Re: [OPEN] Plants shrink after harvesting/ Turns into harvestable

by battlescatt

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

@Raynn0124 wrote:

@Psychotps I just did everything short of buying a new PC to reset my game, and STILL saw it happen...

1. Clear Origin cache, as per instructions on EA's page
  2. Restart computer
  3. Open Origin, update and repair Sims 4
  4. Start game, new save (Version 1.64.84.1020, all packs)
  5. Make Sim in CAS, move into house (I usually use Crick Cabana - my previous test Sim was already living elsewhere though, so it's not just that lot or something)
  6. Buy a couple of planter boxes and seed packets
  7. Plant stuff (I started in Spring, so I planted bell peppers and carrots)
  8. Watch Sim play with clay for a sim-week (she wasn't bugged, but *of course* she fished up a lump of it)
  9. At around 6pm Saturday (the last day of Spring) travel to another lot (I went to the library) and stay there all night. Indoor plants were all fully mature and blossoming; The outdoor carrot was mature and blossoming, the outdoor bell pepper was a lump of dirt (as expected)
  10. Return home just after 6am.  All outdoor plants are lumps of dirt (as expected).  Indoor carrots are blossoming (as expected).  Indoor bell peppers are lumps of dirt.
  11. Play a few more hours, and the peppers all start sprouting (as expected).  I forgot this time, but from previous experience I expect that if I had harvested an indoor bell pepper on Saturday, the lump of dirt would not have sprouted (but would have returned to being a fully mature plant by dropping it into household inventory).

The bell peppers are indoors, sheltered, and now in season - they should not be lumps of dirt, ready to sprout or not.

I still don't know what else triggers plants collapsing into lumps of dirt, but this particular trigger is consistent and reproducible (much like super-selling a Cow Plant - there are apparently other triggers too, but maybe figuring out why one thing does it can lead to finding/fixing the others).

I wonder if this issue is linked with the one where the harvestable plants are reverting from high quality (ie. Perfect, Excellent, Magnificent) back to "nice" after harvesting. I know there's another thread with that issue, but just wondering if it's somehow linked to this, as well. I've repaired the game, even shut down for a couple of hours, came back and my once "perfect" plants are still just "nice". I was really hoping the recent update would've fixed all of this by now.

Message 201 of 478 (754 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@1BlessedNonni

I have seen that one and I don't think so. When I had ECO installed and one of the green NAPs, the plants were doing that all the time. They would go from Nice to Excellent, to Perfect, back to Nice in a day or two.

Since I've removed ECO, it hasn't happened since. So, I think that one is related to a NAP problem.
Message 202 of 478 (738 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Psychotps It's the indoor plants that are coming *into* season that revert - going from spring to summer, the bell pepper (summer) reverted (it had been growing fine indoors through the spring, as it should).  The indoor carrot (spring) was fine.  The outdoor plants behaved themselves (carrots growing in the spring, bell peppers dormant until summer, then sprouting).  It happens to indoor/sheltered plants, with or without outdoor versions of the same plant (I just planted the outdoor ones today as a "control group" - usually my plants are all inside/sheltered).  The trigger is definitely being away from the lot when the seasons change.  It only happens to plants that go "dormant" not just "out of season" so yeah, your mod likely prevents it (although if it didn't, that would be interesting too).

@1BlessedNonni 

The plant quality thing is related to the Eco Footprint, more than the NAPs, I think.  When it's green, plants get a bonus to quality (without having to manually evolve), then if it goes back to neutral, they drop a level, but often they're at the top, so they all start sparkling to evolve.  The quality loss seems to happen regardless of whether the plants were perfect before Eco Footprints were even a thing (which is frustrating).

I found the footprint out in Evergreen Harbour (Grim's Quarry) bounced up and down a lot, so my plants were all over the place there.  Either the changes aren't as rapid elsewhere, or I just got better at keeping it green, because I haven't seen it as much lately (also I've been doing a lot of building, rather than actually playing).  I tested a little bit with cheating the footprint up and down, trying to see if they'd revert to dirt piles (they didn't).  Quality went up and down with the changes, although (if I'm remembering right), it only happens if you're on the lot when it changes.  I went green off-lot, then neutral on-lot a few times in a row, but the worst that happened was that my plants all dropped to about 50% of the lowest quality.

I still feel like there may be a connection between the Eco Footprint and the dirt piles, but I haven't been able to reproduce it in testing yet.

Message 203 of 478 (694 Views)

★ Apprentice

07-18-20_9-48-43 PM.png

I have this too

Message 204 of 478 (656 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Raynn0124
I tried it again and I still can't replicate it. I had plants go in and out of dormancy, same plants indoors and outdoors. The outdoor ones regressed as they should, but the indoors ones didn't. Once they came back into season, the indoor ones remained grown and the outdoor ones started growing again.

I have no idea why mine is having absolutely no problems with the gardening. It's not an issue of a mod fixing it, I've verified that. It just never happens to me.

@battlescatt
That's another bug. The basil and sage shrinking is just it displaying the wrong object. They will always do that when fully grown but not bearing fruit. I have a fix for that easy. It happens to me all the time, but only with Sage and Basil.

What everyone else is talking about... I can't duplicate. It never happens to me.
Message 205 of 478 (620 Views)

★ Guide
@Psychotps Is it a new save where you can't replicate the issue?

I got the All seasons gardening mod and it seemed to help(new plants seemed fine) a bit but I didn't get to test for long only a couple of sim days.
Message 206 of 478 (588 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Yaanika New and old. I've never had the problem. If the problem started either with the pre-ECO patch or with ECO itself, I've done dozens of playthroughs since then. New games, template games, old saves, none of them have had the problem.

I saw that mod, I decided not to use it since she stated there were some bugs with it. I know those files extremely well. I've been delving into gardening modding for over a year and my own Gardening for All Seasons mod is definitely bug free. Only just recently released it. Noone had released the Sage/Basil fix at the time so I thought I'd kill two birds and all that.
Message 207 of 478 (567 Views)

★ Guide
@Psychotps Is your mod up for download somewhere? Standard smile
Message 208 of 478 (562 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Yaanika It's up on ModTheSims. Just search for member "gettp". You'll see all my mods.
Message 209 of 478 (511 Views)

Cowplant becomes invisible when supersold

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.64.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansions: Eco lifestyle, Get famous, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get together. Gamepacks: Realm of magic, Strangerville, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine out. Stuff: Tiny Living, Laundry Day, Bowling night, Vintage Glamour, Cool Kitchen. Free: Both of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a cowplant close to other plants. Supersell the other plats.
What happens when the bug occurs? The cowplant now looks like a cowplant seedling! It's still fully interactable, as if the plant was invisible, except for it's slobber. Everything works again when using the reset object cheat.
What do you expect to see? The cowplant shouldn't become invisible/shouldn't be supersellable.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Honestly, it's a mostly funny bug Standard smile

Message 210 of 478 (495 Views)