views)

To others who have described the same issue: You're describing exactly and precisely what I'm seeing.

To crinrict: I have seen your name many times when I search for answers here, and it is an honor to interact with you!

To begin with, I tried your test -- had a sim make garden salad downstairs while I remained upstairs. There was an unusually long gap of time before the money was subtracted for the cooking. My sims are in Riverside Roost; it should not have taken the sim that long to just descend the stairs and go into a kitchen almost directly opposite.

There were other delays during the cooking, but I can't tell whether they were part of the issue that I and others are describing.

At your discretion, you might want to test it with simply having them go up a staircase. Position a sim at some distance from the stairs, then switch your view to upstairs and ask the sim to come to a spot on the upper floor. See if s/he takes unusually long to get there and, in fact, ends up teleporting there, to wit. (I see some reports here of unusual "teleporting"; this may be the same Issue, but I'm unsure.)

Added note: This may not affect their own autonomous actions. My one little guy went downstairs to read at one point (bookworm) and when I went down about 15 minutes later, their time, he was placidly sitting at the table, reading the book.

The "glitch" never seems to affect a sim if you can see them; at one point, I told one sim to come upstairs and watched down the stairwell FROM the second floor. He ascended with no problem.

Answering your questions, the interactions don't drop from the queue, and to my knowledge, I don't switch sims. I say that not because I paid strict attention but because I find it hard to believe I immediately switch sims so often like that, LOL. But if you want me to test anything or try anything, I certainly can.

P.S. You replied fast!

Message 5 of 192 (7,788 Views)

Hero
@goofylittlerhino Nope, can't duplicate it on my save but it can depend on many factors.

I did see them teleporting more than usual

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 192 (7,776 Views)

I'm confused by this response. Isn't that the issue in question? In other words, you asked a sim to go to a spot and they teleported there?

I often have trouble following people online and I may be misunderstanding.

Also, thank you for your replies and your help.

Message 7 of 192 (7,766 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
@goofylittlerhino I haven't seen any teleporting on stairs. I saw it once when I asked my Sim to go to a place.

The way I understood your issue it's about that it takes forever for them to go from A to B and interactions are often not done by the Sims at all.

If it's about teleporting, there's an older thread on this here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Jumpy-Animations-Sims-teleport/td-p/6876628/jump-to/first... .. it's been an issue since forever: they often teleport back and forth. That's what I'm seeing.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 192 (7,761 Views)

Is it okay -- and is it even possible? -- to show you what's going on?

Using the record function in the game, I made a video.avi. It is 1 minute 28 seconds.

It's in a new game. (I've been testing all sorts of things, and this is happening everywhere.)

(Description: Two sims are living in Cypress Terrace, and I ask the red-haired guy to go upstairs and then I go upstairs and wait for him. After a long delay, he appears where I asked him to go. I go back down a floor and ask him to come down. After a long delay, he appears where I asked him to go. I pivot so I can see down the stairwell and ask him to come upstairs. He comes up normally.)

Simply offering this in case it's helpful.

Message 9 of 192 (7,742 Views)

Hero
@goofylittlerhino Sure, just upload to youtube, google or one drive (videos uploaded are too small) and just link.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 192 (7,734 Views)