Re: Sims lose their first and last names s/p 7.20.2021 patch

by MickCasanova

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Sims lose their first and last names

★★★★ Guide

I have over 800 Sims in my main save file and like 30 of them have had their names removed. I have a family of 8 that was created in 2015 or 2016. All of their names were removed, except for one Sim's first name (I changed his first name like a year ago).

Message 11 of 98 (2,166 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have the same thing happening when i was in CAS changing the clothing of some of my sims (not the ones i play on a regulary basis, sometimes on rotation) in the save game i always play. I did all this by going to Manage Households. Some were in the favorites category, some were not.

I couldn't save the family to my gallery because of the missing first name. After adding the name saving was possible again. Had to think hard for some sims, because i couldn't remember the first name anymore Standard smile

I haven't played the actual game yet, because i always update some of my sims clothing and houses with the new stuff.

This happened after the latest game patch and the installing of Country Living. Also, i have no mods.

Message 12 of 98 (2,134 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@mauvejinjo I've experienced this as well. It doesn't require a relationship to the family you load either, I've loaded one family and had multiple families with no relationships at all to the one I loaded lose their first names, last names, or in some cases both names.

This also happens in a brand new neighborhood I just created (after thinking my old one somehow became corrupted). Additionally, it occurs without any mods or CC.
Message 13 of 98 (2,094 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello

I have a problem with townies' babies being born with surnames. I have checked all of the townies that I'm not playing, and they still have their surnames.

Message 14 of 98 (2,071 Views)

★ Apprentice
@mauvejinjo The same happens to me. The names or surnames disappear. Any solution?
Message 15 of 98 (1,996 Views)

★★★ Novice

There are none for me I have the same problems, the landgraabs or the townies get a kid, no last name choosen. I get a kid I have to manually type first AND last name

Message 16 of 98 (1,972 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Sorry in advance for a long post, but I seem to have found a workaround (and possible preventative fix, though it won't restore names already wiped out in a save game). Disclaimer - for people with large neighborhoods of people, it will require some bookkeeping...

I would recommend using the MCCC mod for this step at least, since using the "Relationships -> Add Relationship" interaction will show you a dialog with ALL sims in your world, where you can see if their names were wiped out.

Here are the steps:
1. Load your save game with names hopefully still there
2. Load a household
3. Using MCCC as above, click a sim and choose Relationships -> Add Relationship
4. Scroll through the whole list and write down sims that are missing their names
5. Repeat this a few times by quitting to Main Menu (WITHOUT SAVING!) and then reloading your save, and choosing a new household. This is because it seems a little random as to which households' names are affected, so doing it this way will sort of filter and catch them all.
6. Once you have your master list, load your save game again to begin the prevention.
7. For EACH AND EVERY family with a member whose name was wiped, you will need to Edit that family FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD (i.e. without loading a household, so you don't clobber the names) and change the affected Sims' names. For safety, I just changed every Sim name in each family. It did not seem to require changing the last name... just changing the first works. All I did was add a bunch of capital Z's to the end of the name so it's obvious what I added.
8. Save your family in the Household editor, rinse and repeat for ALL the rest of your families that had the issue.
9. Once you've successfully edited all your affected families' names, SAVE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD GAME.
10. This may not be required, but I did it anyway... Quit to Main Menu and reload your game.
11. Now the "prevention" - go back through all those families again, and revert the names back to their original names by removing the Z's (or whatever you did to change them). Again, DO NOT load any households to play yet, do this from the Household Manager at the neighborhood level.
12. Once all names have been reverted back to their originals, SAVE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD GAME AGAIN.
13. Again this may not be required, but quit to main menu and reload your save game.
14. You should now be able to load a few random households and click Relationship -> Add Relationship on a sim and scan all the other households to verify that no more names got clobbered.
15. Once you're satisfied your Sims are safe, you are good to go - or so it seems.

I haven't tested this for an extended time, but it seems to work after an hour or 2 at least. Also, this won't prevent name clobbering for ancestry/dead sims since you can't edit them (that I'm aware of anyway), so unfortunately I have no real help for people with that version of this bug.

Hope this helps people while we wait for an official fix!
Message 17 of 98 (1,931 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

It's a whole lot simpler. From World View, of a given save, just change the names back in CAS and save the family. This bug only seems to affect games that were saved prior to the patch. Once the names of sims in the save have been edited and saved, upon return to that save, everything sticks as it should. Unfortunately, any and all saves prior to the patch will display the names of the original NPC they were changed from. This of course doesn't help much for people who have played a legacy game for years only to have it destroyed by an idiotic change.

Message 18 of 98 (1,918 Views)

★★★ Novice

It also affected my games I started after the patch

Message 19 of 98 (1,901 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I should preface by saying that I have yet to create an entirely new game in 1.77 as of yet, so I'm not sure what will happen. I will certainly keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 20 of 98 (1,897 Views)