[FIXED] Sim Home from Work but icon still grey

by dolldrms1

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Sim Home from Work but icon still grey

Champion
If your sim is at home, but their face is greyed out and the game thinks they are at work, I've found that just saving the game and exiting to the main menu, then reloading into the house was enough to workaround it.

When you load back in, your sim will still be greyed out and show as if they are at work, but now the Leave Work Early button should actually work after the reload. You should be able to force them back to normal that way.
Message 51 of 73 (38,755 Views)

Game Says Sim Is At Work When She's Not

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Holiday Pack, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Load up the game and go into a currently played household with a sim who has a job
What happens when the bug occurs? Game says Sim is at work when they're not and don't have to work until hours later
What do you expect to see? Sim should not appear to be at work when she's not
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I just updated my game before this bug occurred to the latest update. Apparently, it is fixed if you have the sim leave work early, however, you still get work experience during the time she was at work (my sim got promoted).

Message 52 of 73 (38,745 Views)

Re: Game Says Sim Is At Work When She's Not

★★★ Newbie
BTW It happens with or without mods enabled.
Message 53 of 73 (38,744 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Something similar happened to me recently, but the sim in question can be directed to do tasks and take care of needs. The icon shows the 'at work' and 'social' buttons, and the inventory is inaccessible. The sim in question is in the Writer career, Author branch, level 7 (Novelist); her aspiration is Bestselling Author and she is on the final step trying to write 3 more bestsellers. I am not completely certain what caused this sim to become stuck "at work"; she did not travel anywhere, nor did any of the other sims in the household. I believe I had directed her to write another book, and when it came time for work, I cancelled the action to write. The game said she was on her way to work, and I didn't even notice she was still home until much later in the sim-day. I *think* she continued writing instead, and the game marked her as being at work when she was still home. Two other sims in the household went to work autonomously during the time, one before and one after the affected sim was supposed to go to work. The only other thing that I can think of that happened in this time is that an infant was born into the family right around the same time, but I don't think this is related to the problem. 

I let her run through two full workdays, hoping it would reset on the next day, but she didn't go to work at the correct time the second day. After I found the issue and she was supposed to be home (the first night), I saved and exited the game, deleted the cache files, repaired the game and re-entered. She was still stuck listed as "at work", and when the time for her to go to work rolled around again, she changed into her work clothes but didn't go to work. I was able to tell her to leave work early (I waited until her shift on the second day would have ended) and it immediately got rid of the 'at work' status. Her progress for work also reset, saying she had not done any of the work-related tasks for the day (she had completed it). 

Relevant game info:

Product: The Sims 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Just this one time so far
What is your current game version number? Version 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Romantic Garden, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar, Holiday Celebration Pack
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Dec 20, 2018 hotfix patch to version 1.48.94.1020

I have saved game files that I originally uploaded for a different issue (digitalistic sketchpad "broke" and only offers me the choices to paint from reference or place the sketchpad). I will go back through my saves and add one from before she got stuck, if it will help.

I was trying to find someone to whom I can PM the links, but not having any luck so the link is in the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Message 54 of 73 (38,728 Views)

Hero

@scooby25611

merged your post with existing thread on the issue.

Please feel free to click the me too button on the first post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 55 of 73 (38,717 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I still don't know what causes this, but I had the same issue; followed my other sim to her active career, and the affected sim was still "at work" even though she was clearly at home. I couldn't access her inventory, and the Leave Work Early option popped up a dialogue that said "____'s still at work....." She was still affected with and without mods on, and after I tried repairing the game. I FINALLY was able to fix this by waiting until she was within range of her shift (7:22 am, her shift was from 7am-2pm) and telling her to leave work. Everyone having this issue should try that and see if it fixes it.

