Re: new patch is freezing game

by SimGuruRitzy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [PC] Stop and go Lags/freezes since Patch 1.88 (Pronouns)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Thanks for all the feedback and information you all provided. It looks like this is fixed now.

The game does still have lags but the issue that cropped up with the patch seems to be gone now. Please update your game.

If you still have major lags, please create your own thread in the Tech forums, posting your information so it can be looked at and you can be helped individually . 

This issue is currently being looked into by EA. Please provide as much information as you can to help find the cause of this.

This thread is for Windows ONLY (doesn't matter if Windows 10/11). If you have this issue on console or mac, please post in the according tech forums for now.

Symptoms of this issue

The game lags and freezes on and off, starting from the main menu and is hardly playable. These lags started with Patch 1.88, before it was more or less fine. Please make sure that's the type of lag your seeing. There are other lag issues in the game and they may have gotten worse but this one is very specific. It's a bit like stop and go: Game freezes for like 10-20 seconds, then it goes on for about 2 min, then it freezes again.

Files Needed

Please attach these files to your post

• DxDiag
  • Config.log (can be found in your documents folder)

Other info needed

• Did you have lags before this update ? If so, where ?
  • Where does the game lag now ? Everywhere or specific areas ? The main symptom of this particular lag is that it starts from the main menu.
  • Do you play a fresh or an existing save game ? --> Looks like it's save game unrelated
  • Are you using mods/cc and if so, have you tested without them ? --> Mods/CC have nothing to do with this issue
  • How much RAM is the game using while you play ? Open the task manager and check RAM usage for the The Sims 4 (or TS4_x64.exe) process Doesn't look like it's a RAM issue.
  • Please send your save games to @SimGuruNick as per instructions given here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/td-p/606...
  • What is your GPU/CPU Usage ? To find out, Start the game and load a save game, then open the task manager and monitor the GPU/CPU usage under Processes/The Sims 4. It will go up and down so just post an average number.
  • Does it work if you go offline ? (Cut the Internet Connection, not just go offline in Origin) --> Looks like this doesn't make a difference.
  • Are you using EA App or Origin ? --> Looks like this doesn't make a difference

Please check back on this post as I will use it to add more info as it comes in.

So far it seems mainly AMD cards and borderline/low specs Intel cards are affected by this. 

What can you do ?

@BHopper2 found that turning off the SDX Deliveries does make it better. Turn them off completely.

It doesn't look like there's a workaround but please, do check if there are newer graphics drivers. I don't think it will help much but if you are on Nvidia or a newer AMD card, it might help anyways (I believe that if it does you have a different cause than what this thread is).

Checking DxDiags revealed that the cards affected most are the following

• AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R4 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R9 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (older chip models)
  • AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics
  • AMD Radeon HD 7480D
  • AMD Radeon HD 8470D
  • Older Intel Chips with <= 512 MB of dedicated Memory
  • Older NVIDIA Cards
  • Windows 8.1

There are a few stray to that list but for them it could be a different issue. If there are newer graphics drivers for you, update.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 25 of 309 (11,833 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

I want to thank everyone that provided information for this issue that allowed EA to fix it so quickly.

Sims 4 is a very complex game when it comes to simulation, especially for older and long played saves so lags will probably be always part of it BUT it shouldn't be as bad as what you have experienced since Tuesday.

There are a few open threads for lags that you can post in if you have these issues

If you still have issues that are really bad, please post in the Tech forums of your platform, providing your specs and DxDiag so a helper can assist you in decipher these.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 303 of 309 (7,370 Views)

All Replies

Re: Game freezes trying to exit out pop up annoucement May 2022

★★★ Newbie

you are not alone my game is badly frozen as well with this new update... i hope they are able to fix this soon

Message 1 of 309 (9,614 Views)

Sims 4 constantly freezing after update

★★★ Newbie

My game never froze like this before but after this pronouns update my game freezes every couple seconds and stays frozen for almost 30 seconds at a time, and if I try to click anything on my screen a message pops up saying that sims 4 isn’t responding. I don’t have any mods or cc, I have tried repairing game and clearing cache, none worked.

Message 2 of 309 (11,955 Views)

Lags since pronoun patch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

sul sul!

so since the pronouns update, my game lags extremely which makes it difficult to even get a saved game/new game started up. i've removed my mods, tried to repair the game on origin (i play on PC) and nothing has worked so far. i've also tried deleting some saved games and clearing cache. any tips on how i can fix this? 

Edit By Crinrict: Split from other thread, Adjusted Titel

Message 3 of 309 (12,005 Views)

Re: Sims 4 constantly freezing after update

@nasgodlyy  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 309 (11,925 Views)

new patch is freezing game

★★ Apprentice

I installed the patch on my pc released today, 5/24/22  and  now when i try to play, the game freezes about every 10-20 seconds and takes about 15 to 20 seconds to start responding again...is there a way to uninstall this patch? i just want my game to work again. 

Message 5 of 309 (9,554 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It freezes up for me every 30 seconds or so.  Pretty much unplayable.

Message 6 of 309 (9,572 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Oh, good. Not just me.

Message 7 of 309 (9,537 Views)

EA Staff
@MissNOFX
Hello!
Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Your issue sounds the same as this one, which we are already tracking and investigating;
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Game-freezes-trying-to-exit-out-pop-up-annoucement-May-2022/td...

could you please confirm and if yes, please hit me too on the above thread.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 309 (9,494 Views)

my game is now virtually unplayable due to new patch

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

my game is now pretty much unplayable due to the new patch....and i cant find a single human to help me...ive uninstalled and reinstalled...no change. the game goes unresponsive for about 20 seconds EVERY 15 to 20 seconds. ive been trying ALL DAY to fix this and im about to just quit the game all together. 

same!!!!! im so irritated

its happening to me without mods

[Merged by CM]

Message 9 of 309 (9,470 Views)