[FIXED] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

by xLilacSims

Original Post

Re: [TO ADD] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

★★★ Novice

Found a little bit of a work around for this one in regards to the cooking skill. (I cannot learn from the books, still.) I simply have my sim cook, cook, cook. Her current profession is cooking, and I always have her selected to 'Learn from Master Chefs.'
So far, that's the only skill I have had any luck with. It'll do for now, but I am hoping that we can read books again soon. (I won't be able to purchase GTW for a couple of weeks.)

Message 71 of 80 (2,525 Views)

Re: [TO ADD] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

Hero
Don't buy GTW just to fix this bug. If you want it, that's great but if you just buy it to fix this bug, don't. With all the bugs, it's not worth it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 72 of 80 (2,524 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

★★★ Newbie
I just submitted a complaint to EA because I did an update and bought two packs recently, but can't level up my skills using books. First time I was on to play in months and I can't even enjoy it because I don't have the one pack installed they want me to have in order for the skill books to work. And, there is nothing on Origin's site about this, I spent hours looking. Finally turned to Google, and found this thread. Glad I am not the only one.
Message 73 of 80 (2,468 Views)

Sim unable to gain skill points from level 1 skill book

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Bought book from computer tried to read but couldn't
What happens when the bug occurs? The level one skill book for handiness when on the ground or in sim's inventory doesn't display the read option. Can read book from bookcase, however doesn't give skill point progression.
What do you expect to see? An interaction to read the book and gain skill points according to said book.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Gives no interaction to read while left clicking. can read from bookcase, however gives no skill points while doing so in that way.

Message 74 of 80 (2,437 Views)

Re: Sim unable to gain skill points from level 1 skill book

Hero
@P14y3r95 Merged your post with existing bug report

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 75 of 80 (2,419 Views)

My sims no longer have the ability to learn from reading

★ Novice

After loading either the Jungle Adventures or the Toddler pack (not sure which is the culprit, we loaded them close to each other), my Sims have lost the ability to learn from reading books. None of the skill books work, and they can't seem to finish reading an enjoyment book to fulfill reading whims and goals. I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled Sims 4, thinking that might fix a glitch, but we are having the same issue still. 

Thanks for any help you can give. 

Message 76 of 80 (2,404 Views)

Re: My sims no longer have the ability to learn from reading

Hero

@9laxplayer9

It's a known issue

merged your post with bug report.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 77 of 80 (2,398 Views)

Hero

• You may have been perplexed when you noticed that you couldn’t read anymore. Weird, right? Well just as mysteriously as the ability disappeared, it’s back. Try it, I promise you can do it now.

Fixed in Patch 1.41.42

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 78 of 80 (12,385 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Confirmed what Crin says.  Close Origin entirely, then open it and allow the patch to download or do it manually and it works again!

Message 79 of 80 (2,310 Views)

Re: [FIXED] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

★★★★★ Novice

I’m still having this issue. Logic and herbalism. Tried new sims clear cache repairing reloading. Hopefully the next patch fixes this. 

Message 80 of 80 (1,682 Views)