Message 56 of 73 (38,685 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
also having this issue. It only happened after I installed seasons. It also only happens to male characters so far. (not sure what that's about :P)
Message 57 of 73 (38,649 Views)

sim is at home but the controller button for her says she is at work

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? sims4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? get together, get famous, get to work, downtown living, bowling fun, movie fun, luxury party , laundry, perfect patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Let's see. this is a legacy family. There are 2 teens, 1 kid. I had just brought the teen girls back from sunset blvd. like they had JUST got home! I had the dad fixing the dishwasher. then suddenly the mom arrives but the bubble that tells your pay never posted and the ui didn't update
What happens when the bug occurs? Well, i let it run to see what would happen. sometimes it's lag ya know. Well, she slept all night. When she got up and was in the kitchen, so i can click on her sim as she moves around in game;
What do you expect to see? I would expect to see both the window that says she came home from work and how much money she made.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I added the get famous expansion and moved my legacy family to the 64x64 lot there.

‌Hi! I came equipped with a screenshot this time, so you can visually see what I'm trying to explain. So... I got the expansion yesterday. Upload last night. I went to do some legacy research and i notice that I'm supposed to have been on a 64x64. I was currently on a 40x50. I was like hmmm well you know... maybe since i got a new expansion... This one time I'll move them. The new house has been built and ran in game for about three days. On day three i took the two teen girls downtown to fitness center and museum. When the oldest returns home, like just after that the mom returns from work. However, the game doesn't do the usual after work prompt with the bubble saying how much she earned and put in some good work, vacation days, etc. The UI didn't  update either to reflect she is there. However, SHE IS THERE. I can hover over her with the cursor as she is in the house and make the selections that are available when you click on any sim. :/ I just can't click on her tab on the bottom to take control of her as the game thinks she is at work. I haven't tried the new expansion on any other files.

This is like the second problem i've had since downloading the expansion. Yesterday or day before, I had the issue of a bar disappearing on the lot. That reappeared after a restart.

Just for the record i have in fact restarted the came. completely exited origin and then restarted. then i restarted the pc then restarted. I also did the whole back up your game and reset your files. It is still showing the mom at work.

Edit: I just reopened my game. While it shows her as being at work, i tried selecting on stuff; so apparently I can still control her.
I'm still not sure she got paid for work. What happens when she has to go to work again but it thinks she is there already? I'll post an update when I get there.

Edit 2 @ 7:27pm: so i decided to try some stuff. It let me bake with her. However, when I went to have her get ready to take some baked goods down to the flea market.. I'm always waiting on flea market. It would appear I couldn't "open" the fridge. The option is there in the menu, but when selected just does nothing. Then, I noticed in bottom right her inventory is grayed out like at work. I'm including a screencapped box of what it looks like.

Edit 3 @ 7:51pm I also just thought to mention that this is on the chateau peak lot in the Del Sol Valley. since this location in general seems to be on the list of known issues but with /other/ issues. seems it might be important detail

Message 58 of 73 (38,586 Views)

Re: sim is at home but the controller button for her says she is at work

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Ok. This is just also me. The opening post doesn't allow me to add further images. However, her time to go to work came around, and she didn't go. It doesn't give me a button to send her to work either. For visual information, I pointed at the time and also at her work applet that shows the time and no button to go to work. The game isn't recognizing she ever came home from work the other day. I'm assuming she didn't get paid and can now NOT go to work. Frown 

edit @ 8:37p Ok. so... maybe this would have seemed an obvious attempt to help my game. I went into origin just to make sure in case i could repair any files. I clicked that. Finalized. Then, I relaunched my game, and it's STILL like this.

So... it seems this glitch doesn't make the game entirely unplayable. However, this is my new legacy family file. Frown The mom not being able to go to work or access anything in her inventory is a huge no bueno for me. This is depleting household income since she can't get paid if she doesn't go back to work. like i said; not game breaking. Her oldest will adult soon, and then she can help with bills as she'll be getting ready to take over the house as the heir to the kingdom. Still though. She won't be able to make it to that final level 10 of her career since it's like... suspended in job limbo.

Message 59 of 73 (38,562 Views)

Re: sim is at home but the controller button for her says she is at work

Hero

Hi @graceangel20

merged your post with existing thread.

Please click me too on the first post.

There's a few suggestions how to solve in this thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 60 of 73 (38,541 Views)