Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Bushes shrink after harvesting

by raiface

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Bushes shrink after harvesting

★★★ Apprentice

Sage seems to be a common factor.  Sage and parsley for me, also right now... snapdragon.  None of my plants are spliced. 

Currently NONE of my plants that are indoors are growing harvestables at all. 

Message 111 of 478 (1,615 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Plants shrink after harvesting/ Turns into harvestable

[ Edited ]
Champion

I have a weird thing I just realized, since I hadn't used the vertical planters yet...

I have several 'multi-plants' that are spliced into sage to make them year-round. So... normally when I add them from the gallery/my library into a lot they're always in season, so the plant is full-sized (not a dirt pile) no matter what season when I place them.

However.... now when I place the plants they place as a tiny plant with an odd tan area. If played they're fully grown the next day after watering them (see comment #19 on this thread), then when harvested they regress to this weird small state.

But... I just placed the plants from my library into my new build, and, as I mentioned, they looked like this...
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.07.12 AM.png

And as soon as I drag one into a Vertical Planter (Eco Lifestyle), without playing it or watering it - still in unowned build mode and no Sim on the lot - it instantly looked like this:
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.10.43 AM.png

Serious weirdness and food for thought!

So, possibly one workaround could be to put sage plants and plants spliced into sage into the vertical planters?

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 112 of 478 (1,586 Views)

Re: Plant growth state reversion

Same. My plants keep collapsing randomly all at once. It's as if the season has changed and they go back to just the lump of dirt even though they are all sheltered. But the season hasn't changed. It can happen every day or every few days. The longest I've made it without them collapsing is a week. Sometimes the quality changes also but not every time. (Sim days and week. Not real time) My Sim relies on the plants for money and the freelance crafter career. Can't harvest from a lump of dirt...

Message 113 of 478 (1,557 Views)

★★★ Expert

@BumblingJuicebox I also had several indoor/sheltered plants collapse back into lumps of dirt when the season changed. This never happened in my game prior to the EL game patch. I waited for several in-game days and the plants showed no signs of regrowing so I started to move them back into my household inventory (to save them for whenever some of these new gardening bugs are fixed) but as soon as they were in my inventory they looked like fully-grown plants again! So I moved them back from my household inventory to the indoor planters and they seem fine again, like moving them into the household inventory reset them or something. So maybe try moving your lumps of dirt into your household inventory and then back into your garden again & maybe it will fix them (until the next season change anyway).

Message 114 of 478 (1,511 Views)

Champion

@RandomBuzziness Awesome discovery and workaround! 💡👏

I find it very interesting, also, as I found that if I had items on a lot that were from debug, came on the lot, were downloaded from the gallery, or were for whatever reason not showing up in the 'Household Collections' in the Sims' Personal Inventory, if I dragged the item into Household Inventory (or grab and delete it to get it there), then drag it back onto the lot, for most items this kicks them in to show up in 'Household Collections'. (This trick doesn't work on debug fish.) Sometimes the item showed up in collections as soon as it was in Household Inventory. So... not sure if it's a related thing (as you said, maybe a reset or something), but it's an interesting trick. 🤔

Message 115 of 478 (1,491 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@SheriGR My Sim has some high-quality flowers that she had harvested back before the EL patch on June 3rd and she keeps them in an in-game storage box or in a flower arranging station. When she places one of these flowers in a planter pot to grow a new plant the flower and the mound of dirt from the newly-planted seed just disappears! If she travels off-lot and returns home the seed/flower reappears sitting on top of the planter pot like it was placed there but never planted. This also happens with high-quality fruits or veggies she has stored in her refrigerator. Last night I discovered that the household storage trick seems to work with those as well. If I put the flowers into her household storage first and then take them out to plant them they will stay planted and start to grow just fine. I will test this on some fruits and veggies from her refrigerator later today.

I generally like to use perfect-quality roses as fertilizer for all of my other garden plants and my stash of harvested roses was starting to get low. With this household storage trick I was able to re-plant my perfect roses to grow new flowers again.

Message 116 of 478 (1,440 Views)

Champion

@RandomBuzziness My Eco lot's on strike atm, so I am definitely going to test this with my multi plants this evening - probably on a new lot. Wink Thanks!

Message 117 of 478 (1,398 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am still having this problem, even after putting them into family inventory, usually when i move households. 

Message 118 of 478 (1,342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@megansarah29 Yeah my Sim recently moved too but the gardening bugs were happening both before and after she moved. Every harvestable she had in any type of storage, i.e. refrigerator, treasure box, flower arranging station, Household Storage, etc., would not plant properly. If she tried to plant any of them there would temporarily be a mound of dirt but then it would totally disappear with no plant in the ground. If she traveled and then returned home the harvestable would reappear on top of the ground where she tried to plant it. New seeds from seed packets seem to be working just fine, it's just the items she had in storage that would not work.

The work-around I am trying goes like this:
1. Take the item out of storage and place it on the ground.
2. Go into Build mode and place the item in your Household Storage
3. While still in Build mode take the item back out of Household Storage and place it on the ground.
4. Exit Build mode and plant the item

This seems to be working for me so far for both new plants from seeds and for existing plants I put in Household storage when they went out of season. Most of my gardening is done outdoors but I keep a few plants in planter pots in a greenhouse, the "disappearing plant" bug is happening both indoors and outdoors in my game. I had a lot of perfect roses stored in a flower arranging station that the game would not let me plant until after I did the work-around, same thing for some perfect fruits I had stored in a refrigerator. My current game has mods (nothing related to gardening that I am aware of) but I also tested this in a mod-free test save.

Message 119 of 478 (1,268 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@RandomBuzziness I saw it happen once or twice. It didn't happen all the time.

What I did to fix it was, when I tried to plant on the ground and it vanished, I just put down a planter pot and planted it in that. When it planted fine, I just moved it back to the normal ground. (with moveobjects enabled)
Message 120 of 478 (1,256 Views)