Re: Sims can't read books or learn skills from them since the latest patch updat

by xLilacSims

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims can't read books or learn skills from them

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Vampires, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Click on a book to view it's available options. Also click on a bookcase and select a skill book from the 'read...' menu.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I click on a book on a table, the only options available are 'analyze', 'put away', 'put in inventory'. And when I click on a bookcase and select a skill book from the 'read...' menu, my sim doesn't learn anything from it.
What do you expect to see? Sims should be able to read books and learn skills from skill books.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The issue started happening after the latest patch update was installed (March 8th, 2018, PC 1.41.38.1020)

My sims can't read any books and it's very frustrating when you're trying to learn the vampire lore skill to earn vampire points.

I made a video to show what is happening; https://youtu.be/nvNlUxNWV5I

EDIT (Crin): This bug only occurs if you don't have GTW installed

Message 1 of 80 (11,765 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My sims no longer have the ability to learn from reading

Hero

• You may have been perplexed when you noticed that you couldn’t read anymore. Weird, right? Well just as mysteriously as the ability disappeared, it’s back. Try it, I promise you can do it now.

Fixed in Patch 1.41.42

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 78 of 80 (12,561 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sims can't read books or learn skills from them since the latest patch updat

Hero
HI @xLilacSims

as you are using mods in your game, have you tried this without any installed ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 80 (11,628 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I don’t have mods on my game. It’s been happening ever since the game was updated yesterday because before that I was playing all the night before and it was fine. :/
Message 3 of 80 (11,604 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

You're initial report had mods/cc put to yes.

I'll check my game.

EDIT: Works fine for me. Could you try repairing your game and als try a new save for testing purposes.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 80 (11,584 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Just did a quick test with vampires and the lore too.

For the skill. Are you sure they're reading the right book for they're skill level ?

Do you see the same issue for other skills ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 80 (11,570 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
No I clicked off 'never used' for the mods question and 'yes' for if it was a patch that caused it. And then I edited my question to add what patch number it was.

And thank you for checking, I'm gonna try to repair it now and I'll let you know if it works.

And yup I had a saved game and my vampire is at the max level and it won't allow me to reread the last book to earn points, so I started a new game to test it and I ordered the first book from the computer and then clicked on it to read and it won't allow me to do anything with the book.
I also try with another skill book and it does nothing. :/

I'm just waiting for the game to finish repairing right now and I will check it again...thank you so much for helping me, by the way. I really appreciate it. Standard smile
Message 6 of 80 (11,564 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Okay so I repaired the game and tried again and it's still not letting me read a book unless I click on the bookcase itself and select a book from the 'read...' menu and when I did that, I clicked on a charisma book to see if it would let my sim learn it but nothing happened. They read the book as if it was a regular book, the green progress bar didn't show and they learned nothing from the book.
Message 7 of 80 (11,545 Views)

Hero

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 80 (11,539 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Okay I just tried deleting the entire folder and then repairing the game and it didn't work. It's still the same, there's no option to read any books. Frown
Message 9 of 80 (11,530 Views)

Hero
With completely new Sims and new house and new save and not putting anything back ? This is really weird.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 80 (11,520 Views)