Re: [OPEN] Plants shrink after harvesting/ Turns into harvestable

by 1BlessedNonni

Original Post

★★★★ Expert
@Yaanika I've heard that but I don't have Sims for console. I'm not sure though. Skyrim and Fallout can have mods on console as long as there are no new assets? It's very limited but still...

I don't know if it matters but I don't even have ECO Lifestyle installed at the moment. I removed it because NOTHING in it works at all, and having it in was causing more problems than not having it. So, I removed it. I'll re-install it if the fix the bugs.

I still have the latest patch, but users here were saying they had the problem even though they didn't have ECO either.

I just don't know. I guess I'll count my blessings that I'm not having this bug! I just wish I could figure out the problem, maybe help the devs figure it out and get it fixed sooner. Help everyone else. {defeated sigh}
Message 191 of 478 (1,014 Views)

★ Guide
@Psychotps It started with a patch in June. Whether it was the one before Eco or the one after I don't remember. So it's not Eco causing this.
Message 192 of 478 (1,002 Views)

★★ Guide
@Yaanika It was the one before, though it wasn't reported at the time because so many players (myself included) were distracted by the Patch's other big bug, which broke any Saved Game over a certain size that had been used just prior to it's release. A fix was eventually came along for that though (thankfully), which was released pretty much on the day Eco Lifestyle went Live. The first issue I actually noticed, before the "regression" bug occured in my game, was actually to do with spliced plants i.e. I couldn't harvest anything rare stuff like Dragonfruit or cowberries etc. Then things started taking very long to "improve" (despite being tended by someone with the perk to improve plant vitality). Finally the regression thing then happened, along with other weird stuff, like the Cowplant model bug, plants dying if you took a cutting from them, trees sitting as fledgling plants for days and days, then "pop", the became fully grown, only to decide to pop back into the soil again when they weren't on-screen for a moment. The patch, and by association Eco-Lifestyle, broke the gardening "mechanic", not just any one aspect of it, and for some reason EA's Dev/Support Team have now gone completely silent on the issue, which annoys me as a Computer Engineer. They broke it, and yet Gardening (not the Profession, the mechanic) had gone unbroken for years before now (it had survived many other Expansions and Game Packs, but not "this" one). Who knows if or even "when" the bug will be rectified, but I can't help feeling that the Dev/Support Team are trying to fix a problem by patching-up something that could just as easily have been removed (because it was what caused the issue) as soon as they saw there was a problem. But because they refuse to go back on a decision, they are now stuck in a hole with no way out.
Message 193 of 478 (961 Views)

★ Guide
@Neutrobyte This reminds me, I had a big garden and everything seemed to be fine but I never was able to harvest the rare plants from spliced plants. So I think you're right.
Message 194 of 478 (932 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Yaanika

The patch came out right before ECO. There's always a patch right before a pack. It's usually to prepare the game for those who might purchase it... as well as provide in-game advertising for it. Frown If they throw in a couple of bug fixes as well, so much the better.

All these tests I did was without ECO. I removed it because it was causing too many problems. I didn't list it but one of the plants I had was a spliced Strawberry/Snapdragon/Dragonfruit. So, it's not that either.

I have no idea what's breaking it, mod problem, corrupted save, or a bug, but it's not doing it for everyone. I know because I TRIED to get it to happen and failed. Tried for over two days. I've played dozens of saves and new worlds/households since eco came out and I can't get it to happen. Not even once.
Message 195 of 478 (904 Views)

Re: Picking Sage or Basil the plant looks as though it were not planted

★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? First time I've seen it
What is your current game version number? 1.64.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Luxury Party Stuff, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Gardening in the game.
What happens when the bug occurs? Plants reverted back to looking like their original "seed"
What do you expect to see? Plants growing like normal and not resetting to their "seed" stage
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Only MCCC which I eventually got just for the cheats to getting around this games multitude of bugs
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? unknown. I haven't played in a while and started playing again yesterday
Please describe the patch or change you made. unknown

I have run into so many bugs in this game and never got mods because I didn't want it to start bugging out worse! This game to me is like that really awful boyfriend who treats you terribly all the time but you love him so much you keep going back to him. But this boyfriend makes you pay him to mistreat you. LOL I finally got MCCC when a relationship status bug made the game unplayable to me and I needed a cheat to get around the bug.

Message 196 of 478 (875 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict  I've searched to see if anyone reported anything like this when it comes to the cow plant. I planted one and it matured, but for some reason it went back to the baby stage after I fed it. Now, the animation is still the baby, but my Sim is interacting with a "ghost" full-sized cow plant. I've also had the same issue as the OP, so maybe they're connected?

Message 197 of 478 (863 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I've only had plants revert to seeds a few times, but every single bug described in this thread has happened at least once. The cowplant reverting to a baby but still interacting, trees and plants reverting to mounds of dirt at random times, etc. Something is very broken with plants, but it may just be such a complicated issue that they've not been able to hot fix it just yet. Here's hoping they're working on the solution(s)!!

Message 198 of 478 (856 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Psychotps I just did everything short of buying a new PC to reset my game, and STILL saw it happen...

1. Clear Origin cache, as per instructions on EA's page
  2. Restart computer
  3. Open Origin, update and repair Sims 4
  4. Start game, new save (Version 1.64.84.1020, all packs)
  5. Make Sim in CAS, move into house (I usually use Crick Cabana - my previous test Sim was already living elsewhere though, so it's not just that lot or something)
  6. Buy a couple of planter boxes and seed packets
  7. Plant stuff (I started in Spring, so I planted bell peppers and carrots)
  8. Watch Sim play with clay for a sim-week (she wasn't bugged, but *of course* she fished up a lump of it)
  9. At around 6pm Saturday (the last day of Spring) travel to another lot (I went to the library) and stay there all night. Indoor plants were all fully mature and blossoming; The outdoor carrot was mature and blossoming, the outdoor bell pepper was a lump of dirt (as expected)
  10. Return home just after 6am.  All outdoor plants are lumps of dirt (as expected).  Indoor carrots are blossoming (as expected).  Indoor bell peppers are lumps of dirt.
  11. Play a few more hours, and the peppers all start sprouting (as expected).  I forgot this time, but from previous experience I expect that if I had harvested an indoor bell pepper on Saturday, the lump of dirt would not have sprouted (but would have returned to being a fully mature plant by dropping it into household inventory).

The bell peppers are indoors, sheltered, and now in season - they should not be lumps of dirt, ready to sprout or not.

I still don't know what else triggers plants collapsing into lumps of dirt, but this particular trigger is consistent and reproducible (much like super-selling a Cow Plant - there are apparently other triggers too, but maybe figuring out why one thing does it can lead to finding/fixing the others).

Message 199 of 478 (784 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Raynn0124 That's interesting, it's not something I tried.

So, you had both indoor and outdoor versions of the same plant. When summer came up, the outdoor version regressed to out of season as it should, but the indoor version did as well?

It sounds like when a plant goes into dormancy, all versions of the same plant do as well, even if they're indoors.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I can recreate that. I'll have to remove my mod as it stops all plants from going into dormancy.
Message 200 of 478 (763 Views)