Re: Sims can't read books or learn skills from them since the latest patch updat

by nyterose1

Original Post

Re: Sims can't read books or learn skills from them since the latest patch updat

★★★★★ Novice

My issue is only with skill books

Message 21 of 80 (12,097 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Same with mine, my sims can read any book as long as I click on the bookcase but when I try to select a book from off a table or in my sims inventory, it won’t show me the option to read it and when they read it from out of the bookcase, the book finishes too quickly and there’s no green bar above their head when reading a skill book.
Message 22 of 80 (12,092 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've had the same issue since the patch. My Sim can click on the bookcase and gets an option to read a book but gets no skill from said skill books. I've repaired the game, reinstalled twice and finally reformatted my PC and reinstalled the game thinking the issue may have been with my PC. The issue persists even with a fresh install/save and no mods. My Sims also have no option to read books on a table or in their inventory. There is no skill bar above their head while reading a skill book.

Message 23 of 80 (12,048 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello, I have an issue too with the SKILL Books. Crinrict, enter the game with a sim and buy a SKILL book from the bookcase, for example charisma. Sim starts to read the book and progress cycle of the book is showed at the left side. Sim will read it but skill will be not unlocked and not progressed. When book is marked as being read, the option on the skill book "Read ...XP skill book" disappear. This happened since recent patch.

I have vanilla game (no mods, no CC). I have recently bought and installed bundle "Get together; SPA day and Movie SP". I have nothing else installed. I have repaired game and it still doesn't work.

I support this topic and confirm that SKILL Books definitely have an issue. It has to be checked and fixed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Message 24 of 80 (12,031 Views)

Hero
I did buy a new skill book and they learned just fine.

This thread is currently about two issues which makes it a bit confusing.

1. Read interaction missing from books
2. Skill books not working.

I think we need two topics. Could anyone make a new one for the skill books so we can separate who gets which issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 25 of 80 (12,018 Views)

Re: [TROUBLESHOOT] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, i have the same exact problems, all i can do with skill book is put it inventory or put away or analyze.

I have textures mods and clothing, no scripts that could change how the game work.

I also only have the base game, so it won't come from a bug from an other ExPack.

I also feel that all skills in general feel buggy overall, "like cooking's skill bar goes up but stay at 100% and doesn't lv up" from any learning source like tv show or using the oven/fridge.

I reinstalled the whole game and delete the entire Sims 4 folder to have a fresh install and still have the same issue. 

Message 26 of 80 (12,011 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Do you have issues with normal books ?

EDIT: I have a Sim Charisma level 5. If they read a Level 1 book, they don't get skills at all. If they read a level 2, they do but get bored. Another Sim that has Level 1 Charisma does learn fine from the Level 1 book. I never ever use skill books myself so I don't know how it's supposed to work.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 27 of 80 (12,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Yup, like i said i have everything freshly reinstalled, with no mods and i have the base game, i don't own any stuff packs, game packs nor ExPacks

So i used new sims with no skill at all and made them read different lv 1 book and none of them work properly ( the option to read them is not even available, i have to click on the bookcase and select a book using the "Open" option for them to even read it ) , and when they reach 100% from normal item usage like the oven it take a while before they lv up, the green bar is "bugged" above their heads for a good 5 minutes "real life time" before it lvs up.

It seem like their last patch kinda made the skills overall kinda janky. 

Message 28 of 80 (11,989 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I have a similar issue which might throw light on this. I have all packs (expansion, stuff, pack) installed but sometimes I play with all the packs disabled. Since the patch update, if I have the all the packs enabled the skill books work fine. If I have them all disabled, the skill books do not work as described by other people on this thread. The skill doesn't increase as you would expect, the bar doesn't show, if the book is on a table or other surface there is no option to read etc. If I play the same save with all the packs enabled, the skill books work as you would expect. It seems that skill books might only be working properly when all the packs are installed.

Message 29 of 80 (11,983 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

So it sounds like it's a pack issue.

Could everyone list their packs ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 30 of 80 (11,978 Views)