[FIXED] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

by xLilacSims

Original Post

Sims 4 books not working?

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, Parenthood, Vampires, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to read a skill book, book from the emotion-category, vampire tome or any other book that is supposed to make something happen in the game
What happens when the bug occurs? - I try to read a skill book but the skill bar doesn't come up over my sims head. - I tried to get my vampire sim to read a vampire tome, but she always reads the book for a short amount of time and nothing happens. - I tried to read the book "Honing your minds eye" or something. It has previously granted a focused -moodlet but any of the books that have given moodlets before don't seem to be working anymore My sim does sit down and starts reading it, but it doesn't have any real effect
What do you expect to see? Reading a skill book should raise a skill, reading an emotion book should grant the sim a moodlet, reading a vampire tome should trigger the pop-up that the tome has been read
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I haven't played in 6 months before this, if it matters!

Message 61 of 80 (1,710 Views)

Re: Sims 4 books not working?

Hero
@vellmao

Merged your post with existing thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 62 of 80 (1,702 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Does anyone yet know if this might be fixed soon? 

Message 63 of 80 (1,684 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem, I was reading earlier posts to see if I can report it but it looks like the link has been removed.

Message 64 of 80 (1,678 Views)

Hero
HI @potatoesmolasses

By posting here, you are reporting here. There's no need to report to support.

See explanation here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Sims-can-t-read-books-or-learn-skills-from-them/m-p/668...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 65 of 80 (1,637 Views)

Re: [TO ADD] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

★★★ Novice

Same problem here. Here's some more info:

If you:

Click on a normal book from the bookshelf: There is a read option. The sim will finish reading unusually fast (around one sim hour?)

Click on a normal book from your inventory: There is no read option.

Click on a normal book placed in the game world: There is no read option.

Click on a skill book placed in the game world: There is no read option.

Click on a skill book from your inventory: There is no read option.

Click on a skill book from the bookshelf: There is a read option. The sim will finish reading in 50 in-game minutes. The sim does not gain any skill increase from the book at all.

Message 66 of 80 (1,616 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Same problem.
Message 67 of 80 (1,577 Views)

★ Apprentice
When is this issue going to be fixed? I can't afford to buy Get To Work expansion to fix this on my own. Skill books are a big part of my Sims gameplay/aspiration goals. I can still play but can't learn skills from books (mainly vampire lore skill.) It's like playing half a game.
Message 68 of 80 (1,538 Views)

Hero
Hopefully they can fix this soon but EA/Maxis doesn't give out dates on when something will be fixed.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 69 of 80 (1,535 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 70 of 80 (1,525 Views)