Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims don't run autonomously over long distances anymore

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.375.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything up to and including High School Years
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Instruct a sim to "Go here" over a large distance OR go to a lot with Vendor stalls and wait for vendors to spawn and head to their stalls.
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims walks there at the normal pace
What do you expect to see? Sims autonomously choosing to run to their destination.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. High School Years expansion + Patch

I noticed that sims don't run (autonomously) anywhere anymore.

• Vendors arrive very late at their stalls (check Myshuno Meadows and wait for all vendors to spawn).
  • Traversing very large lots (Like VonHaunt estate) takes sim-hours.
  • Sims get "stuck" in conversation because a sim far away decides to "join" but they're walking very slowly. During this time conversation doesn't progress and you have to drop and restart your queued actions.

This isn't occurring just to household sims. I haven't seen any sim, in any world, across multiple saves (new and old) run since the patch+HSY update.

This is different from jogging, which is a directed action ("Jog here" doesn't seem to be working either, just the Go Jogging self interaction but that's different). Maybe both are related to the new "Walk" with phone animation that everyone loves.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 46 (7,378 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Sims don't run autonomously over long distances anymore

[ Edited ]
Hero

Sims will run while performing a Go Here interaction if the distance is long enough.
…and they aren’t lazy
…and do not currently have a buff that would prevent running..
Sims should also run from fires. Unless they don’t. Then they’ll probably just catch fire and run in place.

Fixed in Patch 1.93.129/1.66

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Be aware that the patch notes specifically mention the go here interaction. No clue how that affects NPCs jogging or Sims walking somewhere on their own. Please specific what you see when making a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 46 of 46 (2,807 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: Sims don't run autonomously over long distances anymore

★★★★ Guide

I'm surprised so few people have clicked the Me Too button for this one. I'm also surprised it hasn't been acknowledged as an open issue by the forum staff.

I haven't seen a single sim jog anywhere since the HSY update was released. The only way to make playing tolerable is to spend time leveling up my sim's fitness skill so that I can click on the ground and force them to jog to a specific spot, but even that doesn't fix the issue of having to wait for service sims and NPCs who want to socialize with you to walk long distances to get where they are want to be. And looking for collectibles in an open space is torture.

Please Gurus, look into this.

Message 2 of 46 (7,181 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I am so glad I am not the only one who found this just mildly annoying.

I noticed it right after the HSY update, and was extremely annoyed because my sims would end up being late, or arriving at the destination hours later. What normally took my sims a few minutes to walk/jog to collect things, now takes hours, in turn making my sim late to work (if queued beforehand) and or the day just being wasted. I hope they take notice to this issue! I'm surprised not many people find this an issue as well. 

I also was trying to see if anyone else had this issue before making a post myself! 

Message 3 of 46 (7,094 Views)

Champion

I think this is one of the symptoms of excessive use of cell phone - the Sims aren't running because they're meandering along on their phones instead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 4 of 46 (7,052 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@PipMenace Yeah, I think it's related to to the phone. (I also have this one)
Message 5 of 46 (6,977 Views)

★★ Guide

I did more testing on this.

NPCs don't fiddle with their phone when walking to their destination.
Even if they did, sims can run with their phones out (as seen when they are directed to jog). Phone animations aren't interfering with running.

Mods that disable phone interactions don't seem to help. Sims still walk everywhere.

I have found ONE instance when sims (as well as NPCs) run to their destination: when directed to take shots on the basketball hoop.
This includes all "Take Shots.." interactions as well as Shoot Around (because it just picks from other interactions). Does not apply to Dribbling and Dunks.

Tried with different walkstyles (no change) and with different fitness levels (0, 3, 10: no change).
Scared emotion still triggers running. Didn't check how sims behave in case of emergencies/death.

I want to stress that this is not about the 'Jog Here' user-directed interaction (still available after lvl 3 fitness).
This is about the autonomous running that sims (household members and NPCs) sometimes did when traveling over big distances.

Message 6 of 46 (6,921 Views)

★★ Pro

Yeah this is pretty horrible. If my sims are fit enough, I have to make them first jog somewhere before I can direct them to use some object just so I don't have to wait all day for them to arrive there. Or then just teleport the sims there but I mean.. I'd really not want to start using teleportation as a standard method of transportation in regular gameplay. :/

Message 7 of 46 (6,894 Views)

★ Guide

My sim won’t walk anywhere with the dog on a lead anymore 😞 he’ll ‘take the dog for a walk’ if l choose it off the dog menu but I used to just get the dog on it’s leash and click ‘ go here’ and the sim would walk the dog. Doesn’t happen anymore and I think it’s linked to the walk/mobile phone thing happening now 😒

Message 8 of 46 (6,863 Views)

★★ Novice

My vampire sim almost burned up because he wasn't jogging to get out of the sunlight. 

Message 9 of 46 (6,780 Views)

★★★ Pro

I just can’t collect things anymore, now it takes ages if my sims don’t have a bike. Really who was thinking that sims4 is a good walking simulator?  // at least is a good building simulator, so I have at least something left what is fun. This patch is just awful I am sorry.

Message 10 of 46 (6,695 Views)